Trusted passengers

Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
You got me there.

And exactly what is the TSA doing about the next McVeigh or Unabomber besides scrutinizing their nail clippers and taking away their pointy scissors and small pocketknives?

Just last week I once again had to put up with an idiot screener (MIA - E) who wanted to confiscate my nail clippers because they contain a nail file - that's the fifth time since the TSA took over at the very same checkpoint that I have argued the same point.

She rummaged thru my carryon for about five minutes before settling on the nail clippers. She said I could go quicker if I just "relinquished" my nail clippers.

To hell with her. What a stupid moron. &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif"&gt;

I called for a supervisor and demanded that the screeners get some remedial training in what's permitted and what's prohibited. At least the supervisor apologized for the idiocy. And just like every other time, I got to keep the nail clippers.

And I have no doubt that I will have to appeal their confiscation next time thru the same checkpoint. &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif"&gt;

That, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with your agency.

No amount of Sirs, Ma'ams, Pleases and Thank Yous is going to change that. Politeness isn't what I seek - I want professionals who are as well acquainted with the rules as I am. Is that asking too much??
</font>
WHAAAAAAA. They wanted my nail clippers.
Dude, we want scissors, nothing but scissors.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
More of Daschle's professionalism.

BTW, it is against the TOS of FlyerTalk to post under more than one name.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
More of Daschle's professionalism.

BTW, it is against the TOS of FlyerTalk to post under more than one name.
</font>
OOPS, my bad.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Sounds to me that FWAAA is just pig headed. What on earth do you need nail clippers for on a flight. Are you telling me your nails grow so fast that they need cutting every two hours ??? Dont you realise that you are simply being an A**e when you act like this.

I made a mistake a few weeks ago and in my hand luggage, something had fallen behind the liner. This was actually a leatherman knife The staff took their time, systematically emptied the bag and found it. They very kindly advised me on how to go back through security and check in the offending item, which the NW desk clerk packed in a box and labelled up for me.

Second time through they were just as efficent and very polite.

These people are not here for the fun of it or to make nutters like you a source of entertainment.

If you dont like the rules, which will only get tougher, then I suggest you go by train. I am sure yu could find plenty to complain about there.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
OOPS, my bad.</font>
IP logged

Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:46 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Why do you need anything on a flight?

Can't you go 2 hours without reading? Without using your computer? Without taking your medication?

The reason people are upset about the ban on knives, nail clippers, pool cues, hockey sticks etc. is not because we desperately need these items on the plane. We are incensed because the ban of these objects contributes nothing to safety and wastes everyone's time and money as we are harassed by screeners suring the Great Pointy Object Search while taking away focus on real, credible threats to aircraft.

Two US airlines are in bankruptcy and a third or fourth is quite possible. These airlines are in this mess because of their own mismanagement, but the horse@#$% "security" provided by the TSA at travelers' and taxpayers' expense is doing nothing to help them out of this mess and is keeping lots of business travelers away.

So, NO, we will not get used to it and NO, we will not take the train. We will continue to lobby our elected representatives to stop this idiocy and will continue to show contempt to those who are pawns of Normie the Clown in exchange for a paycheck each time they randomly harass us.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Fenton:
Sounds to me that FWAAA is just pig headed. What on earth do you need nail clippers for on a flight. Are you telling me your nails grow so fast that they need cutting every two hours ??? Dont you realise that you are simply being an A**e when you act like this.

I made a mistake a few weeks ago and in my hand luggage, something had fallen behind the liner. This was actually a leatherman knife The staff took their time, systematically emptied the bag and found it. They very kindly advised me on how to go back through security and check in the offending item, which the NW desk clerk packed in a box and labelled up for me.

These people are not here for the fun of it or to make nutters like you a source of entertainment.

If you dont like the rules, which will only get tougher, then I suggest you go by train. I am sure yu could find plenty to complain about there.
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Fenton:

</font>
"pig headed"??

The TSA published guidance on this issue has for several months now specifically allowed nail clippers in carryon bags. Since I had no checked luggage, I was not going to "relinquish" my nail clippers to satisfy this moron who didn't want to play by the rules.

Each time I was a connecting pax from the UK or SA, where my nail clippers passed unquestioned. Ditto for LAX, where I originated.

If objecting to government sponsored theft of my carryon items makes me an ..., then I'm an ....

I couldn't care less how much they smile and say "please" and "thank you" if they aren't going to consistently follow THEIR OWN PUBLISHED RULES.

If that makes me an ..., then so be it.

[This message has been edited by FWAAA (edited 02-04-2003).]
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
OOPS, my bad.</font>
But since our alleged TSA posters can't even read and follow the rules of FlyerTalk with any consistency, how can we expect them to follow the TSA's own rules concerning permitted and prohibited items??
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Sounds to me that FWAAA is just pig headed. What on earth do you need nail clippers for on a flight. Are you telling me your nails grow so fast that they need cutting every two hours ??? Dont you realise that you are simply being an A**e when you act like this. </font>
Why shouldn't we be able to bring nail clippers on a flight when they have been on the approved list for months now? It isn't that you necessarily need them on the flight but perhaps you may need them during your trip. So you go to the airport assuming you are following all the rules and find some idiot screener who wants to flex their muscles and take them away. IT's BS.

------------------
"Those who would trade some of their liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:21 am

Programs: Vanishing

[...snip...]

</font>
Try to see the bigger picture. Just because I need something when I get there, doesn't mean I need it on the flight. If you are on a multi-city trip for a week, or two, a nailclipper becomes a necessity. I don't feel that I should have to go out in every city I stop and try to buy a new clipper and then throw it away. It is not pigheaded on my part, but maybe it was on TSA's part. The rules have changed now, so the point is moot.

And, please tell me where I board the train from Los Angeles to London. I would love to take it.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:50 pm

Just a thought, but did anyone mention that some nail clippers have knife blades, which btw are prohibited ??
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a thought, but did anyone mention that some nail clippers have knife blades, which btw are prohibited ??</font>
Are you going to keep posting with the second handle?

My nail clippers had no knife blade, the moron screener knew it, yet still wanted me to "relinquish" them. I don't know her motivation for demanding I throw away a "permitted item," and in talking to the supervisor I demanded that she (and anyone else working at MIA who is unclear of the rules) receive remedial training on the "prohibited item" and "permitted item" lists.

I kept the clippers (just like the four previous times thru the very same checkpoint since the TSA took over).
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:22 pm

So sorry, but this is my "new" handle. You like ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.