Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Implants and the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Medical Implants and the TSA

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...SQ.cspx?rss=68

For the thousands of people who have implanted medical devices, going through airport security machines can be dangerous. That is the reason why their doctors usually tell them to ask to be 'wanded' or 'patted down' instead....

Walking through the metal detector zapped the power out of the battery for his implant, which will usually stay charged for a week. Tyler could hardly walk because of the pain. He ended up cutting his trip short to return home to recharge the battery. On the way back, he was again forced to go through the metal detector....
I am not believing this and I will bet the TSA has already located the video and the screening did not happen the way this man says.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Trollkiller

I am not believing this and I will bet the TSA has already located the video and the screening did not happen the way this man says.
Of course they will. If TSA's in the right, the video will magically appear within a few hours. If they're wrong, it'll never see the light of day.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Superguy
Of course they will. If TSA's in the right, the video will magically appear within a few hours. If they're wrong, it'll never see the light of day.
a-yup. gotta protect the privacy rights of the tso dontchanknow
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: TSA
wow

There is no way that a wtmd could cause that.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
There is no way that a wtmd could cause that.
Really? Are you a EE with medical design experience? The jury is still out on this as far as I am concerned.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:57 pm

All he has for proof is anecdotal. He could have been in soo much pain that he forgot to charge the battery. The side of his story about being told to ask for a handwanding is even more suspect. That wand has higher field strength than the WTMD.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
All he has for proof is anecdotal. He could have been in soo much pain that he forgot to charge the battery. The side of his story about being told to ask for a handwanding is even more suspect. That wand has higher field strength than the WTMD.
Are the frequencies the same for the WTMD and the hand wand? Some devices only respond to a relatively narrow band of frequencies.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:09 pm

Nope they are different. HHMD is really broad spectrum.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller

I don't know about the screening process, but the WTMD doesn't cause batteries to discharge AFAIK. The description sounds like a device called a spinal cord stimulator -- it's basically an internal T.E.N.S. unit. It's sensitive to strong electromagnetic interference, as from a defibrillator or therapeutic ultrasound -- but I don't think the energy from a WMDT is comparable to defibrillators. They can set off WMDT's, though.

Regardless, why didn't they just hand screen him?

~~ Irish
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
I don't know about the screening process, but the WTMD doesn't cause batteries to discharge AFAIK. The description sounds like a device called a spinal cord stimulator -- it's basically an internal T.E.N.S. unit. It's sensitive to strong electromagnetic interference, as from a defibrillator or therapeutic ultrasound -- but I don't think the energy from a WMDT is comparable to defibrillators. They can set off WMDT's, though.

~~ Irish
Because the screeners decided not to.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow

~~ Irish
He was hand screened, and no one argued with him. Part of this happened at SAT. There is video, it has been reviewed. I'm am sure he lied about the other airport too.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
He was hand screened, and no one argued with him. Part of this happened at SAT. There is video, it has been reviewed. I'm am sure he lied about the other airport too.
Was he screened by WTMD before being hand screened?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Was he screened by WTMD before being hand screened?
No. And no one argued with him. Maybe he didn't know he was being recorded, or who knows why people do what they do?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
No. And no one argued with him. Maybe he didn't know he was being recorded, or who knows why people do what they do?
I'll take you at your word.

Do you see a problem with the public believing anything that indicates TSA wrongdoing?

Why do you think that is?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'll take you at your word.

Do you see a problem with the public believing anything that indicates TSA wrongdoing?

Why do you think that is?
No I don't see a problem; people often believe the worst, and people have a general distrust of government.

But thanks for taking my word. There is actually more to the story, but I can't really say more. Maybe later. All I can say (and still might get I trouble for saying even this, as this is an ongoing event) the video refutes this mans story, he was screened by hand, no electronic equipment, and no TSO argued about it with him. And I seriously doubt the video will be released. I know of another recent "event" at SAT that made the local news, but quickly died when the police and the pax lawyer saw the video; and that video was never released...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.