Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by narvik
Yes, that's what the TWOV is for. Book flights with a few days in Shanghai to explore the city. Calculated from Midnight after arrival until departing flight time.

Main thread is here:

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Thanks. That's great.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hi all. Have an evening departure out of Shanghai so will probably head to the airport a little early after checkout. I have star alliance gold status and also priority pass with Amex plat. I know the Chinese lounges are generally not the best but which would be the better lounge to go for? Am flying out of Pu Dong T2. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Hi all. Have an evening departure out of Shanghai so will probably head to the airport a little early after checkout.
I'm sure your hotel would look after your bags between checkout and when it's sensible to head out to PVG. For many international departures (e.g those that utilize a plane coming in from somewhere else) it's also possible to further optimize by checking on updated status before leaving the city.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Just want to plan my 2-hour connection at PVG, and to know what to expect.

MU to MU, on one ticket, SHE (Shenyang) - PVG - ICN. I would have to go through passport exit control, for sure, but what about security? How long from landing at PVG to the lounge (I am in J, and have Priority Pass). Is there priority security for Business passengers?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:30 pm

While I'm not familiar the precise current flow layout there, I'm guessing you'll have to pass through security, but that shouldn't be too taxing.

Why aren't you flying nonstop from Shenyang btw? It appears to be only about $50 more than those one-stop and connecting options.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:30 pm

It's Flyertalk here, for sure it's for the miles (Personally, if I wouldn't be in a rush, I'd also book the connecting flight)
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
It's Flyertalk here, for sure it's for the miles (Personally, if I wouldn't be in a rush, I'd also book the connecting flight)
Normally, I'd question posters about whether they've previously had the pleasure of a PVG connection, but in your csse, I already know the answer...and you lived to tell.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:43 pm

There is imho quite a different between a MU-MU connection in J in PVG and a "LCC" connection.. (Which, in the end, wasn't THAT bad after all.. )

But yes, I'd prefer connecting in other airports too, as your experience (say, in SIN) is usually much more consistent. Chinese carriers (and airports) can still be very much a hit or miss.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:55 am

If one has more than 8 hours of transit in PVG Trip.com now offers three different free Tours:

https://www.trip.com/hot/shanghaiexpress-halfdaylayovertour/

As long as you are a foreigner once you book a flight to PVG, even a domestic one, they automatically send out an E-Mail with the above mentioned ad.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
If one has more than 8 hours of transit in PVG Trip.com now offers three different free Tours:

https://www.trip.com/hot/shanghaiexpress-halfdaylayovertour/

As long as you are a foreigner once you book a flight to PVG, even a domestic one, they automatically send out an E-Mail with the above mentioned ad.
Thanks for sharing this. These seem pretty cool on the surface. And, at the very least, you're getting a free ride into town and maybe a venue ticket.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: EB
Flying into PVG with separate tickets this summer (VIE-PVG-TPE) with Austrian and then Air China. 2nd flight is almost 6h after arrival time. Does anyone know if they will be able to check-in luggage all the way or will I have to claim + re-check? Not worried about visa since that is already settled, just want to make sure about practical stuff.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2024, 1:32 pm

With separate tickets you will most likely have to clear customs/immigration, re-check in your luggage and go through customs/immgration again.

OTOH in PVG that might actually be a good thing to do, because being in Transit in PVG for six hours is boring as hell.
doublev likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:12 pm

Not worth the chance

I had an option for an intl to intl PVG connection ... of 1 hour 35 minutes. On the advice of this thread, I 86'd it, opting instead for a PVG-area hotel tonight.

I wonder if there's any nighttime street stall action in this part of town (e.g. the residential areas directly near CGO and PEK have plenty of food).

​​​
Old May 24, 2024, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency_
I had an option for an intl to intl PVG connection ... of 1 hour 35 minutes. On the advice of this thread, I 86'd it, opting instead for a PVG-area hotel tonight.

I wonder if there's any nighttime street stall action in this part of town (e.g. the residential areas directly near CGO and PEK have plenty of food).

​​​
Nope, the area around the airport is pretty "dead".

Last time I had a 4hr layover (and was able to get landside) I was able to get some local food around 2km away from the airport. I enjoyed the cold morning stroll, but nothing looked to me like they'd have a lot of evening places open.. mostly catering to local workers in the airport-serving industries around the area.

Best bet would probably be to hit the metro for some stops away (if you don't want to get into the city proper), I guess around the Metro stop Chuansha which serves the
Pudong Bus Chuansha Passenger Transport Terminal (No.998-1000, Miaojing Road, Shanghai) is your closest bet for that, but others might know better.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Nope, the area around the airport is pretty "dead".

Last time I had a 4hr layover (and was able to get landside) I was able to get some local food around 2km away from the airport. I enjoyed the cold morning stroll, but nothing looked to me like they'd have a lot of evening places open.. mostly catering to local workers in the airport-serving industries around the area.

Best bet would probably be to hit the metro for some stops away (if you don't want to get into the city proper), I guess around the Metro stop Chuansha which serves the
Pudong Bus Chuansha Passenger Transport Terminal (No.998-1000, Miaojing Road, Shanghai) is your closest bet for that, but others might know better.
Appreciate your reply, YuropFlyer . Chuansha sounds like a fair choice. Trying to avoid heading downtown due to an early flight tomorrow.

Happen to recall the area where you walked?

OTOH, airport workers certainly live close to CGO and PEK -- where there are a bunch of regional food options -- so there's gotta be something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.