Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Law enforcement likes Republicans. With Trump in power they probably feel safe ignoring people's rights.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Law enforcement likes Republicans. With Trump in power they probably feel safe ignoring people's rights.
TSA screeners are not law enforcement nor did Trump have anything to do with this gate check.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
While the actions seem excessive, I have a suspicion that TSA or the airline may have received a threat or warning that one of the boarding pax was "packing", either a weapon or some sort of device. explosive or incendiary, to be employed in DC. Even for an unverified threat with little or no evidence of severity, TSA would be thrown under the public bus had anything occurred.

Of course, for a variety of good reasons (and some poor ones), TSA will certainly not confirm or deny a threat or warning.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TMOliver
While the actions seem excessive, I have a suspicion that TSA or the airline may have received a threat or warning that one of the boarding pax was "packing", either a weapon or some sort of device. explosive or incendiary, to be employed in DC. Even for an unverified threat with little or no evidence of severity, TSA would be thrown under the public bus had anything occurred.

Of course, for a variety of good reasons (and some poor ones), TSA will certainly not confirm or deny a threat or warning.
You mean one of the things TSA is paid to catch at the checkpoint?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA screeners are not law enforcement nor did Trump have anything to do with this gate check.
You miss the point entirely.

TSA isn't the cops but they're quasi law enforcement.

And I didn't say Trump had anything to do with it, I'm saying that we are entering an era where law enforcement abuses, at least in the fashion that the Republicans like, will have a blind eye turned towards them.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You miss the point entirely.

TSA isn't the cops but they're quasi law enforcement.

And I didn't say Trump had anything to do with it, I'm saying that we are entering an era where law enforcement abuses, at least in the fashion that the Republicans like, will have a blind eye turned towards them.
Oh, I get the point, it's just your point makes no sense nor is it supported by facts.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I get the point, it's just your point makes no sense nor is it supported by facts.
TSOs are state actors. If some supervisor has a bug up his butt about Trump protesters, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he or she elected this form of harassment, which would be a prima face First Amendment violation. What, exactly, about this doesn't make sense?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This. It's not unlike the CBP agents who turned back Canadians coming south to participate in the marches.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
TSOs are state actors. If some supervisor has a bug up his butt about Trump protesters, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he or she elected this form of harassment, which would be a prima face First Amendment violation. What, exactly, about this doesn't make sense?
Gate checks are used by TSA. I've been a lucky recipient of them. The key bits of missing information is how many were pulled and if it was only women. Barring some additional evidence I don't think anyone can demonstrate harassment.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rickg523
As described, it's harassment under colour of authority.
Isn't this the definition of TSA?

TSA is not law enforcement and they have no concept of people's rights.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gate checks are used by TSA. I've been a lucky recipient of them. The key bits of missing information is how many were pulled and if it was only women. Barring some additional evidence I don't think anyone can demonstrate harassment.
I agree -- there's not enough information. However, what we do know is not inconsistent with harassment.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:58 pm

Oh, so when they did it before with Obama as president they were feeling VERY uncomfortable
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I hope there's an investigation of this, just as thorough as the investigation of I.R.S. for targeting Republicans.

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 21, 2017 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:47 am

No facts here. Just an internet post that could have been posted by anyone anywhere.

It may or may not have even happened. If something happened, then one of the people that felt singled out can - and should - file a complaint.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<deleted>

If 80% of the people who were screened that day were women on planes bound for Washington were protest attire, and only 2% of the people passing through the airport that day were screened, what do you think you can reasonably infer?

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 22, 2017 at 10:08 am Reason: Redact quote of deleted post and response

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.