Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the pollution thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bridgeair
The following blog written by a doctor who lives in Beijing talks about pollution and health:
http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/categ...ess/pollution/

I think there are some things you can do to minimise the health impacts:
1. Stay indoors where possible and buy an air cleaning machine with a HEPA filter.
2. When outdoors wear a mask that can filter out fine particles (see http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/2010/...hich-are-best/)

The site above has an article suggesting that even on the worst days, breathing in the air is equivalent to smoking less than one cigarette, which just shows how horribly bad for the health smoking is: http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/2011/...disappointing/
I have a big problem with his data--he's assuming you get all the PM2.5's in the cigarette. I have never seen a smoker actually do anything like this.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Satellite pictures of airpocalypse:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...-airpocalypse/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:29 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I have a big problem with his data--he's assuming you get all the PM2.5's in the cigarette. I have never seen a smoker actually do anything like this.
Case Study

Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The cigarette filter might make inhalation cleaner than without the cigarette.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
The cigarette filter might make inhalation cleaner than without the cigarette.
I hadn't even thought of that. I was thinking of the simple fact that not all the burn time of a cigarette is spent inhaling.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
pollution in beijing equivalent to living inside the smoking lounge at the airport...

ew.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...f-the-day.html
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 am

Do kids wear these cartoon figure masks to not spread a cold or
because of the pollution?

Seems the caption is questionable.

The LA TIMES caption:A little girl wears a mask with a cartoon theme in Tiananmen Square during severe pollution in Beijing on January 29.1
PHOTOGRAPH BY: Feng Li / Getty Images

Care for a stroll in the park?

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Do kids wear these cartoon figure masks to not spread a cold or
because of the pollution?

Seems the caption is questionable.
In this case for pollution of the stroll in the park photo, caption is correct. For the little girls' photo, probably for illness but could be for pollution, not enough context to tell. However, while I sometimes see Chinese adults with colds wear masks to keep from spreading germs (a la Japanese custom), I uncommonly see them put masks on sick kids.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
In this case for pollution of the stroll in the park photo, caption is correct. For the little girls' photo, probably for illness but could be for pollution, not enough context to tell. However, while I sometimes see Chinese adults with colds wear masks to keep from spreading germs (a la Japanese custom), I uncommonly see them put masks on sick kids.
I believe the little girl isn't wearing the mask for pollution.
Appears as though she is in somekind of event.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
(not so) fun fact - said masks are only logically beneficial if you have a cold, because their pores are too large to keep out PM2.5. you can wear one all day and still get yourself some good old fashioned lung cancer.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:26 am

the pollution thread

What kind of mask would be best for my 6 month pregnant wife who's getting paranoid about our trip to Beijing in two weeks due to all of the recent news?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hensleyrob
What kind of mask would be best for my 6 month pregnant wife who's getting paranoid about our trip to Beijing in two weeks due to all of the recent news?
CNY has around 3 heavy fireworks days, and a quick google search should reveal the exact dates. If you happen to be in Beijing during these days, I encourage you to stay indoors at a hotel with an awesome HVAC system (Marriott NE is the best I know of). For the rest of CNY, the air really isn't all that bad (because there are less people/cars in town). The mask thing really won't help your wife much (apart from a placebo effect). You might also want to consider a side trip to one of China's cleaner cities (e.g. Dalian, Qingdao, Xiamen).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:36 pm

the pollution thread

Thanks for the advice. We'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt Beijing and unfortunately won't be able to get out of Beijing this trip to see other areas. Do you happen to know the three heavy firework days? I did a quick search but apparently I'm not searching for the right thing. All I'm seeing is one day, Feb. 10th. Thanks again.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt Beijing and unfortunately won't be able to get out of Beijing this trip to see other areas. Do you happen to know the three heavy firework days? I did a quick search but apparently I'm not searching for the right thing. All I'm seeing is one day, Feb. 10th. Thanks again.
Well, the first day (new year's eve) is the worst by far. And, if you do a wiki search for CNY (spring festival), it will surely explain the drill. Basically, if you know when it starts (Feb 9, iirc), you can figure out when the big days are (day 3 comes to mind as one of them, but I could be mistaken).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
The area around the GH is well controlled and in many areas in the CBD you are not allowed to do fireworks during CNY. I saw on another forum that the GH has started the renovation process of their rooms already (floor 9 and above). I don't think there will be anyone working during CNY, but it is hard to say as not everyone can go back to their hometowns to celebrate. Better ask before you arrive or at check-in!

With regards to the masks for your wife - the P100 / N95 does help a bit, see the site from the US Embassy http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn
/20130201-pm25-steps.html

It is always better than not having one on a bad polluted day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.