Reload this Page >

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:12 am

Did John Kerry put his diplomatic foot in his mouth?

He made this pledge in Beijing yesterday: "If you’re one of the two million Chinese or American citizens who travel between our countries every year, and that will grow, but if you’re one of those two million now, you will not have to reapply and pay the application fee every year."

All so good. Till he went curiously on: "But let me emphasize: What I am talking about today, this ten-year proposal from America, is not a one-time deal; it’s not just for a short time, this is here, it’s here to stay. And this is not a reciprocal – it’s a long-term reciprocal arrangement, but when we say it’s here to stay, we mean it. We will issue a ten-year visa to qualified applicants tomorrow, next month, and next year, and that’s our commitment."

Was he implying that even if China backtracks, the U.S. will stay with the program?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Did John Kerry put his diplomatic foot in his mouth?

He made this pledge in Beijing yesterday: "If you’re one of the two million Chinese or American citizens who travel between our countries every year, and that will grow, but if you’re one of those two million now, you will not have to reapply and pay the application fee every year."

All so good. Till he went curiously on: "But let me emphasize: What I am talking about today, this ten-year proposal from America, is not a one-time deal; it’s not just for a short time, this is here, it’s here to stay. And this is not a reciprocal – it’s a long-term reciprocal arrangement, but when we say it’s here to stay, we mean it. We will issue a ten-year visa to qualified applicants tomorrow, next month, and next year, and that’s our commitment."

Was he implying that even if China backtracks, the U.S. will stay with the program?
The quote is strange but it should mean that it is not a short term arrangement and rather a long time arrangement (here to stay) in both directions.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:24 am

This will never happen... but if China gives US citizens visa-free access to the country, will the number of Americans visiting China increase?(by how much?)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TENYKS
This will never happen... but if China gives US citizens visa-free access to the country, will the number of Americans visiting China increase?(by how much?)
I think this is a very long time in coming- I wouldn't bet on this within any reasonable timeframe.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:39 am

glad to see this implemented so quickly. I will not miss the hassle of renewing it every year.

As far as visa free access to China, China will never agree to that unless and until the PRC is allowed to join the Visa Waiver Program. Seems unlikely this will happen within within the next 10-20 years but frankly the 10 year visa is close enough for most people.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:09 am

From the Chinese standpoint, apart from the initial application, a 10-year visa has some advantages over a U.S. Visa Waiver: no absolute need for a ticket out, no 90-day problems from short trips to Canada, and no need for biennial ETSA registration and fee payment. Further, while a visa is not a guaranty of admission to the U.S., as a practical matter a Chinese visitor will generally feel more comfortable heading to America with a visa in hand.

So I'd agree that for most Chinese and most Americans, a 10-year visa is almost equivalent to visa-free entry.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by 889

When China has a regime change, the US will probably review the program again.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:02 pm

apply it as soon as you can

right now, both country make PR move. At least, right now 10 years visa to seem to be in default mode for PR purpose for chinese government. For long term, I do not think it fit chinese bureaucracy thought pattern. It might be attempt to give only ten year visa for certain group of people, other wise bureaucracy will feel of lost control. The other reason to shorting visa is to control Chinese born american citizen. The visa fee is important financial resource for local consulate, the consulate will try to shorting visa for this also.

Last edited by travel69; Nov 13, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travel69
right now, both country make PR move. At least, right now 10 years visa to seem to be in default mode for PR purpose for chinese government. For long term, I do not think it fit chinese bureaucracy thought pattern. It might be attempt to give only ten year visa for certain group of people, other wise bureaucracy will feel of lost control. The other reason to shorting visa is to control Chinese born american citizen. The visa fee is important financial resource for local consulate, the consulate will try to shorting visa for this also.
Did it ever occur to you that there are Chinese people who value the ability to travel to the US without getting visas every year?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Did it ever occur to you that there are Chinese people who value the ability to travel to the US without getting visas every year?
It is good for normal chinese. but it did not fit consulate bureaucracy habit.
I just say the chinese consulate in US later will create some condition to only grant few people to qualify 10 years visa. Right now, it is PR time,every one should get 10 year visa easily . later, it might require such as only people visiting China certain time etc. and chinese born person might need more paper etc. it still satisfy the agreement because it is up to ten years.

Last edited by travel69; Nov 13, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:53 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
A few million who had to wait in the bone chilling cold of winter in Beijing, to go through these gates to get a visa.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Nov 14, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is good for normal chinese. but it did not fit consulate bureaucracy habit.
I just say the chinese consulate in US later will create some condition to only grant few people to qualify 10 years visa. Right now, it is PR time,every one should get 10 year visa easily . later, it might require such as only people visiting China certain time etc. and chinese born person might need more paper etc. it still satisfy the agreement because it is up to ten years.
If the Chinese were to play games of this sort, the US would likely follow suit, and the entire arrangement would crumble.

Under the --in place until earlier this week -- previous rules, some consulates in the US didn't automatically issue multiple entry visas to first time applicants. But, they didn't exactly throttle availability either. Also, during the run up to the Beijing Olympics, there was a 5 month period in which good visas were hard to come by. After that dust settled, things returned to normal, and both sides continued to honor their reciprocal commitments.

What makes you think things will be any different now?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:17 pm

If the Chinese were to play games of this sort, the US would likely follow suit, and the entire arrangement would crumble.

Under the --in place until earlier this week -- previous rules, some consulates in the US didn't automatically issue multiple entry visas to first time applicants. But, they didn't exactly throttle availability either. Also, during the run up to the Beijing Olympics, there was a 5 month period in which good visas were hard to come by. After that dust settled, things returned to normal, and both sides continued to honor their reciprocal commitments.

What makes you think things will be any different now?
I do not think things will much different. Right now, it should be easiest to get one. later, difference consulate might have different policy. my thought basis is bureaucracy habit . if every body issue 10 year visa, they are feel nit important anymore. just like you said right now they require having visited china, hotel, flight etc.For 10 year visa, it might require holding one years visa before, bank statement, employment letter etc.
I hope I am wrong.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:24 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
I do not think things will much different. Right now, it should be easiest to get one. later, difference consulate might have different policy. my thought basis is bureaucracy habit . if every body issue 10 year visa, they are feel nit important anymore. just like you said right now they require having visited china, hotel, flight etc.For 10 year visa, it might require holding one years visa before, bank statement, employment letter etc.
I hope I am wrong.
Probably best to re-up within 60 days. Might as well take advantage of the PR.
I don't recall existing visas being yanked in the runup to the 08 Olympics, I do recall getting C award tickets as the planes were less than full.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Data point: Went to the chinese embassy in HK. Was told they didn't offer the ten year yet and to come back on Monday. Did I mention they are a cheery lot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.