Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
This was never a risk, but I agree that ICN is far nicer than PVG.
Security IME is faster at ICN.
(no priority security in either airport despite being *G/Emerald)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:25 pm

Another PVG International transit question?

Coming in from HKG on KA, connecting in PVG going to LAX on AA. Will 2:25 hours enough time for the whole transfer process with checked luggage? Will the immirgation process go quicker if we have a tourist visa already? We will be flying during the Chinese New Year Holiday if that matters.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by neuro0
Coming in from HKG on KA, connecting in PVG going to LAX on AA. Will 2:25 hours enough time for the whole transfer process with checked luggage? Will the immirgation process go quicker if we have a tourist visa already? We will be flying during the Chinese New Year Holiday if that matters.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
PVG transit procedures

Flying China Eastern from Melbourne to Paris in June through Shanghai. Does anyone know the latest procedure for transit at PVG? Twelve months ago transit was horrendous. I never really knew what was going on and i don't think the Chinese officials at PVG knew either. Anyone been through there lately who knows the transit procedures? Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by cheap pacific fares
Flying China Eastern from Melbourne to Paris in June through Shanghai. Does anyone know the latest procedure for transit at PVG? Twelve months ago transit was horrendous. I never really knew what was going on and i don't think the Chinese officials at PVG knew either. Anyone been through there lately who knows the transit procedures? Thanks.
With MU to MU, you should be able to pull everything off airside now, but don't bet on it because: 1) PVG transit procedures are constantly a moving target; and 2) I recently had an MU flight that was swapped for an FM plane, so we ended up arriving at T2. (#2 is highly doubtful in your case because I don't think FM has any planes that can make it to MEL.)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Your response is both encouraging and discouraging. From what you are saying, I will not really know what the procedure is until i get there.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by cheap pacific fares
Your response is both encouraging and discouraging. From what you are saying, I will not really know what the procedure is until i get there.
Don't worry:

1) there's a 99% chance that you will avail of T1 on all flights
2) early last year, my gf had to go out and back in, but her bag was throughchecked
3) recent reports suggest that airside transit is now the norm
4) going out and back in really isn't that big of a deal
*unlike PEK-T3, PVG-T1 doesn't have any gates that are extremely far from the checkin area
5) even in that 1% worst case scenario of a T2 arrival and a T1 departure, you're still only looking at around 1000 meters of walking (from gate to gate)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I transited through there 2x last month on all MU flights but chose to enter the PRC both times (long enough transit).

There was definitely a line at the transit counter the first time (late afternoon arrival) but not the 2nd (early morning). I can't say I noticed any means of getting from arrivals to departure level.

Bags were not checked through the first time because we arrived day 2 and the connecting flight was just after midnight on day 3. Bags checked through on the way home (same calendar day).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Need to get to Holiday Inn Pudong Nanpu. Getting in around 935pm, too late for maglev. Don't want to pay cab prices. Thinking best option is to get to Longyang and then cab from there.

Better to take bus line 3 or subway line 2?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Need to get to Holiday Inn Pudong Nanpu. Getting in around 935pm, too late for maglev. Don't want to pay cab prices. Thinking best option is to get to Longyang and then cab from there.

Better to take bus line 3 or subway line 2?
If you arrive early, and hustle, you might be able to make the last Maglev at 9:42p. Otherwise between the #3 bus in the subway, I would without question take the bus:

-more comfortable
-doesn't stop in a gazillion places
-no need to do the platform switch at Guanglan Lu
-under carriage luggage storage
-probably a bit faster to Longyang Road (nonstop) than the subway, though I have never taken #3 myself
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Made the 2nd to last Maglev, 1st off plane and 1st to immigration. ^

I previously thought it ended at like 845, glad I made the Maglev.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Btw, line 9 to line 8 at Lujiabang Road is not too challenging as a transfer. A rather practical way to get to the former Expo area from many locations in Pudong. Of course line 7 from Longyang Road is also an option.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:55 pm

Question Shanghai Pudong Airport

I live in Kyushu Japan so my international flights typically leave me with a layover in Taipei, Seoul, or Tokyo for connections to my destination. I typically manage to avoid the irritating layover in China that eats up multiple pages of my passport. And on the occasions that I have passed through Pudong, it has been a shorter day time layover that I cannot complain about. Don't think I am bashing Pudong, because my overall impression of the place is quite favorable.

Anyways, in a couple of weeks I will have a short overnight layover an am looking for somewhere to crash out in and shower before my connecting flight to Fukuoka. I land around 11pm and head out the next morning at 9am, so leaving the airport is not really a reasonable option. After searching around the net and other forums, I came up with info about an hourly motel inside the terminals. Problem is, all the info I am finding is a couple of years old.

So, is this hourly motel inside the airport still operating? Where will I find it? What are the rates? Should I make a reservation or am I fine to just show up? If I did make a reservation is there a link or an international number to call?

Cheers and all chaps for any aid and direction!

Last edited by ThereAndBackAgain; Apr 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I googled something like transit hotel at PVG and found information in English that included a phone number and seemed to suggest that reservations are possible but not strictly necessary and do not require a credit card. YMMV. It seems to be land side, so you would presumably still enter and be stamped into China as transit without visa for 24 hours. Given this, you might want to also consider some nearby airport hotels that are off the airport property and IIRC offer shuttle service.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:40 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by ThereAndBackAgain
So, is this hourly motel inside the airport still operating? Where will I find it? What are the rates? Should I make a reservation or am I fine to just show up? If I did make a reservation is there a link or an international number to call?
!
Two hotels in between T1 and T2. EZ to find.
Motel 168 and
Ease Hotel http://www.travelpod.com/motel/Ease_...-Shanghai.html

Try ctrip.
Reservation, why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.