Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Security Feints": sad article

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Sigh. You have tried before to dismiss these incidents as 'legends'. No matter, I'm happy to help your memory.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/milk.htm

I don't remember the girl-and-crab thing, so I suspect it is a morphing of this:
http://archives.californiaaviation.o.../msg21490.html

You're welcome.
Thanks, but I truly don't care where these urban legends come from or if they are proven incidents. My point is that requiring people to drink out of containers is not an effective security measure.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:18 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I didn't express myself clearly enough. My point wasn't that they might be seeing whether they could smuggle liquids aboard, but that having possibly done so why on earth would they then advertise the fact to everyone on board ? Which is what precipitated a couple of the 'incidents'. Seems a strange sort of probe.
I think that you are referring to the people in the states who have brought their own water on board and then drank it in front of everyone as to say "Look, I got this past TSA. What a bunch of a**-clowns". I'm not implying that an actual terrorist dry run would be doing this. Of course, they would want to be as low key as possible.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by etch5895
I think that you are referring to the people in the states who have brought their own water on board and then drank it in front of everyone as to say "Look, I got this past TSA. What a bunch of a**-clowns". I'm not implying that an actual terrorist dry run would be doing this. Of course, they would want to be as low key as possible.
I don't think that the people who have caused diversions have intentionally tried to get it past the TSA and then broadcast that fact; they may have been intentionally trying to circumvent the rules (I suspect that to largely be the case), but then they drink from them in flight.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Thanks, but I truly don't care where these urban legends come from or if they are proven incidents. My point is that requiring people to drink out of containers is not an effective security measure.
Can you expand on this second point, Bart? What liquid explosives are drinkable? What components of binary liquid explosives can be drunk when they are in the concentrations required to effectivley mix up a bomb onboard the aircraft?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:45 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by justageek
Can you expand on this second point, Bart? What liquid explosives are drinkable? What components of binary liquid explosives can be drunk when they are in the concentrations required to effectivley mix up a bomb onboard the aircraft?

I suspect it's more along the lines of the fact that containers could have false bottoms, and that there are legit liquid containers (such as medications, shampoo, etc.) that one could not drink from.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by justageek
That presupposes the governments' allegations about effectively mixing binary liquids onboard are true. Some of us have umm... doubts.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I suspect it's more along the lines of the fact that containers could have false bottoms, and that there are legit liquid containers (such as medications, shampoo, etc.) that one could not drink from.
But Bart said the X-ray machines can detect false bottoms. Between that and drinking it, I don't see the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.