Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General


Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 20, 6:17 am
  #346  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 37
Hubby used Capital One and has yet to be refunded. He's contacting them now for a refund.
sekhmet101 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:49 am
  #347  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by nyc_eagles View Post
Source? or did you just make that up / pure conjecture.

I wouldnt think the government is that coordinated, and theyll be more than happy to take $100 again when applications open back up.
I'm not sure if the credit card companies do this directly to businesses, but I run a small non-profit and when a member initiates a chargeback with their credit card company, PayPal (I think, could be the credit card company) charges our non-profit $35 for each chargeback. If the credit card companies do this too, this would be an easy way for the DHS to track which people initiated a chargeback for their Global Entry application fees and use it against them.
ChurchillW is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 9:28 am
  #348  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,390
Originally Posted by nyc_eagles View Post
Source? or did you just make that up / pure conjecture.

I wouldn’t think the government is that coordinated, and they’ll be more than happy to take $100 again when applications open back up.
Global Entry revocation as retribution for asking CBP for your money back is not unheard of:

Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Times
A Tampa trucking company employee’s trip to Cleveland to buy several tractor-trailers in September has turned into a legal fight after federal agents at Tampa International Airport seized $181,500 in cash that the man was carrying.Nearly five months later, Tampa-based FGL Transport, Inc. and its owners, Scott Smith and Michael Rozenberg, have filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and officials with each agency because the government won’t return the money.

. . .

Weeks after the lawsuit was filed, Rozenberg said he and Nulman received letters, saying the Customs and Border Protection revoked their participation in the Global Entry Program.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/transp...hing-is-fishy/
Ari is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:11 am
  #349  
J S
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Despite you bringing this up on a near-daily basis, it remains unclear how this point is relevant here. DHS is obviously going to care more about driver licenses that can be used to enter the U.S. (e.g., New York EDL) than foreign driver licenses that cannot be used to enter the U.S. There also aren't masses of people trying to enter the U.S. by car from Canada with Slovakian plates, unlike the situation with New Yorkers and New York plates.
I have a NY DL that does not allow me to enter the US (or any other country). My child doesn't have a DL at all. We are talking about GE, not EDL. EDL would be a separate topic. I can see why CBP would need access to EDL data to verify that the DL I am presenting for access to the US is legit. But I still cannot figure out a legitimate reason why my small child, who obviously has not driving record, cannot renew his GE.
J S is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 3:37 pm
  #350  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Beyond furious here....I've been trying for GE since this past summer. Applied in August with the aim of getting it for my honeymoon in December. Took 5 months to get conditional approval - received the email the day before returning to the US while on the honeymoon. When my wife and I tried to make use of the Enrollment on Arrival at JFK, we were told that there "wasn't enough staff for that" (this was on Christmas Eve).

I just went to schedule our interviews on the TTP website - all of the sudden, the two NYC based enrollment centers have more than enough availability for interviews! What a pleasant surprise from several months ago, when there was a 2+ month waiting period...I should've known it was too good to be true. Got all the way to the 'time slot' selection, but was completely baffled why I was unable to click any of the times. After 10 min of trial and error, I finally discovered that my application had been deleted from the TTP website...

No refund in sight so far. Do you guys think initiating a chargeback is the move here, or should we wait it out a week or so to see if this decision gets reversed?
deadeye823 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 4:30 pm
  #351  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 5,335
Originally Posted by deadeye823 View Post
No refund in sight so far. Do you guys think initiating a chargeback is the move here, or should we wait it out a week or so to see if this decision gets reversed?
Personally, I would figure out when is the last day your bank will allow you to initiate a chargeback, and not do it until that day or the day before. If NY gets an injunction, all of these applications may be reinstated, but if you did a chargeback, your application might get pulled.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:04 am
  #352  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Paris & Scotland (Laird), "Suite on the World"
Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by joelfreak View Post
This is...war on American citizens. By our own government. The fact that people can get drivers licences does NOT reflect on the back ground check the government did on me for TTI.
Joel: I would think one would want the security checks. It is not the driver's license - it is that NY will not share the info (ie previous arrests, etc) You should be happy as it makes it safer to fly. If you are a normal NY resident - it is you who voted
knownothing is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:30 am
  #353  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,117
Access to NY-residing GE applicants’ arrest history is not why the federal government is doing this application block. The federal government still has access to NY arrest history for applicants.

