Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA overstepping in Denver [gate searches of flight with women headed to DC march]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
Threats have been made against the now president of the USA. It is very prudent to conduct searches on flights to DC.
Reminds me of the guy (David Harris) who got visited by the FBI and had his phone tapped because he wrote "LBJ makes me puke" on the return address line of an envelope. The rationale was if enough people puked on LBJ it would suffocate him.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Reminds me of the guy (David Harris) who got visited by the FBI and had his phone tapped because he wrote "LBJ makes me puke" on the return address line of an envelope. The rationale was if enough people puked on LBJ it would suffocate him.
Safe to say the threats followed up on today are more serious.

Which brings us back to the original post of this thread. One phrase keeps coming to mind about the 'incident'... internet hoax.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PreCheck scam? PreCheck is great! I have nothing to hide. Check away and let me get quickly through security. Spend more time on those that do not want to give up information.

If it is cleared by gov't lawyers, it would be safe to assume they believe their process is legal/constitutional. And, until a court says otherwise, it is.

In 2013, the TSA reviewed and revised all training documents to emphasize that unlawful profiling violates agency policy and anti-discrimination laws are ineffective as a security tool because terrorism has no "typical" face, race, nationality, ethnicity or gender.
(source CNN)

Do they? I guess that is the debate here.
Just curious but what do you think TSA BDO's do?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just curious but what do you think TSA BDO's do?
You are confusing behavior detection with profiling.

Behavior Detection Officers "identify potential terrorists based on behaviors that it thinks indicate stress or deception". A list of behaviors that are considered suspicious can be found here.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are confusing behavior detection with profiling.

Behavior Detection Officers "identify potential terrorists based on behaviors that it thinks indicate stress or deception". A list of behaviors that are considered suspicious can be found here.
Pure and simple profiling by TSA.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 pm

I think you are creating your own definition of profiling.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Profiling indeed. And the PreCheck scam and haraSSSSment flagging are but a computer-assisted version of profiling.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Having read through all, I'm still confused as to whether some are claiming discrimination because it was a large group of WOMEN chosen or discrimination because it was ANTI-TRUMP protesters chosen?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Having read through all, I'm still confused as to whether some are claiming discrimination because it was a large group of WOMEN chosen or discrimination because it was ANTI-TRUMP protesters chosen?
There are other possibilities than just those two mentioned above.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Was there ever any corroboration of the "incident" aside from the one tweet cited at the beginning of this thread?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Was there ever any corroboration of the "incident" aside from the one tweet cited at the beginning of this thread?
There were gate checks performed that day at DEN for some flights to the DC area.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
While there are multiple reports of extra security going into DC (from multiple airports), there are none/zero/zip confirmed (or alleged) reports of profiling/bias.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:53 pm
Suspended

While there are multiple reports of extra security going into DC (from multiple airports), there are none/zero/zip confirmed (or alleged) reports of profiling/bias.
Is the above a suggestion that the TSA "extra security" is all done without any bias? If that suggestion were "true", then I have for sale a bunch of bridges between DC and Virginia.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is the above a suggestion that the TSA "extra security" is all done without any bias? If that suggestion were "true", then I have for sale a bunch of bridges between DC and Virginia.
Irrespective of the question of whether any bias was exercised in the inspections, do you really have no problem with all travelers to specific destinations being subjected to inspections? Inspections for WEI are for the purpose of preventing terrorist acts to the aircraft, not to potential targets at the destination. Under what precedent and constitutional authority can the government avoid the Fourth Amendment if it conducts searches of anyone traveling to a specific city?

The People's Republic of China used to require internal passports for its citizens, and permission to travel to from one locale to another (it doesn't anymore). Is that where we're heading?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
Irrespective of the question of whether any bias was exercised in the inspections, do you really have no problem with all travelers to specific destinations being subjected to inspections? Inspections for WEI are for the purpose of preventing terrorist acts to the aircraft, not to potential targets at the destination. Under what precedent and constitutional authority can the government avoid the Fourth Amendment if it conducts searches of anyone traveling to a specific city?

The People's Republic of China used to require internal passports for its citizens, and permission to travel to from one locale to another (it doesn't anymore). Is that where we're heading?
I'm no fan of additional inspections of passengers at the gate for departing (or sometimes even arriving) flights. Nor am I a fan of ID requirements to travel to, from or around any or every place at which the passengers have a fundamental legal right to be.

The government's arguable excuse for additional "security" for flight to the D.C. area may involve the concern that targets at the destination may be hit using the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.