Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Security Feints": sad article

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
From another thread, discussing the TS/S Forum:
The "ignore" feature works well for this.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Laura Mansfield, a counterterrorism consultant and Arabic translator, says many of the incidents involve terrorist sympathizers hoping to divert attention from actual terrorists moving forward with real plots.
"There is a combination of things going on. They are trying to get the threat level reduced by creating a bunch of false alarms so people will be complacent. It's also a strategy of red herrings and disinformation," she said.
I bet that back in the day she thought there was a Commie under every rock.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
to the Washington Times for this piece of drivel.

The way they slant the article--from the headline "Airline-security incidents seen as terrorist feints" completely misrepresenting the lead-in paragraph (which says the incidents have "more to do with flukes, red herrings or terrorist probes than with actual, imminent threats, intelligence observers and security officials say," NOT that all the incidents are seen as feints as the headline suggests) to the selections of quotes and people interviewed--is hardly journalism.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by essxjay
I dunno S-guy. Why about this part:

Kicker quotes like these are ^ in my book.
I believe I said there were a few good quotes at the end of the article. Those were the ones I referred to.

Unfortunately, I wonder how many people actually read the whole article. I'm willing to be a lot of people didn't make it that far.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by gnaget
Read it and weep! The hardcopy had a list of all "incidents", which clearly demonstrated that the premise of this article is idiotic. This "security consultant" should be tarred and feathered.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2238-5164r.htm
We have trashed this Hagmann and his 'organization' before in a couple of threads (which I can't be bothered to look up).

Suffice it to say that the genuine experts in security keep a very low profile. They do not seek publicity and go to great lengths to keep their identities out of the media. These clowns are self-promoting charlattans; the only thing being "probed" is the gullibilty of the press and, by extension, the general public.

The bomb hoaxes are simple cause-and-effect. The media gleefully reports one, some neanderthal copycat emerges, the media reports that and so on...
Did the threats suddenly stop, or did the media finally realise they were being had and belatedly apply some editorial nous ?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I think it's pretty obvious that security scares have cost the airline industry a lot of money.

British Airways alone has calculated the cost of last months parlava was about $80 million (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5316920.stm).

It seems that the airlines, already targets of terrorism are also targets of politicians who use terrorism fears for their own ends.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by andrzej
The "people" in this instance seem to be Randy Peterson - owner and operator of this website, so take it for what it's worth, but he has the power to shut down this forum if he chooses. Also, I and many others agree with him.
Considering that some of the most frequent posters on this forum are TSA Officers and Supervisors, and Federal Air Marshals, I'm not sure what more we could do to make it more balanced. Some of them actually agree with some of the points made by "anti-TSA" people on this board. So, I guess it could be that the only way to keep the truth about the TSA from getting out would be to shut down the forum completely.

Personally, I enjoy the exchange of ideas and information on this forum, including posts from people with whom I disagree.

Last edited by justageek; Sep 5, 2006 at 1:26 pm
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by justageek
Some of them actually agree with some of the points made by "anti-TSA" people on this board.
justageek, nobody is arguing that anti-TSA positions should not be presented here. I am certain that was never Randy's contention either.

What Randy said -- and I agree with him on this -- is that the repeated denunciations by the same posters, often with no new information being presented, is not only not effective but also counter-productive. The people you want to reach simply turn off.

What Randy did not say -- but I am -- is that overstating a position also undermines your case.

If someone wants to say that the TSA is not effective, and provide substantiation, that is one thing. (Indeed, I have often taken that position myself.)

If he wants to call them "Communists" and "perverts", then he has gone overboard and, IMHO, not worth serious attention.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:17 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Superguy
I believe I said there were a few good quotes at the end of the article. Those were the ones I referred to.
Ah! So you did ...

Unfortunately, I wonder how many people actually read the whole article. I'm willing to be a lot of people didn't make it that far.
Too true.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by justageek
Considering that some of the most frequent posters on this forum are TSA Officers and Supervisors, and Federal Air Marshals, I'm not sure what more we could do to make it more balanced. Some of them actually agree with some of the points made by "anti-TSA" people on this board. So, I guess it could be that the only way to keep the truth about the TSA from getting out would be to shut down the forum completely.

Personally, I enjoy the exchange of ideas and information on this forum, including posts from people with whom I disagree.
It's amazing the you only quoted a very little part of my post.

For some reason you chose not to quote the following:

1. I also don't like what's going on...

2. I'm more than willing to debate, whether I agree or disagree with somebody as long as they present a valid point. Name calling is not a valid debate, it gets old very quickly and turns people off.

That's all some of us are saying. Just like you I don't want any forum shut down, but I could see why Randy is posting a warning. I have learned so much from all the different forums over the last few years, including this one, but recently I hardly visit this one anymore because it basically became TSA bashing only, with viscious name calling and no real new debatable information.....YMMV
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have learned a lot from this forum and continue to do so .... especially from those posts criticizing the TSA and from those working for it and those tolerating it. But that's not a discussion for this thread as much as the article which is peddling hysteria until it gets to the end of the article and some common sense is said in passing.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by essxjay
Too true.
I almost didn't make it thru that drivel to see those quotes. I might lean a little right, but geez, that was way over the top.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
I want to go on record as saying the TSA seems to be improving. ORD was good yesterday as it is most always.

LAX a poster child if ever there was one was fine also yesterday. Well OK. Five of them spent 6 minutes looking at the xray screen instead of just grabbing the darn bag and checking it. They really held up the line.

But I haven't seen anybody screaming at passengers in months.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:12 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:10 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bart
To underestimate the resourcefulness of international terrorists or downplay their intentions just because it causes inconveniences at the security checkpoint seems just as dumb, to me, as it is to overreact to every incident as a possible terrorist probe.
I don't see any necessary connection between:

A. "underestimating" the resourcefulness of "international" terrorists (or downplaying "their" intentions)

and

B. overreacting to every incident as a possible terrorist probe.

That is, just because there is A does not mean there is always B (or vice versa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.