Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DEN TSA rigs WBI in order to grope male genitals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN TSA rigs WBI in order to grope male genitals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:11 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Thanks for the reply. One more question, did you acquiesce and go into the private room at the time of the other search?
Sad to say, both times I ended up going into the room after 10 minutes of haggling and asking for public inspection. Both times, it took me over 40 minutes to clear security. Both times, my carryon bags were completely emptied and all contents swabbed. Both times, it was a false ETD alarm that triggered the event. Both times, the STSO was arrogant and rude.

(Both times, the STSOs were reassigned very soom thereafter. Coincidence? I certainly made sure that all around me knew what was going on during the entire process -- even got comments of sympathy from TSOs during subsequent excursions through the same checkpoints about the situation.)

In one case, the STSO was enjoying the process, humming and whistling to himself. The TSO "observing" seemed uncomfortable with the entire situation. I formally complained to TSA about this situation, especially the STSO's behavior. TSA gave me the standard "no-response/no-followup" response. Also complained to my legislators, who sent me form letters about the importance of protecting the public (forget about protecting the Constitution and citizens).

These two incidents, along with many other encounters with TSA's "finest' during the past 4.5 years since the implementation of the grope/NOSs, have firmly colored my opinion about the TSA and cemented even more firmly my opinion of my government. And they also have resulted in me almost NEVER flying my family anywhere, even when I can arrange an itinerary that involves traversing only through WTMD-only checkpoints -- I just do NOT trust the TSA's "representatives" to keep their hands off my wife, children, and grandchildren.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS
Sad to say, both times I ended up going into the room after 10 minutes of haggling and asking for public inspection. Both times, it took me over 40 minutes to clear security. Both times, my carryon bags were completely emptied and all contents swabbed. Both times, it was a false ETD alarm that triggered the event. Both times, the STSO was arrogant and rude.

(Both times, the STSOs were reassigned very soom thereafter. Coincidence? I certainly made sure that all around me knew what was going on during the entire process -- even got comments of sympathy from TSOs during subsequent excursions through the same checkpoints about the situation.)

In one case, the STSO was enjoying the process, humming and whistling to himself. The TSO "observing" seemed uncomfortable with the entire situation. I formally complained to TSA about this situation, especially the STSO's behavior. TSA gave me the standard "no-response/no-followup" response. Also complained to my legislators, who sent me form letters about the importance of protecting the public (forget about protecting the Constitution and citizens).

These two incidents, along with many other encounters with TSA's "finest' during the past 4.5 years since the implementation of the grope/NOSs, have firmly colored my opinion about the TSA and cemented even more firmly my opinion of my government. And they also have resulted in me almost NEVER flying my family anywhere, even when I can arrange an itinerary that involves traversing only through WTMD-only checkpoints -- I just do NOT trust the TSA's "representatives" to keep their hands off my wife, children, and grandchildren.
Bolding mine.

As well you should. TSA screeners have proven, time and time again, to not be trustworthy. The Denver deal is just one more case of TSA screwups.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDS

You might be interested in this that was posted at TSANewsBlog.com:

At one of the airports where I worked, it was common for screeners to
impose additional screening and/or try to make passengers miss their
flights if the passenger made them feel disrespected or requested
special treatment -- for instance, asking for hand inspection of
medication or camera film. This was colloquially referred to as
"passenger education" -- i.e., we'll teach them not to do that again.
Supervisors were complicit in this, although we were warned not to admit
it if any of the higher-ups questioned our behavior. We were told to
simply say we were doing random screening, or had noticed something
suspicious that required investigation.

Incidentally, having worked briefly for the TSA twice, this article doesn't surprise me at all.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...#disqus_thread

~~

From Jason Harrington, former TSA screener:

http://time.com/3822487/tsa-sexual-assault-denver/
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:35 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
QUOTE: At one of the airports where I worked, it was common for screeners to
impose additional screening and/or try to make passengers miss their
flights if the passenger made them feel disrespected or requested
special treatment -- for instance, asking for hand inspection of
medication or camera film. This was colloquially referred to as
"passenger education" -- i.e., we'll teach them not to do that again.
Supervisors were complicit in this, although we were warned not to admit
it if any of the higher-ups questioned our behavior. We were told to
simply say we were doing random screening, or had noticed something
suspicious that required investigation.
I can state with certainty from personal experience that this happens -- I am not one to quietly or meekly traverse the security point with my tail between my legs when confronted with TSA stupidity / arrogance; and I've been on the receiving end of this many times. It just stiffens my resolve to not submit, and we then start to have "fun" during the particular "security" encounter.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What If We Did an Opt-Out Day at DEN?

