Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A couple of questions:

Has anyone tried to apply for a 10y visa from the Toronto consulate office? Any problems or issues?

Any further data points on being denied the 10yr visa if you are a non-Chinese naturalized vs native born US citizen?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I just received my 10 year L visa multiple-entry with 60 days per entry from the NYC consulate.

Very easy process, hours are now 9am-2:30pm, vs. the split morning and afternoon hours before. This time I arrived around 2:15pm to drop off my passport and application, and also to pick up the passport. No lines, maybe 3 minute wait once inside. Took 5 business days from when I dropped my application (pick up on the 5th day). I booked a refundable air ticket and hotels just in case, will cancel now.

Other data points: Have had 4-5 China visas over the past 7 years, L and F visas, am a U.S. born citizen.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: American Air, Southwest, Hilton
Originally Posted by transparent
I just received my 10 year L visa multiple-entry with 60 days per entry from the NYC consulate.

Very easy process, hours are now 9am-2:30pm, vs. the split morning and afternoon hours before. This time I arrived around 2:15pm to drop off my passport and application, and also to pick up the passport. No lines, maybe 3 minute wait once inside. Took 5 business days from when I dropped my application (pick up on the 5th day). I booked a refundable air ticket and hotels just in case, will cancel now.

Other data points: Have had 4-5 China visas over the past 7 years, L and F visas, am a U.S. born citizen.
I am having difficulty getting a friend who is a naturalized US Citizen (emigrated from Nepal) a 10 yr visa At the DC PRC Embassy. He has a T bet an name and they are asking for more and more documents. I'll keep you posted.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:36 am

a few questions and points

I have a few questions and points.

Has anyone received a S2 visa? Did you get 90 days? Which embassy did you use?

How long is really needed to be left on your passport. I have read 12 months most recently but I have also read as high as 14 and as low as 8.

Has anyone heard of a 10 year visa being issued at a consulate other than the US and Hong Kong? I have a vacation coming up and I would really really like to be able to get this visa in Thailand. My guess is that they will not give it but I would like to hear from anyone who has tried.

If I get a new passport will China know that I have had multiple chinese visas before. I've heard people say a new passport is like a new person before in regards to getting rejected for a tourist visa for having too many tourist visas.

Anyone want to give me some advise for my situation? I have about a year and a week left on my passport. I am in Shenzhen now and will fly to Bangkok for a month vacation. I'm on a S2 visa 90 day stays that expires end of feb. Problem is i didn't think about this when booking my ticket and I have a return ticket to Shenzhen that is for early march. If I go back before my visa expires I get an extra 90 days I just can't leave. But if I can get 10 years who cares about throwing away 90 days.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'm pretty sure the requirement for time left on your passport is just a minimum for all visas. After your PP expires, you can still carry that around to show your visa with your new PP.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have a year and about three weeks left on my current passport, which has several Chinese visas and one TWOV. I had planned to get the ten year visa on the new passport, then started to think about doing it before a TWOV trip I have ticketed for next month, and now I'm doubting what strategy I should use. I don't think there's much time to get both the new passport and the visa before my March trip, but I could pay for expedited service. If I'm going to run into passport must not expire soon rules for travel during the coming year, now is almost the obvious time to be without a passport for a while, but renewing more than a year in advance seems a bit excessive as much as I prefer to do this during low season.

What is the collective wisdom here?

I have one other long term reciprocity fee sticker in the current passport, so I'll need to keep it handy for a few trips over the next six or seven years, but probably fewer than the number of times I'm likely to come to China.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have a year and about three weeks left on my current passport, which has several Chinese visas and one TWOV. I had planned to get the ten year visa on the new passport, then started to think about doing it before a TWOV trip I have ticketed for next month, and now I'm doubting what strategy I should use. I don't think there's much time to get both the new passport and the visa before my March trip, but I could pay for expedited service. If I'm going to run into passport must not expire soon rules for travel during the coming year, now is almost the obvious time to be without a passport for a while, but renewing more than a year in advance seems a bit excessive as much as I prefer to do this during low season.

What is the collective wisdom here?

I have one other long term reciprocity fee sticker in the current passport, so I'll need to keep it handy for a few trips over the next six or seven years, but probably fewer than the number of times I'm likely to come to China.
You should get a PRC visa in your current passport since:
1) you'll need to tote around with you for the next 6-7 years, anyway
and
2) the new passport will be spared of a wasted page

Some would also add a #3 point -- we don't know how long this 10 year thing will last; but, I'm not especially concerned about such because the US side is clearly committed to it, and rich/powerful Chinese REALLY like the new arrangement.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:59 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not especially concerned about such because the US side is clearly committed to it, and rich/powerful Chinese REALLY like the new arrangement.
So do their kids. Was in Hollywood this weekend. They party 2AM to 2PM.
VIP bottle service and valet for their Lambos and Ferraris. ^
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:36 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
So do their kids. Was in Hollywood this weekend. They party 2AM to 2PM.
VIP bottle service and valet for their Lambos and Ferraris. ^
easy come, easy go....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
An agent--who seemed very knowledgable--from one of visa service agencies in the USA just told me that there's been a rush to apply for the ten year visa because of rumors that the price would rise on about February 1-2, which is (according to the agent) not true.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:34 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by gohima
easy come, easy go....
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by klorenz
I am having difficulty getting a friend who is a naturalized US Citizen (emigrated from Nepal) a 10 yr visa At the DC PRC Embassy. He has a T bet an name and they are asking for more and more documents. I'll keep you posted.
If they are giving hard time issuing visa for having a T bet an name, I'm sure getting TAR visa(restricted t bet an areas) would be impossible.. Please keep us posted..
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:40 am

Well we are still waiting on an answer. They have a lot of documents from the US naturalized Nepali. We even had to have some translated for the PRC embassy in DC.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by WoodenRobot
If they are giving hard time issuing visa for having a T bet an name, I'm sure getting TAR visa(restricted t bet an areas) would be impossible.. Please keep us posted..
I agree, we just want to play tourist. Our flights are going to Chengdu. In hindsight that may have been a mistake. Beijing or shanghai might have had more neutral connotations.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:27 pm

Well we are still waiting on an answer. They have a lot of documents from the US naturalized Nepali. We even had to have some translated for the PRC embassy in DC.
I know few tibs with t bet an names (us citizens) who succesfully visited t bet. Also I know another one who visited t bet several times (he is on F1 student visa but of nepali citizen).. So I'm optimistic everything should go smoothly eventually..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.