Flying is safe with or without this NY-resident application ban. DHS having unrestricted access to the NY DMV records via NLETs or anything else isn’t a necessary occurrence for DHS to screen flying travelers and baggage for prohibited weapons, explosives and incendiaries ..... and yet the federal government is using potential (and previous) NY-residing applicants as pawns and fodders just because the federal government dislikes a NY State law and wants to grab attention that sends a signal to various domestic audiences over the federal government’s opposition to the state law and those who may be favorable or indifferent toward such kind of approaches by state and local authorities.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:29 am
  #354  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 110
Global Entry is not about prohibited weapons, explosives, and incendiaries. It's about expedited entry upon returning from abroad. It's about deciding if you are who you say you are, and you have the right (or privilege, if foreign) to waltz right in without much hassle.

It's easy to forget the reason for this - but for years ago when you flew in from a foreign nation - you waited in a lonnnnnnnnnng line, only to be asked: Where were you? Why? Business? What's in the bag? And so on - all the while, your PassPort was being examined - and your own ID was being checked against your passport - not because they care about that 3rd bottle of wine in your bag (though some do), but because - if you don't live here - and you forged these documents - they gotta figure it out somehow.

So - along comes GE. With the advent of cool technology and extremely fast networks - they can "see" that you're you -because of fingerprints and eyeballs. Now you can skip the lame questioning, NOT because you aren't possibly sneaking something in - you might be - but because PRIMARILY they are 100% sure you belong here. Everything else is secondary.

How did they get this sure? Because you provided them with a ton of information about yourself and open access to every and any piece of recorded info about your entire life, and you also filled out a lengthy application, and now they can compare the application to this pile of info in front of them. If not all twos plus twos equal fours - - then you might not be you. Doesn't mean you're out. It means more scrutiny.

But by the time you get GE - you deserve it. Now the secondary aspect. Because it's (relatively) easy to "sneak" an extra bottle of wine - or bag of cash - in this way, they could alleviate a lot of that pre-emptively by determining if you are, on the whole, an upstanding citizen. No, past results are not a predictor of future behavior. But ... statistically .. it IS. So if you're a crook now, you'll probably be a crook in the future. Playing the odds.

This means that the CBP has great latitude in declining your application, even if you haven't been convicted of anything. For instance, a friend of mine was declined because he once got popped at the border with a bootleg item (like a fake coach purse). He thought nothing of it, not when he bought it, for sure, and not when they took it...but years later...there it was. Declined. It's that subtle.

Now New York comes along. "Hey, CBP," says NY, "We'd like to be verified as generally upstanding citizens and also residents who belong here, but since some of us do NOT in fact belong here, we'll be hiding some of the info from your prying eyes. But we'd like the program to continue as usual. Thanks."

You can see how positively bonkers and contradictory those two angles are. They can't co-exist. You can make all the excuses for NY and "gov't overreach" accusations (i'm not saying you're wrong) - but the two philosophies and outcomes are - at their very core - completely at odds with one another. It doesn't matter that you don't drive. It matters because ALL THE INFORMATION MATTERS ALL THE TIME. You (NY) do not get to pick what's important to them. CBP picked it. NY opted out. Now NY seems stunned that CBP won’t cave on this issue.

Maybe they will. I kinda doubt it.

One more thing - regarding the DMV and an application for a 12 year old: It says right on the application - if you're applying for your minor child (<18 years of age) then the responsible adult must provide information (about their self, not their child).
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 17, 20 at 1:23 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the edit function to add content.
shipcamein is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 12:58 pm
  #355  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Paris & Scotland (Laird), "Suite on the World"
Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Access to NY-residing GE applicants arrest history is not why the federal government is doing this application block. The federal government still has access to NY arrest history for applicants.

