Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Irrespective of the question of whether any bias was exercised in the inspections, do you really have no problem with all travelers to specific destinations being subjected to inspections? Inspections for WEI are for the purpose of preventing terrorist acts to the aircraft, not to potential targets at the destination. Under what precedent and constitutional authority can the government avoid the Fourth Amendment if it conducts searches of anyone traveling to a specific city?

The People's Republic of China used to require internal passports for its citizens, and permission to travel to from one locale to another (it doesn't anymore). Is that where we're heading?
Aren't we pretty much already there? ID is almost required to fly, soon Real ID's will be required and TSA can deny access to the sterile area of airports without explanation while using secret policies.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The government's arguable excuse for additional "security" for flight to the D.C. area may involve the concern that targets at the destination may be hit using the plane.
Except that, as 9/11 taught us, ANY plane that is commandeered can be flown anywhere -- none of the hijacked planes were destined for their target cities. Moreover, with reinforced doors and sterile cockpit procedures, that simply can't happen anymore (unless it's a pilot, in which case passenger inspections are pointless).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Aren't we pretty much already there? ID is almost required to fly, soon Real ID's will be required and TSA can deny access to the sterile area of airports without explanation while using secret policies.
I tend to think this ID business is nonsense. However, my focus isn't on what it takes to get on board a plane, but the government requiring screening to travel to specific destinations within the United States. That, I think, is far more concerning; the government has no power to restrict travel within the US, or to require special inspections or permission because you're traveling to a specific city.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to think this ID business is nonsense. However, my focus isn't on what it takes to get on board a plane, but the government requiring screening to travel to specific destinations within the United States. That, I think, is far more concerning; the government has no power to restrict travel within the US, or to require special inspections or permission because you're traveling to a specific city.
I understand and agree but that seems to be exactly what TSA is doing. Until a a successful challenge is mounted it seems to be the way things will be for some time to come.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Agreed, but they are doing exactly that at the moment. ID checks, no this & that, full body search etc.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that, as 9/11 taught us, ANY plane that is commandeered can be flown anywhere -- none of the hijacked planes were destined for their target cities. Moreover, with reinforced doors and sterile cockpit procedures, that simply can't happen anymore (unless it's a pilot, in which case passenger inspections are pointless).
If bad guys take over a plane that's not heading for Washington they have more warning that something is wrong. It's about adding layers of security.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:58 pm

What I think the debate now is... how much do you trust the gov't?

Neither sides cannot "prove" their position.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Global321
What I think the debate now is... how much do you trust the gov't?

Neither sides cannot "prove" their position.
"Neither of the above" is what I think.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If bad guys take over a plane that's not heading for Washington they have more warning that something is wrong. It's about adding layers of security.
"Layers of 'security'" is why these TSA gate checks exist. Resource constraints are also why the gate searches are limited and yet biased.

The government's identification demands for travel are but a way to try to enable a form of restriction of the travel of even US citizens attempting to travel just domestically.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 24, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
"Neither of the above" is what I think.

"Layers of 'security'" is why these TSA gate checks exist. Resource constraints are also why the gate searches are limited and yet biased.

The government's identification demands for travel are but a way to try to enable a form of restriction of the travel of even US citizens attempting to travel just domestically.
Instances of accidental and intentional "stowaways" and of using another person's boarding pass, while not commonplace, or also not unheard of. Marilyn Hartman on her own might account for 50% or more of these incidents in recent history.

But in light of the demonstrated real possibility of such an incident, increased security activity related to an NSSE is to be expected and is not prima facie evidence of bias.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Instances of accidental and intentional "stowaways" and of using another person's boarding pass, while not commonplace, or also not unheard of. Marilyn Hartman on her own might account for 50% or more of these incidents in recent history.

But in light of the demonstrated real possibility of such an incident, increased security activity related to an NSSE is to be expected and is not prima facie evidence of bias.
If the stowaway is screened for WEI by TSA then why doesn't their identity matter?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107

The first paragraph's last sentence is of doubtful veracity.

The second paragraph reads sort of like a slimmed down governmental apology for continuity of these practices and to try to justify discriminatory measure that attempt to use proxy factors to nail people who would otherwise more explicitly have a claim to being discriminated against on a basis that violates their constitutional rights and/or civil liberties.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There were gate checks performed that day at DEN for some flights to the DC area.
I meant of the particular gate check of the WN flight that started this thread - to know more details which could shed more light on it.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The first paragraph's last sentence is of doubtful veracity.

The second paragraph reads sort of like a slimmed down governmental apology for continuity of these practices and to try to justify discriminatory measure that attempt to use proxy factors to nail people who would otherwise more explicitly have a claim to being discriminated against on a basis that violates their constitutional rights and/or civil liberties.
I don't know how many stowaway instances there have been - my guess is they will call that SSI. The comment about Ms. Hartman was what Letterman used to call "writer's embellishment" and was meant to be taken humorously.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I meant of the particular gate check of the WN flight that started this thread - to know more details which could shed more light on it.
Details... H-O-A-X!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Sorority sisters had their books in their carry-on bags; that's why they were searched. I never attempted to "validate" anything, just said it reminded me of the sister searches.
The books were in checked bags. TSA is learning to warn against certain items in Checked bags.

The most recent concerns the Super Bowl to be held in Houston, Texas.

From the Houston Chronicle:

Why Super Bowl programs could slow visitors' departures from Houston airports

Attention Super Bowl-goers: Don't pack your gameday programs in checked luggage when leaving from Bush Intercontinental or Hobby Airports. "That souvenir will cause a gridlock to our baggage system," said Gerry Phelan, the Transportation Security Administration's federal security director at Bush Intercontinental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.