Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Globalist
I am looking to go to Beijing and have a 1 entry visa secured.

Now something came up and had to change my flight via HK.
Using miles I have a flight in F from LHR to PVG, arriving at 7.55am. I would like to connect to dragon air in C at 8.40am to HK. (separate tickets).

1, is that possible or is the connection to short?
2, international to international do I pass immigration? I will go to Beijing a day later and would not want my one entry taken in PVG.

Thanks,
Globalist
Yes, you have to pass immigration and customs plus pick up and check-in your luggage.

There is no chance you would make it so catch a later HK bound flight.

I just arrived with CX at PVG this week and there were boards advertising American Airlines to Cathay connections where you do not have to leave airside. This as well as Star Alliance connections from/to Air New Zealand and Lufthansa/Swiss/Virgin flights from/to Europe.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
Yes, you have to pass immigration and customs plus pick up and check-in your luggage.

There is no chance you would make it so catch a later HK bound flight.

I just arrived with CX at PVG this week and there were boards advertising American Airlines to Cathay connections where you do not have to leave airside. This as well as Star Alliance connections from/to Air New Zealand and Lufthansa/Swiss/Virgin flights from/to Europe.
Thanks mosburger,

Transferring within Oneworld (BA to KA) would not have the same service?

Globalist
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:47 am

Thanks mosburger,

Transferring within Oneworld (BA to KA) would not have the same service?

Globalist
At PVG, only Lufthansa & partners had this privilege before, now it seems AA has done some serious lobbying. That's the rare exception, not the norm.

Give something, take something...My guess is both LH and AA have had to make some concessions in exchange for getting transit privileges.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am looking to go to Beijing and have a 1 entry visa secured.

Now something came up and had to change my flight via HK.
Using miles I have a flight in F from LHR to PVG, arriving at 7.55am. I would like to connect to dragon air in C at 8.40am to HK. (separate tickets).

1, is that possible or is the connection to short?
2, international to international do I pass immigration? I will go to Beijing a day later and would not want my one entry taken in PVG.

Thanks,
Globalist
I don't think you have any worries on the visa front, as long as you make it clear to border control person that you don't want any entry/exit stamps associated with that visa.

However, flying directly to HK should be a top priority for you. If you paid cash for that F ticket, the switch is very easy. If you used BA miles, start looking for seats ~7 days in. J is usually pretty easy to fetch, and F isn't especially hard either (in spite of the fact that CX only has 6 F seats).
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't think you have any worries on the visa front, as long as you make it clear to border control person that you don't want any entry/exit stamps associated with that visa.

However, flying directly to HK should be a top priority for you. If you paid cash for that F ticket, the switch is very easy. If you used BA miles, start looking for seats ~7 days in. J is usually pretty easy to fetch, and F isn't especially hard either (in spite of the fact that CX only has 6 F seats).
Thanks moondog,

I agree my priority is to find a seat direct from LHR to HKG, as I am using miles it is a challenge as nothing is available at this point and hope more will become available on BA or CX in the last 7 days.

If I have to go through immigration in PVG and cant make the 8.40 flight to HK i would not be on time anyway.

Globalist
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am about to book KIX-PVG-SYD because it is the only routing available on the day I want to go with flat bed seats PVG-SYD. It shows 2:10 between flights. I have to change from T1 to T2 (NH->AC).

I've been to PVG a number of times (although not recently) but never done this particular transfer. I gather I have to go through inbound immigration/customs, walk across the parking lot to the other terminal, and then go through outbound immigration/security. Seems a bit close time-wise but doable. Do the gurus here concur?

If the inbound is late, come visit me at the Park Hyatt!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am about to book KIX-PVG-SYD because it is the only routing available on the day I want to go with flat bed seats PVG-SYD. It shows 2:10 between flights. I have to change from T1 to T2 (NH->AC).

I've been to PVG a number of times (although not recently) but never done this particular transfer. I gather I have to go through inbound immigration/customs, walk across the parking lot to the other terminal, and then go through outbound immigration/security. Seems a bit close time-wise but doable. Do the gurus here concur?

If the inbound is late, come visit me at the Park Hyatt!
NH uses T2 for sure. By AC, I assume you meant CA given the routing. In any event, both AC and CA also use T2. If you meant MU, on the other hand, then you will have to walk across the parking lot.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant CA, I still get it wrong. And you're also right, I re-checked, they both use T2. Cutting out the walk should make it considerably more manageable and make me a lot less worried. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:45 pm

connecting time ?

I am about to book ord(aa)-pvg(ka)-hkg. My connecting time is 1hr 15min.
I have never been to pvg. Is tis enouch time?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is on MCT in China. I am moving this thread to the forum on China.

cxfan1960
CX Mod
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am about to book ord(aa)-pvg(ka)-hkg. My connecting time is 1hr 15min.
I have never been to pvg. Is tis enouch time?
As long as your connection is legal, you should be fine because KA has many flights between PVG and HKG. In year's past, Mondays and Fridays were tough, but I haven't had a single problem getting a seat on a KA flight during the past 1.5 years.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:02 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Connection time at PVG (AA to KA)

I have already bought a ticket for an AA flight that arrives at PVG at 3:05 pm, but I actually need to be in HKG. If I book the KA flight that departs 4:20 pm, I should be able to make it pretty easily, right?

I will mostly likely book it using Avios. If for whatever reason I can't make it, would KA put me on the next flight without fees? Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I'm presuming you're coming off AA 289, what I usually would is take CX 369 which usually departs around 5:30pm range.
For PVG connections, you would need to enter/exit China, pick and recheck bags, reclear security.
There isn't a full airside connection for AA>CX like other airports

If you're a foreigner, forget it, you are 99.9% not going to make it
Even if you have a Chinese passport, It still would be doubtbul you can do it within 1 hr.
When I do this connection, by the time I'm airside, I usually see the KA flight rolling towards the runway
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:14 am

I think to have seen airside advertisements of a "special" arrangement for AA/CX/KA connections when arriving at PVG in late August.

Before only Star Alliance carriers got "real" transit rights, probably due to the influence of Air China. But I'm pretty sure to remember a "real" transit from AA to CX/KA or vice versa was what they claimed to offer.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:53 pm
Suspended

75 minutes might be a bit tight for such a connection at PVG...

Which flight are you arriving from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.