Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DEN TSA rigs WBI in order to grope male genitals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN TSA rigs WBI in order to grope male genitals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
As do I, but I seriously doubt that any of the victims will come forward in this case.

Leaving aside that there are many who meekly accept such assault as being necessary and proper in the name of security, there is also the matter of the public humiliation a victim must endure when reporting such an assault. Having your name plastered all over the national media as "the guy who had his junk fondled by the TSA" would certainly not be an enjoyable experience. Even if the assault itself did not traumatize the victim to a great extent (everybody reacts differently to such invasions), the crap he'd have to deal with in the media, and from his family, friends, coworkers, and random strangers would make his life a living hell.

Funny thing is, I shouldn't have to post this, because this is exactly the same crap that female victims deal with, and male victims are no different. Well, there is one difference - female victims are often seriously accused of "asking for it" and slut-shamed after an assault, while my guess is that the male victims in this case would only be ribbed, ridiculed, and teased about "asking for it" by drunken morons who think the whole thing is a big joke. It would be just as painful and humiliating to the victim, but the intent would be more humorously vicious and less angrily vicious.
Perhaps the worst would be the questions from defense lawyers if there was a trial.

These two are still out there and will at some time be back in a job. I would hate for either of these two to have opportunity to abuse the public because TSA seems to have bungled this incident so badly.

Also I think a very hard review is in order for TSA at Denver and even nationwide. Cell phones appear to have been used to among screeners. We don't know if that was while working or exactly what but that needs to be addressed.

Also how TSA supervises the checkpoints ought to be a topic of conversation. My observations are that TSA supervisors seem to be placed in a manner that makes direct supervision difficult at best.

I am convinced that many problems exist with TSA likely starting with the acting Administrator who is known for destroying hard drives.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The constant TSO use of cellphones at the checkpoint puts my safety at risk. Screeners using their cellphones are not paying attention to the job at hand. As studies of texting drivers have shown, the distraction is real and serious.

Of course, one TSO has posted here that her personal circumstances, her personal need for a cellphone at the checkpoint because of family issues, trumps my need for safety and TSA's requirement that she keep her mind focused on her job and the agency mission.

I hope she never served in the military. The battlefield is also not a place for cellphone distractions.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
The constant TSO use of cellphones at the checkpoint puts my safety at risk. Screeners using their cellphones are not paying attention to the job at hand. As studies of texting drivers have shown, the distraction is real and serious.

Of course, one TSO has posted here that her personal circumstances, her personal need for a cellphone at the checkpoint because of family issues, trumps my need for safety and TSA's requirement that she keep her mind focused on her job and the agency mission.

I hope she never served in the military. The battlefield is also not a place for cellphone distractions.
If, as eyecue stated, that screeners are not allowed to use cellphones while working the checkpoint then obviously you must be mistaken about what you are seeing with your very own eyes.

We have been told time and time again that TSA screeners are highly trained professionals so I can't fathom that even one of them would violate a basic rule and use their personal cellphone when it is not permitted.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If, as eyecue stated, that screeners are not allowed to use cellphones while working the checkpoint then obviously you must be mistaken about what you are seeing with your very own eyes.

We have been told time and time again that TSA screeners are highly trained professionals so I can't fathom that even one of them would violate a basic rule and use their personal cellphone when it is not permitted.
eyecue says the rules are not widely enforced (at DEN, anyway) - possibly because otherwise unoccupied STSOs and LTSOs would be bored out of their minds. It's clear from incidents like this that they are not monitoring the actions of their underlings. They also seem to be some of the worst offenders IME - perhaps because their hands aren't otherwise occupied rifling pax bags and bodies.

Perhaps <deleted> will weigh in to say that the rule is enforced at his checkpoint when he's working.

We know that there is no rule at SAT because a TSO from there has said cellphones are allowed (and must be allowed) because TSOs might have important personal business that requires them to have cellphone access at all times. Presumably (hopefully?) this TSO never served in a combat zone.

Given what cellphones were used to discuss at DEN, I have to also wonder about the exact nature of pressing personal communications at SAT.

IMHO, the DEN TSA investigator should be fired for not getting the personal information of the pax who he witnessed being sexually assaulted.

1) He is complicit in the coverup of a crime. He witnessed a crime and did not report it. Would he have similarly looked the other way if the victim had been a child? I suspect the answer is still 'yes'.

2) He did not know the complete nature of what he was investigating. For all he knew, the pax being groped was part of a scam to smuggle contraband past the checkpoint in his crotch. Could have been $$, drugs - or plastic explosive. By making assumptions and failing to conduct a full investigation, this guy put everyone at potential risk. He is not qualified to work in this agency - or any other.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eyecue says the rules are not widely enforced (at DEN, anyway) - possibly because otherwise unoccupied STSOs and LTSOs would be bored out of their minds. It's clear from incidents like this that they are not monitoring the actions of their underlings. They also seem to be some of the worst offenders IME - perhaps because their hands aren't otherwise occupied rifling pax bags and bodies.

Perhaps <deleted> will weigh in to say that the rule is enforced at his checkpoint when he's working.

We know that there is no rule at SAT because a TSO from there has said cellphones are allowed (and must be allowed) because TSOs might have important personal business that requires them to have cellphone access at all times. Presumably (hopefully?) this TSO never served in a combat zone.

