Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Implants and the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
TSA will always have a bad image. I've seen too many vindictive pax.
The bad image is self made, not because travelers just decided one day to not like TSA.

My memories of TSA.

Some years ago, but after TSA was in place. A sign at the entrance to the checkpoint said shoes did not have to be removed. OK for me, I have to take precautions to not damage my feet. So I did not remove my shoes, TSA employee jumps me and I pointed out the sign. I ended up getting an abusive screening.

Another airport, I caught a screener trying to remove something from my spouses purse as it exited the xray and she was not in a position to see. Reported the incident and got a "we all have to accept increased screening procedures from the FSD." As far as I know that person is still stealing from travelers.

Another airport, two TSA employees apparently going from checkpoint to checkpoint seeing that everything is in place. Only problem they are being driving by an airport worker in an electric cart meant for the use of handicapped travelers at the airport. While these two were overweight they seemed perfectly capable of walking and not tying up a resource for those who cannot walk. Sent a query to the FSD and got a response covering for the workers.

Now what kind of opinion would you form about TSA based on these observances?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:25 pm

I'm not saying TSA doesn't have a problem, or even severe problems. I jus simply belied that even if TSA fixed it's problems to some extent (nothing can be perfect, there will always be problems) TSA will still have a very negative image in the publics eye and the public will always tend to believe the negative stories. That part of humanity can not be fixed.
I don't buy it for a moment. Argenbright never had this kind of public image. The TSA has helped themselves to a lousy image.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:30 pm

TSA will always have a bad image. I've seen too many vindictive pax.
Wow, I really don't understand where you're coming from. I'd suggest that the overwhelming majority of people's opinions of the TSA are based on their personal experiences with the TSA, and that only a tiny fraction of passengers are "vindictive".

If you were correct that "vindictive pax" were the primary cause of the TSA's negative image, then all those pre-9/11 contractors who handled airport security would have just as negative an image as the TSA. That certainly wasn't the case. The TSA is noticeably worse than pre-9/11 private contractors.

I think the TSA has to take responsibility for its own problems. Until it does, there's not much chance of fixing those problems.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by daw617
I don't buy it for a moment. Argenbright never had this kind of public image. The TSA has helped themselves to a lousy image.
Argenbright also didn't operate under a microscope like TSA does, between the media, public, and all the other scrutiny. Any bad thing that TSA does, whether it happened how its described or not, hits the internet in 5 seconds and spreads like wildfire. Argenbright didn't operate in a time when you can walk through a checkpoint, have a bad experience, and then get on you blackberry and post it to the world before you've walked to your gate.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Argenbright also didn't operate under a microscope like TSA does, between the media, public, and all the other scrutiny. Any bad thing that TSA does, whether it happened how its described or not, hits the internet in 5 seconds and spreads like wildfire. Argenbright didn't operate in a time when you can walk through a checkpoint, have a bad experience, and then get on you blackberry and post it to the world before you've walked to your gate.
TSA has full control of the focus knob. All that is needed is the desire to turn the knob and focus the image.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by daw617
Wow, I really don't understand where you're coming from. I'd suggest that the overwhelming majority of people's opinions of the TSA are based on their personal experiences with the TSA, and that only a tiny fraction of passengers are "vindictive".

If you were correct that "vindictive pax" were the primary cause of the TSA's negative image, then all those pre-9/11 contractors who handled airport security would have just as negative an image as the TSA. That certainly wasn't the case. The TSA is noticeably worse than pre-9/11 private contractors.

I think the TSA has to take responsibility for its own problems. Until it does, there's not much chance of fixing those problems.
Sorry, when I made that post I was in a rush and didn't full explain. So I will try to clarify. I do not think TSAs public image problem primary cause is vindictive people. It's TSA own fault; however; I believe were TSA to correct that, and recognizing nothing can be perfect, or even close, there would still be a problem in the publics perception because of certain issues.

All security is about control, as is all governments. But I am not talking control of peope and property for the sake of control, I am talking about it simy from the perspective of maintaining control of access to the secure side of airports. By it's very design and nature TSA, or any agency tasked to do so, will dictate (yes dictate, I use that word on purpose) to people what they can and can not bring with them, and how they personally access the airport. Many people by their own nature resent this, and they have every right to resent that. I think it's a general human trait to desire to be free and unrestricted.