Flying is safe with or without this NY-resident application ban. DHS having unrestricted access to the NY DMV records via NLETs or anything else isnt a necessary occurrence for DHS to screen flying travelers and baggage for prohibited weapons, explosives and incendiaries ..... and yet the federal government is using potential (and previous) NY-residing applicants as pawns and fodders just because the federal government dislikes a NY State law and wants to grab attention that sends a signal to various domestic audiences over the federal governments opposition to the state law and those who may be favorable or indifferent toward such kind of approaches by state and local authorities.
Once again false facts by the above quote: New York is banned because they are not allowing DPS their DMV records. As others (cf shipcamein) have stated, the global entry is not about weapons, etc. It is about whether you are 1) an allowed entrant to the US (ie not an illegal immigrant) and 2) safe (no criminal history). Most illegal immigrants do not have an arrest record - but they can have a NY driver's license. Say thanks to the DPS!
knownothing is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:34 pm
  #356  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 17,369
Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
As others (cf shipcamein) have stated, the global entry is not about weapons, etc. It is about whether you are 1) an allowed entrant to the US (ie not an illegal immigrant) and 2) safe (no criminal history).
Global Entry is also about being trusted to make a to make a truthful customs declaration and not bringing prohibited items into the US. That's why @shipcamein's friend's GE application was denied because she or he had a history of having been caught bringing a (probably undeclared) prohibited item into the US.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:19 pm
  #357  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,117
Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
Once again false facts by the above quote: New York is banned because they are not allowing DPS their DMV records. As others (cf shipcamein) have stated, the global entry is not about weapons, etc. It is about whether you are 1) an allowed entrant to the US (ie not an illegal immigrant) and 2) safe (no criminal history). Most illegal immigrants do not have an arrest record - but they can have a NY driver's license. Say thanks to the DPS!
Illegal immigrants resident in NY applying for GE? That is not why the federal government is using past and potential GE applicants resident in NY as pawns and cannon fodder to go after a NY law and get attention for doing so.

Originally Posted by knownothing
You should be happy as it makes it safer to fly.
GE does not make flying safer. GE is about immigration and customs, regardless of whether or not a person is flying. GE does include PreCheck benefits but that too does not make flying safer.

Interestingly enough, NYS argued that the DHS suspension of GE (and some other TTPs) for new applicants residing in NY makes things more dangerous.

What makes flying safer is effectively stopping prohibited weapons, explosives, incendiaries from getting on planes. Flying is safe enough, with or without GE for NY residents.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 17, 20 at 4:38 pm
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:12 pm
  #358  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Paris & Scotland (Laird), "Suite on the World"
Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Illegal immigrants resident in NY applying for GE? That is not why the federal government is using past and potential GE applicants resident in NY as pawns and cannon fodder to go after a NY law and get attention for doing so.

<deleted by moderator>

GE does not make flying safer. GE is about immigration and customs, regardless of whether or not a person is flying. GE does include PreCheck benefits but that too does not make flying safer.

Interestingly enough, NYS argued that the DHS suspension of GE (and some other TTPs) for new applicants residing in NY makes things more dangerous.

What makes flying safer is effectively stopping prohibited weapons, explosives, incendiaries from getting on planes. Flying is safe enough, with or without GE for NY residents.
Again, please don't change the subject. Global Entry is a program of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection service that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to receive expedited clearance upon arrival into the United States. It has nothing to do with flying. It is to prevent another Fort Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center by keeping terrorists out of the US. It is managed by the US Customs and Border Protection

Pre-Check is another entity only associated with Global Entry that the clearance covers both. It is managed by Homeland Security

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 17, 20 at 6:32 pm Reason: FT Rule 15: Posts that misquote other posts are not allowed
knownothing is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:40 pm
  #359  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,117
How does banning NY residents from GE prevent “another Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” when DHS (and/or its constituents’ predecessors) at the time of “Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” had access to data of the sort it claims to have been cut off from this year for NY? Scare stories may be extra fun at around Halloween especially, but I’ve yet to see how such scare stories have relevance to the DHS ban against NY-residing applicants for GE and the other TTPs being used by DHS against NY and its residents.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:09 pm
  #360  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,390
Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
Joel: I would think one would want the security checks. It is not the driver's license - it is that NY will not share the info (ie previous arrests, etc) You should be happy as it makes it safer to fly. If you are a normal NY resident - it is you who voted
Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
Again, please don't change the subject. Global Entry is a program of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection service that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to receive expedited clearance upon arrival into the United States. It has nothing to do with flying. It is to prevent another Fort Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center by keeping terrorists out of the US. It is managed by the US Customs and Border Protection

Pre-Check is another entity only associated with Global Entry that the clearance covers both. It is managed by Homeland Security
I hate again to be the one to make an obvious point, but it is your post that "change[d] the subject" and peculiarly brought up flying in this thread about "Global Entry". (emphasis in original)
Ari is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread