Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nexttime
The books were in checked bags. TSA is learning to warn against certain items in Checked bags.

The most recent concerns the Super Bowl to be held in Houston, Texas.

From the Houston Chronicle:

Why Super Bowl programs could slow visitors' departures from Houston airports

Attention Super Bowl-goers: Don't pack your gameday programs in checked luggage when leaving from Bush Intercontinental or Hobby Airports. "That souvenir will cause a gridlock to our baggage system," said Gerry Phelan, the Transportation Security Administration's federal security director at Bush Intercontinental.
No. Many of the sorority sisters had their souvenir books in their carry-on bags. The checkpoints came to a standstill because every single bag with the souvenir book had to be pulled for a complete search and swab.

Every single one.

This stupid warning just transfers gridlock from the baggage search area to the checkpoint area. One wonders if Super-bowl fans will face the 100% searches that the sorority sisters did.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How thick is a Super Bowl program? And what kind of x-ray can see through metal but not a program likely thicker than a couple of magazines?

I'm not so sure that its technology that's the problem on this kind of thing.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How thick is a Super Bowl program? And what kind of x-ray can see through metal but not a program likely thicker than a couple of magazines?

I have read somewhere that it's because most paper is 'organic' - processed wood. Books or piles of paper, particularly thin paper, are both dense and 'organic'. It's supposedly similar to the reason cheese in blocks will get pulled for inspection - it's a dense 'organic' that some xrays/operators can't distinguish from a block of some kind of explosive.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I have read somewhere that it's because most paper is 'organic' - processed wood. Books or piles of paper, particularly thin paper, are both dense and 'organic'. It's supposedly similar to the reason cheese in blocks will get pulled for inspection - it's a dense 'organic' that some xrays/operators can't distinguish from a block of some kind of explosive.
That's my understanding, also. A block of undifferentiated organic material of that sort of density looks like any other such undifferentiated organic material. Cheese, paper, explosives, they can't tell them apart.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Yes, if these items are going to cause gridlock at baggage screening, they are going to cause even more gridlock at checkpoints.

Rather than identify the offending item and allow people to go on their way, TSA chooses to tear bags apart and grope passengers, which causes the gridlock.

BTW, more reports are surfacing of TSA doing further screening at time of boarding, the latest was checking IDs against boarding passes.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
...Rather than identify the offending item and allow people to go on their way, TSA chooses to tear bags apart and grope passengers, which causes the gridlock.

If the technology does not exist to automatically 'identify' the offending item, what is your solution to expediting screening? Just allowing it through would create a gap in security.

...BTW, more reports are surfacing of TSA doing further screening at time of boarding, the latest was checking IDs against boarding passes.
Link to verifiable report(s)?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global321
If the technology does not exist to automatically 'identify' the offending item, what is your solution to expediting screening? Just allowing it through would create a gap in security.

Link to verifiable report(s)?
Find the item, remove it and rescreen it, but don't remove every single item from one's carryon and then also grope the passenger.

What would you consider a "verifiable report"? A statement from TSA that they are doing gate checks at airports A, B & C? There's a great deal on twitter that is garbage but I do find reports of gate checks on twitter to be valid.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by chollie
No. Many of the sorority sisters had their souvenir books in their carry-on bags. The checkpoints came to a standstill because every single bag with the souvenir book had to be pulled for a complete search and swab.

Every single one.

And your evidence is? You have not provided any verifiable information to support your claims...I have. The books were in checked bags.

Other evidences that TSA will warn against programs in a checked bags.

2015 TSA: Super Bowl programs should go in carry-on bags

2015 Phoenix Sky Harbor to Welcome Record Number of Super Bowl XLIX Visitors If you have a Super Bowl program, please place it in your carry-on bag

In 2013 (abouts) a NASCAR event was held in Arizona, and I can recall seeing signs at the ticket counters about not putting the NASCAR Programs in the checked bags.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexttime
And your evidence is? You have not provided any verifiable information to support your claims...I have. The books were in checked bags.

Other evidences that TSA will warn against programs in a checked bags.

2015 TSA: Super Bowl programs should go in carry-on bags

2015 Phoenix Sky Harbor to Welcome Record Number of Super Bowl XLIX Visitors If you have a Super Bowl program, please place it in your carry-on bag

In 2013 (abouts) a NASCAR event was held in Arizona, and I can recall seeing signs at the ticket counters about not putting the NASCAR Programs in the checked bags.
If the books were in checked bags, then why were there delays at checkpoints and "lines out the door"?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...by-6415830.php
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:54 pm

If the books were in checked bags, then why were there delays at checkpoints and "lines out the door"?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...by-6415830.php
Not at all out of the realm of likely possibilities to accept many checked them and many carried them on. Even 20% - 30% of more than normal secondary screening would certainly result in "lines out the door". (Maybe 10% above norm.)

Last edited by Global321; Feb 6, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all out of the realm of likely possibilities to accept many checked them and many carried them on. Even 20% - 30% of more than normal secondary screening would certainly result in "lines out the door". (Maybe 10% above norm.
Any links to verifiable reports supporting that conclusion?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:35 am

Any links to verifiable reports supporting that conclusion?
Let's go to math camp...

Extra screening takes 5 minutes (Probably more, might be slightly less)
60,000 passengers per day. (Source Denver Post on traffic)
20% Extra x 60,000 = 12,000
12,000 x 5 minutes = 60,000 minutes

So if 20% of passengers needed 5 extra (unplanned) minutes...
20% Extra = 1,000 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY
10% Extra = 500 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY
5% Extra = 250 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY

Safe to say that would put lies out the door.

As Marshall from HIMYM would say... Lawyered!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's go to math camp...

Extra screening takes 5 minutes (Probably more, might be slightly less)
60,000 passengers per day. (Source Denver Post on traffic)
20% Extra x 60,000 = 12,000
12,000 x 5 minutes = 60,000 minutes

So if 20% of passengers needed 5 extra (unplanned) minutes...
20% Extra = 1,000 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY
10% Extra = 500 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY
5% Extra = 250 EXTRA (uplanned) man hours PER DAY

Safe to say that would put lies out the door.

As Marshall from HIMYM would say... Lawyered!
Not at all out of the realm of likely possibilities to accept many checked them and many carried them on. Even 20% - 30% of more than normal secondary screening would certainly result in "lines out the door". (Maybe 10% above norm.)
Perhaps but how many books where placed in carry-on? That's the claim you were asserting.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:26 am

Perhaps but how many books where placed in carry-on? That's the claim you were asserting.
Fair enough. I was going off the post that seemed to indicate a massive influx of checks in a short period of time. Absolutely true I took a stab at the amount. But thinking about it logically, if a huge group came at a peak time, while the overall number of hours needed could go down significantly, the percent over norm of additional screening would go up dramatically in those few hours, thus creating the 'out the door' problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.