I believe that even if TSA were to have a zero policy toward bad customer service skills (rude TSOs), even if TSA responded quickly to passenger concerns, even if TSA did not bow down to those concerns, TSA would still have. Negative public image, though most likely not as bad as we do now.

We tell people what they can and can not do with their property and themselves. And as pointed out, these people are NOT criminals (yes i do recognize that). Yet by it's very nature TSA will exert control over people; some will resent this with all their heart, some will take it in stride, and others would care less.

So I don't see that TSA will have anything but a negative image, sorry.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Sorry, when I made that post I was in a rush and didn't full explain. So I will try to clarify. I do not think TSAs public image problem primary cause is vindictive people. It's TSA own fault; however; I believe were TSA to correct that, and recognizing nothing can be perfect, or even close, there would still be a problem in the publics perception because of certain issues.

All security is about control, as is all governments. But I am not talking control of peope and property for the sake of control, I am talking about it simy from the perspective of maintaining control of access to the secure side of airports. By it's very design and nature TSA, or any agency tasked to do so, will dictate (yes dictate, I use that word on purpose) to people what they can and can not bring with them, and how they personally access the airport. Many people by their own nature resent this, and they have every right to resent that. I think it's a general human trait to desire to be free and unrestricted.

I believe that even if TSA were to have a zero policy toward bad customer service skills (rude TSOs), even if TSA responded quickly to passenger concerns, even if TSA did not bow down to those concerns, TSA would still have. Negative public image, though most likely not as bad as we do now.

We tell people what they can and can not do with their property and themselves. And as pointed out, these people are NOT criminals (yes i do recognize that). Yet by it's very nature TSA will exert control over people; some will resent this with all their heart, some will take it in stride, and others would care less.

So I don't see that TSA will have anything but a negative image, sorry.
To add a little something here.. Even if TSA were to do everything SATTSO said, I think there would still be a backlash to it for the simple fact that it is a government agency. Maybe not as bad, but many people just don't want gov't being involved in their lives.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by TSO1973
To add a little something here.. Even if TSA were to do everything SATTSO said, I think there would still be a backlash to it for the simple fact that it is a government agency. Maybe not as bad, but many people just don't want gov't being involved in their lives.
As I said above I simply don't think it is true what you guys think about the bad image of security in general. While I don't enjoy security at any airport I see its rationale and I'm very happy with many security services outside the US.

The government agency argument is of course not valid, either. Sure you will always have some people on the extreme that are against everything (the "we hate bread, just for the fact that it feeds us" type) but I have never heard complaints about let's say the 911 operators (yes, it's the internet, bring out the articles, that prove me wrong, I'm sure there is something). But even if now an article pops up, what I want to say is:

The TSA is way to deep in the 'oh we're the victim of public perception' mood, it doesn't see and acknowledge where its problems are coming from and I think this is a shame.
If the TSA would have a more positive image in public and would be more professional in execution of its duties we all would be much safer since a the amount of stressed/tense people at checkpoints would decline and finding the bad guys would be easier.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Sebastian_R
As I said above I simply don't think it is true what you guys think about the bad image of security in general. While I don't enjoy security at any airport I see its rationale and I'm very happy with many security services outside the US.

The government agency argument is of course not valid, either. Sure you will always have some people on the extreme that are against everything (the "we hate bread, just for the fact that it feeds us" type) but I have never heard complaints about let's say the 911 operators (yes, it's the internet, bring out the articles, that prove me wrong, I'm sure there is something). But even if now an article pops up, what I want to say is:

The TSA is way to deep in the 'oh we're the victim of public perception' mood, it doesn't see and acknowledge where its problems are coming from and I think this is a shame.
If the TSA would have a more positive image in public and would be more professional in execution of its duties we all would be much safer since a the amount of stressed/tense people at checkpoints would decline and finding the bad guys would be easier.
+1.

For the most part (LGW and the current cluster-mess in Canada excepted), international airports are much better and more polite screening wise. Take NRT for example.

Customer service and politeness (as opposed to authoritarian entitlement) goes a long way to improving an agency image.

