Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Implants and the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'll take you at your word.

Do you see a problem with the public believing anything that indicates TSA wrongdoing?

Why do you think that is?
It does indicate that while many people, and in some cases rightfully so, say TSA and gov't has a kneejerk reaction to things, so do many people in the public who give an instant reaction that is negative to TSA before all the facts have come out. A prime example of that is the incident a month or 2 ago where the passenger claimed that her child was taken away from her. The instant reaction was negative, even before there was any response. Now, whether or not the video of this will be released, who knows. Not my pay grade to make that call, but there are 2 sides to every story. And this guy's story, at least to me, doesn't add up.

PS: I do not work at this airport so I don't have first-hand knowledge of the incident like SATTSO does, I'm just going off of what I read in the article.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SATTSO
No I don't see a problem; people often believe the worst, and people have a general distrust of government.

But thanks for taking my word. There is actually more to the story, but I can't really say more. Maybe later. All I can say (and still might get I trouble for saying even this, as this is an ongoing event) the video refutes this mans story, he was screened by hand, no electronic equipment, and no TSO argued about it with him. And I seriously doubt the video will be released. I know of another recent "event" at SAT that made the local news, but quickly died when the police and the pax lawyer saw the video; and that video was never released...
You should not get into trouble for telling the truth. There is no way the fact airports have cameras can be SSI. Of course I never would have thought the fact that STSOs are not supposed to allow TSOs to play with weapons or explosives when discovered would be SSI either.

Now might be a good time for a vacation. May I suggest Oklahoma, nobody wants to go to Oklahoma so it would be the perfect place to hide.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You should not get into trouble for telling the truth. There is no way the fact airports have cameras can be SSI. Of course I never would have thought the fact that STSOs are not supposed to allow TSOs to play with weapons or explosives when discovered would be SSI either.

Now might be a good time for a vacation. May I suggest Oklahoma, nobody wants to go to Oklahoma so it would be the perfect place to hide.
Awww TK did you have to go and piss off a whole state?

Better place to hide, Barstow CA. There's the land that God forgot about.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Awww TK did you have to go and piss off a whole state?

Better place to hide, Barstow CA. There's the land that God forgot about.
Have you ever been to Oklahoma? If not you did not miss anything.

I have Diplomatic Immunity to trash the state, I was born there. Yep I am an Okie from Muskogee.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:05 pm

Have you ever been to Oklahoma? If not you did not miss anything.

I have Diplomatic Immunity to trash the state, I was born there. Yep I am an Okie from Muskogee.
Yup, driven across 40 thru OKC and then up 44 into MO. And also down through OKC heading for Texas.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Yup, driven across 40 thru OKC and then up 44 into MO. And also down through OKC heading for Texas.
And you saw nothing, right?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:09 pm

And you saw nothing, right?
Rolling green fields and cowpies...
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Rolling green fields and cowpies...
Yep.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No I don't see a problem; people often believe the worst, and people have a general distrust of government.

But thanks for taking my word. There is actually more to the story, but I can't really say more. Maybe later. All I can say (and still might get I trouble for saying even this, as this is an ongoing event) the video refutes this mans story, he was screened by hand, no electronic equipment, and no TSO argued about it with him. And I seriously doubt the video will be released. I know of another recent "event" at SAT that made the local news, but quickly died when the police and the pax lawyer saw the video; and that video was never released...
I think there is a problem and it is a rather large problem.

The public believes anything negative about TSA because enough events have shown TSA to be overstepping its charter. These problems are caused by poorly trained or poorly managed (or both) employees. My personal bet would be squarely on management.

Until your agency regains control these problems will continue happening and the snowball will just keep getting bigger.

If order is not restored the agency will eventually collapse under its on weight.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:29 am

I think there is a problem and it is a rather large problem.

The public believes anything negative about TSA because enough events have shown TSA to be overstepping its charter. These problems are caused by poorly trained or poorly managed (or both) employees. My personal bet would be squarely on management.

Until your agency regains control these problems will continue happening and the snowball will just keep getting bigger.

If order is not restored the agency will eventually collapse under its on weight.
I tend to disagree with what your saying. The public believes anything it sees on tv or reads in the paper. National enquirer, anyone?

Take just about any agency, any organization, any company, or any individual, publish a negative story about them, and people eat it up.

It's interesting, the other "event" I referenced made the local news, but when it came out that the pax was not honest, no news story about that. I doubtthere will be a news story about this dishonest pax. As far as the "public" will know, some bad things happened at SAT. Negativity sells, it always has, always will. Heck, reporters consider feel good stories to not be real news; we want to see peolpe bleed. I do and do not blame the media, they have to make money too, and make no mistake, the media is there just to make money like any other corporation. When all that is published is negativity, how far does that go to influence people. Yet at the same time, that is published because that is what people want to read.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to disagree with what your saying. The public believes anything it sees on tv or reads in the paper. National enquirer, anyone?

Take just about any agency, any organization, any company, or any individual, publish a negative story about them, and people eat it up.

It's interesting, the other "event" I referenced made the local news, but when it came out that the pax was not honest, no news story about that. I doubtthere will be a news story about this dishonest pax. As far as the "public" will know, some bad things happened at SAT. Negativity sells, it always has, always will. Heck, reporters consider feel good stories to not be real news; we want to see peolpe bleed. I do and do not blame the media, they have to make money too, and make no mistake, the media is there just to make money like any other corporation. When all that is published is negativity, how far does that go to influence people. Yet at the same time, that is published because that is what people want to read.
Some of what you say is correct but TSA has crossed a line that will not go away. This isn't about this one story. It is a much larger problem.

To me it's like a person with substance abuse issues, until they get to the point of admitting their problem no corrective action can be taken.

TSA has a problem but refuses to acknowledge that corrective action is required.

I just hate to see where rock bottom will take us.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:26 am

Some of what you say is correct but TSA has crossed a line that will not go away. This isn't about this one story. It is a much larger problem.

To me it's like a person with substance abuse issues, until they get to the point of admitting their problem no corrective action can be taken.

TSA has a problem but refuses to acknowledge that corrective action is required.

I wonder if any of the TSA screeners have ever heard of Bastille Day and why it is celebrated on 14 July? Or is asking them to learn history further back than this morning's briefing too much to ask?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:27 am

I'm not saying TSA doesn't have a problem, or even severe problems. I jus simply belied that even if TSA fixed it's problems to some extent (nothing can be perfect, there will always be problems) TSA will still have a very negative image in the publics eye and the public will always tend to believe the negative stories. That part of humanity can not be fixed.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:29 am

Rock Bottom is going to be when another plane falls from the sky.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Sean5294
Rock Bottom is going to be when another plane falls from the sky.
That is bound to happen regardless. No perfect security exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.