Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

This is allegedly happening in Denver:

Seeing this on facebook - if true this is a VERY serious @TSA abuse of power that needs to be investigated.
12 TSA agents pulling people in line for searches. Flight 80% female, many dressed in pink, headed to DC for tomorrow's march.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is allegedly happening in Denver:

https://twitter.com/stevenjldamico/s...09150882164739

12 TSA agents pulling people in line for searches. Flight 80% female, many dressed in pink, headed to DC for tomorrow's march.
What's the violation? TSA has always claimed that they can do complete screenings post checkpoint.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What's the violation? TSA has always claimed that they can do complete screenings post checkpoint.
It's not a violation per se.
But it's pretty obvious exactly what it is.

Last edited by rickg523; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:14 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Harassment, pure and simple. Reminds me of the time TSA searched the sorority sisters.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Harassment, pure and simple. Reminds me of the time TSA searched the sorority sisters.
Why would TSA harass these particular people? I'm sure TSA is not in bed with Trump just yet, heck he just fired Neffy.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Why would TSA harass these particular people? I'm sure TSA is not in bed with Trump just yet, heck he just fired Neffy.
Well, he didn't fire Neffy - Neffy quit.

Who knows why they would harass this group: because there were many of them all on one flight, headed to DC with one purpose? Surely there must have been at least ONE terrorist amongst them.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, he didn't fire Neffy - Neffy quit.

Who knows why they would harass this group: because there were many of them all on one flight, headed to DC with one purpose? Surely there must have been at least ONE terrorist amongst them.
I have no doubt that TSA was doing a gate check but I seriously doubt it was because of who these people were or how they were dressed. The tweet only calls out the number of TSA screeners but not how many passengers got pulled for a search. I'd be interested in knowing how many searches were conducted.

And no I am not in favor of gate checks. If TSA screening procedures are so bad that they cannot do a normal checkpoint screening with confidence then I think it is clear where the failure will be found.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
It's not a violation per se.
But it's pretty obvious exactly what it is.
What exactly is it since you seem to know?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
I am against TSA gate searches altogether but I'm finding it hard to connect the two.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: none
Looking at the first post, it's perfectly clear what is happening.

Anyone who can't get the full story from reading the internet post should not be allowed to access FT. It's for their own good because there are actually stories floating around that are either unverified or false. (It's called FAKE NEWS)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What exactly is it since you seem to know?
As described, it's harassment under colour of authority.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the conduct is part of a pattern of searching women going to attend the women's march, it is a First Amendment violation.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
If the conduct is part of a pattern of searching women going to attend the women's march, it is a First Amendment violation.
Since TSA already conducts gate checks I think it would be hard to prove this was targeted unless an informant was found. Just because it was a flight with a high number of women proves nothing without some other evidence.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since TSA already conducts gate checks I think it would be hard to prove this was targeted unless an informant was found. Just because it was a flight with a high number of women proves nothing without some other evidence.
There are all sorts of other evidence available, primarily statistical. I have also read that Canadians coming to protest Trump were refused entry to the US at land boarders, but I haven't seen that confirmed by reliable sources.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
There are all sorts of other evidence available, primarily statistical. I have also read that Canadians coming to protest Trump were refused entry to the US at land boarders, but I haven't seen that confirmed by reliable sources.
Law enforcement likes Republicans. With Trump in power they probably feel safe ignoring people's rights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.