Given all of this in the news and the scumbags involved, I think the ultimate form of protest & harassment would be to hold an Opt-Out Day at DEN. Imagine if everyone opted out and had to be groped in public while someone else filmed it? Imagine if all of the PreCheck extortionees refused to go through PreCheck and also opted out? The lines would be out the door and every clerk would have to participate in the gropings. Wished I was flying through DEN soon.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN Sexual Assault: Melvin The Singer Responds

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/04/disturbi...in-denver.html

He called it a "disturbing incident..."

It's also clear that he wrote it for his own clerkforce's consumption.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Interesting that the standard

"The actions of a few individuals in no way reflects upon the 50,000+ employees..."

boilerplate was now replaced with:

"This blatant violation of public trust by two individuals has significantly tarnished TSA’s reputation. Think about it – in an agency that employs more than 50,000 people, the irresponsible and potentially illegal behavior of just one or two reckless employees can severely and negatively impact the operational effectiveness of everyone else committed to carrying out our vital national security mission."
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart

"The actions of a few individuals in no way reflects upon the 50,000+ employees..."

"This blatant violation of public trust by two individuals has significantly tarnished TSA’s reputation. Think about it – in an agency that employs more than 50,000 people, the irresponsible and potentially illegal behavior of just one or two reckless employees can severely and negatively impact the operational effectiveness of everyone else committed to carrying out our vital national security mission."
So, I guess the 500-odd clerks caught stealing from passengers, the drug-running clerks, documented harassment incidents, rubbing our noses in the FOIA, Privacy Act, and the Constitution in general, and imposing ionizing radiation for a number of years on the American public did nothing to "significantly [tarnish] TSA's reputation?"
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart

Actually ... I can't remember the last time I saw a TSA statement that used the former boilerplate. I think someone in TSA's hierarchy has finally understood that the actions of a few, in fact, do reflect on everyone else.

On the whole, I think the statement is really good. It doesn't attempt to deflect blame; it specifically praises the whistleblower as "the lone bright spot" in the whole incident. Other than not allowing the incident to have occurred in the first place, this seems to be an appropriate response.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
You can trust the TDC, The DO, the x-ray operator, the wmtd monitor and the dynamic TSO.
Why should I trust ANYONE who wears one of your phony cop uniforms? As far as I'm concerned every single one of you is a creep who's abusing their power to commit sexual assault. Why else would you be taking naked pictures of people and rubbing their genitals for a living?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Actually ... I can't remember the last time I saw a TSA statement that used the former boilerplate. I think someone in TSA's hierarchy has finally understood that the actions of a few, in fact, do reflect on everyone else.

On the whole, I think the statement is really good. It doesn't attempt to deflect blame; it specifically praises the whistleblower as "the lone bright spot" in the whole incident. Other than not allowing the incident to have occurred in the first place, this seems to be an appropriate response.
I agree with your assessment. Melvin's statement certainly did have a much different tone than Pissy would have put out.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
I agree with your assessment. Melvin's statement certainly did have a much different tone than Pissy would have put out.
Yes, that change in tone is what caught my eye.

While potentially promising, it remains to be seen if this is a one-off, or an actual longer term change.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

The former boilerplate is what we've usually read in press reports as part of the quoted response from a TSA spokesperson whenever a TSA employee is involved in some sort of negative incident. Whether it's in the formally released statements, I don't know. But you may be right, it may have been a while since it was used last; I'm not sure when the last incident happened either.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:20 am
KDS

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Given all of this in the news and the scumbags involved, I think the ultimate form of protest & harassment would be to hold an Opt-Out Day at DEN. Imagine if everyone opted out and had to be groped in public while someone else filmed it? Imagine if all of the PreCheck extortionees refused to go through PreCheck and also opted out? The lines would be out the door and every clerk would have to participate in the gropings. Wished I was flying through DEN soon.
I'll be flying from DEN in a week. DEN is one checkpoint where I usually have difficulties even with PreCheck; I'm kinda wondering how they'll react to my normal "pushback" activities that day.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS
I'll be flying from DEN in a week. DEN is one checkpoint where I usually have difficulties even with PreCheck; I'm kinda wondering how they'll react to my normal "pushback" activities that day.
You could start the encounter by asking the clerk in a loud enough voice to be heard by those around you: "What gender to you have it set to?" I may say that at Dulles on Monday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.