And yes, I recognize that a lot of the problem (and the rot) starts from the top, and even more is caused by the "double secret probation" type policies and the kind of lunacy we saw after the panties bomber (like the 1 hour prior to landing straitjacket policy).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Sebastian_R

As I said, I think security, if done properly and with respect, wouldn't bother some people. But let me ask you this, how many news stories do you see on tv inor in the papers where the media expouts the virtues and work well done by any government agency? Those are so few and far between.... People generally do not like government, and when you add the level of control an organization like TSA need, people like you, though appreciated; are the minority. Just my opinion, and I'll leave it at that.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Gold
I will say I've noticed a few airports that the TSA agents seem to be making an effort to be polite and helpful (which does go a long way in my book). Interestingly, of the ones I've obeserved, most of the politer, more respectful TSOs are older age-wise.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:16 am

I tend to disagree with what your saying. The public believes anything it sees on tv or reads in the paper. National enquirer, anyone?

Take just about any agency, any organization, any company, or any individual, publish a negative story about them, and people eat it up.

It's interesting, the other "event" I referenced made the local news, but when it came out that the pax was not honest, no news story about that. I doubtthere will be a news story about this dishonest pax. As far as the "public" will know, some bad things happened at SAT. Negativity sells, it always has, always will. Heck, reporters consider feel good stories to not be real news; we want to see peolpe bleed. I do and do not blame the media, they have to make money too, and make no mistake, the media is there just to make money like any other corporation. When all that is published is negativity, how far does that go to influence people. Yet at the same time, that is published because that is what people want to read.
^
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:51 pm

As I said, I think security, if done properly and with respect, wouldn't bother some people. But let me ask you this, how many news stories do you see on tv inor in the papers where the media expouts the virtues and work well done by any government agency? Those are so few and far between.... People generally do not like government, and when you add the level of control an organization like TSA need, people like you, though appreciated; are the minority. Just my opinion, and I'll leave it at that.
I think that mutual respect and professional behavior are what people expect from TSA, and government agencies in general, at all levels.

Every bit of horseplay, every mismanaged check point, every poorly trained TSO is detrimental to TSAs image and morale.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:19 pm
Suspended

You're ignoring the very important fact that very little of what TSA does makes anyone safer, and that many people know it. The shoe policy, for instance, is ridiculous -- no one has tried to use shoes as a delivery device for explosives in nearly a decade, because shoes are a lousy delivery device for explosives. There have been no shoe bombings in countries without a shoe carnival, there were no shoe bombings in the US before the shoe carnival was made mandatory for absolutely no good reason, there have been no shoe bombings since the carnival was made mandatory. Screening demonstrably has nothing to do with whether people use shoes to put bombs in. Yet TSA persists with a pointless, unhealthy policy that does nothing to make anyone safer and much to make security longer and more unpleasant.

The same could be said of the liquid policy, the international restrictions, the strip-search machines, the gate groping, the liquid checks of beverages at gates -- just about everything you do is an idiotic waste of time, conceived in a bed-wetting panic, untethered to any concern with reality or cost-benefit analysis. TSA's main function appears to be to do to our own society what the terrorists could not do themselves. Your agency is a pathetic joke that deserves every single bit of the widespread scorn, derision, and hatred Americans have for you. And everyone who puts on a TSA uniform in the morning should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:32 pm

As I said, I think security, if done properly and with respect, wouldn't bother some people. But let me ask you this, how many news stories do you see on tv or in the papers where the media expouts the virtues and work well done by any government agency? Those are so few and far between....
And why do you think that is? (It's an honest question.)

Look, people phone in story ideas to TV stations and newspapers all the time. I'm sure that some of them are utterly preposterous, and are dismissed out of hand. I'm sure that others of them are viewed as legitimate, but don't make it to print/air because they're viewed as not being as important as other stories.

You can write off an individual blogger "bad TSA" story as a crank with an axe to grind. But for that story to make it to a media news organization means that someone's made a determination (flawed as it may be) that the story has some merit, and is worth investigating.

People generally do not like government, and when you add the level of control an organization like TSA need, people like you, though appreciated; are the minority. Just my opinion, and I'll leave it at that.
People like government when government provides them with a recognized service; people dislike government when they impose an obligation upon them. Hence, senior citizens love the Social Security program because they get money out of it, while young people hate the Social Security program because they have to pay the taxes to fund it. And, of course, it's contradictory ... people love government when it provides them services, but despise government when it assesses taxes to pay for those services.

So, what does TSA need to do in order to be liked? Two simple things: provide a service that people want, and convince the public that in fact they in fact are providing a service that they want.

Nobody argues that airline travel needs security. But it's not clear to most of the public that the services TSA provides are, in fact, security. Which of the two things above aren't happening is a matter for debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.