Given what cellphones were used to discuss at DEN, I have to also wonder about the exact nature of pressing personal communications at SAT.

IMHO, the DEN TSA investigator should be fired for not getting the personal information of the pax who he witnessed being sexually assaulted.

1) He is complicit in the coverup of a crime. He witnessed a crime and did not report it. Would he have similarly looked the other way if the victim had been a child? I suspect the answer is still 'yes'.

2) He did not know the complete nature of what he was investigating. For all he knew, the pax being groped was part of a scam to smuggle contraband past the checkpoint in his crotch. Could have been $$, drugs - or plastic explosive. By making assumptions and failing to conduct a full investigation, this guy put everyone at potential risk. He is not qualified to work in this agency - or any other.
At Denver I think any investigation should start with the FSD. Too many things going on at TSA Denver to just be a fluke.

I would support an investigation by an outside LEO agency to cover all of TSA from Washington down to the people hired today.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still Out There

Both Shafi and Spicha’s Facebook pages were taken down after CBS4 began trying to contact them.
The female clerk is still up on Twitter, although she hasn't posted anything in several years, and is up on Vine and Pinterest. The male clerk is still up on Photobucket with some interesting pictures that would tend to explain his interest in front-of-the-hand gropings.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:48 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite

Saw X-ray baggage screener on cell phone this morning at FNT. So apparently my eyes are lying to me, too.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by KDS
Saw X-ray baggage screener on cell phone this morning at FNT. So apparently my eyes are lying to me, too.
"The web site is out of date."

"That's not how we do it here."

"What you saw was official business."

"You're a liar."

"You're delusional."

"You must be mistaken. Maybe the dedicated transportation security professional you saw was simply scratching his ear."

Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS
I did ask eyecue if the cellphone rules were local to Denver.

S/He hasn't responded to that query as of yet.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Of course it would take Congress to stand up and take the real action to curb this agency.
Only when House members and senators are starting being groped.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by KDS
How else is he supposed to notify the baggage handler that a freshly-unlocked bag full of goodies is on its way?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am

I did ask eyecue if the cellphone rules were local to Denver.

S/He hasn't responded to that query as of yet.
IIRC, eyecue is a happily married male (with a female ex-federal judge for a boss).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, eyecue is a happily married male (with a female ex-federal judge for a boss).
Just giving the benefit of doubt.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As I've done more than one hundred trips, I've been ripped off by the TSA? Oh wait, we're being ripped off even if flying once and only once. No wonder that the TSA wants to electronically rip-off our clothes to check out the biological heirlooms too. At the TSA screening checkpoint, no family jewels are off-limits to the TSA, unless you are a member of the exempted nomenklatura. This thread shows that to be the case.
Unfortunately, my somewhat dry sense of humor doesn't always translate to the internet. The incidents of theft at the checkpoint should be zero.

I was going off his linked in claims. I think I properly restated that he claimed to be Assistant Administrator. Sounds like TSA has Asst. Administrators for each major HQ Department.

If I recall correctly it was Denver where the screener brought his gun to work after his vehicle broke down on the way to work and more recently Denver screeners tried to confiscate actor Peter Mayhew's Light Saber walking cane because it was a replica weapon.

I could certainly be wrong but something seems to be out of order with TSA Denver. Only an independent investigation can fairly investigate if appropriate. I would be doubtful of any internal TSA investigation. They could srart with a drug screen of every Denver TSA employee. Bet the results would be alarming.
What is an assistant administrator? Does the assistant administrator have a vice-assistant administrator in case something happens to him/her?

I think I've discovered part of the reason that the budget is so high...

Mik
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Unfortunately, my somewhat dry sense of humor doesn't always translate to the internet. The incidents of theft at the checkpoint should be zero.

What is an assistant administrator? Does the assistant administrator have a vice-assistant administrator in case something happens to him/her?

I think I've discovered part of the reason that the budget is so high...

Mik
Since you asked.....

All of the Program Offices senior position are titled as Assistant Administrators with the exception of Fancine Kerner who is listed as Chief Counsel.

It certainly seems to be an awful lot of senior executive types.

http://www.tsa.gov/about-tsa/leadership

Melvin Carraway, Acting Administrator
Mark Hatfield Jr., Acting Deputy Administrator
Thomas McDaniels, Chief of Staff
Kenneth Fletcher, Chief Risk Officer

Program Offices

Acquisition, Latetia Henderson
Chief Counsel, Francine Kerner
Civil Rights and Liberties, Ombudsman, and Travel Engagement, Kimberly Walton
Finance and Administration, Pat Rose, Jr.
Global Strategies, Paul Fujimura
Human Capital, Karen Shelton Waters
Information Technology, Stephen Rice
Inspection, Sophia Jones
Intelligence and Analysis, Joseph Salvator
Law Enforcement/Federal Air Marshal Service, Roderick Allison
Legislative Affairs, Sarah Dietch
Professional Responsibility, Heather Book
Security Capabilities, Jill Vaughan
Security Operations, Kelly Hoggan
Security Policy and Industry Engagement, Eddie Mayenschein
Strategic Communications and Public Affairs, LuAnn Canipe
Training and Workforce Engagement, Brett Gunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.