Reload this Page >

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:48 pm

FYI - first time requesting a China business multiple-entry visa, no travel history to China. Asked for 1 year ME (as was current), received 10 year ME visa on 11/14. NY Consulate. I'm very pleased as this will save me a lot of hassle going forward.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by trueblu
This appears very harsh to me!! It seems to suggest that it's good only for tourists, but not for cultural/academic exchange, which appears rather short-sighted to me.
In practice, plenty of people use L or M visas for attending conferences, short courses, and anything else that doesn't involve paid work in China. I've never heard of anyone getting in anything even vaguely resembling trouble for this, and I would be absolutely shocked if anything has changed with respect to this.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Scifience
In practice, plenty of people use L or M visas for attending conferences, short courses, and anything else that doesn't involve paid work in China. I've never heard of anyone getting in anything even vaguely resembling trouble for this, and I would be absolutely shocked if anything has changed with respect to this.
Agree, up to a point. I wouldn't have any problem suggesting that somebody who is going to be attending a short academic conference or similar do it on an M business visa now (instead of the correct F visa). But if one was going to be part of a presentation panel, keynote speaker, or something not so anonymous, then I'd say get the right visa for that which is F.

I am a little surprised that they don't have this longer-term option for the F category, to be issued on a case-by-case basis depending on the situation such as repetitive visit academic types. But maybe that option will be offered a bit later.

I am unfortunately in a bad-timing situation for getting one of the longer term L/M visas. My current passport expires in 13.5 months (early January 2016) and my information is same as Bear presented upthread: not eligible since not enough passport validity left. So I'm going to just stick with the tried-and-true 12 month multiple with 90 day stay and then see what's what at end of 2015 when a new passport gets issued.

Last edited by jiejie; Nov 18, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised in that many countries seem to consider speaking at a research conference to be a business purpose and require a business visa.
Unless all of the researchers attending the conference do their research as a hobby, it makes sense to me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Unless all of the researchers attending the conference do their research as a hobby, it makes sense to me.
I wonder how they view mileage runs for visa purposes.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TENYKS
Lol, try explaining that concept to the visa office.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Lol, try explaining that concept to the visa office.
Some things are best left unsaid.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:27 am

What if Joe Biden decides to visit Dharamsala? What if Taiwan gets a new order of fighter jets? Etc.

On the one hand, I’m cautiously optimistic the ten-year visa will be here to stay. On the other, I’m not going to place too big a bet on that optimism. Even the conservative US-China Chamber of Commerce says, "As international relations can change quickly without advanced notice, we urge you to take advantage of this new policy and apply for your China visa at your earliest convenience."

So myself I’ll try to get a new visa within the next several months.

I hear Dharamsala's most pleasant in the Fall.

Last edited by 889; Nov 19, 2014 at 4:18 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:04 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
How to.

http://efficientasianman.boardingare...n-to-shanghai/

Originally Posted by TENYKS
One night in Shanghai.
China visa for mileage run.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
1. Any experince on 10 year visa outside USA/HK (especially London china consulate)
2. I have been using my other nationality PP for my very extensive china travels (because cheaper visas till now), will they accept that as evidence of prior China travel?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seaskybound
2. I have been using my other nationality PP for my very extensive china travels (because cheaper visas till now), will they accept that as evidence of prior China travel?
Well when I've gotten new passports they want a copy of the most recent visa and copy of old passport page, so you could try. But then again its YMMV.

On a side note: today I pickup my passport! Yeah! Just 7 hours till they open
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
How to.

http://efficientasianman.boardingare...n-to-shanghai/

One night in Shanghai.
China visa for mileage run.
Yes, but it's less clear how they'd deal with a zero-night mileage run as the initial basis for a visa, isn't it? They require evidence of a hotel reservation - query whether they'd accept the explanation "I don't need one; not spending the night."
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:04 pm

Confirmed! Walking out of the HK embassy now, 1100 hkd poorer but with a genuine 10 year visa! Yippee!

I'm so happy not to have to see the inside of another Chinese visa office for the next decade that I'm running to Shenzhen right now for no good reason other than to try out my new toy. Lol
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, but it's less clear how they'd deal with a zero-night mileage run as the initial basis for a visa, isn't it? They require evidence of a hotel reservation - query whether they'd accept the explanation "I don't need one; not spending the night."
This subtopic isn't useful because none of us would be stupid enough to go that route.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:06 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
"I don't need one; not spending the night."
It's a long journey, best to enjoy at least a short stay in the middle kingdom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.