Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
I'm guessing passport # will be on each passport page.
According to the FAQ in the State Department webpage linked above by Valerian:
The passport number in the NGP book begins with a letter, followed by eight numbers. It is located in the top right corner of your data page and is included throughout the NGP book on the bottom of each page.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
"The most visible changes to the new passport book are the polycarbonate, multi-layered plastic, data page, and the passport number, which now includes both letters and numbers."

So perhaps no changes to the pages...?
The pages have some modifications to the background artwork.
CX HK likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:35 pm

Very very odd that there isn’t more information about the nextgen passport, and that there is no discussion of this in the media, nor any articles mentioning it.
CX HK likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Valerian
Very very odd that there isn’t more information about the nextgen passport, and that there is no discussion of this in the media, nor any articles mentioning it.
not really, it is only years late and hundreds of millions of dollars over original estimates - business as usual, nothing to see here.....
Xyzzy and CX HK like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Section 107
not really, it is only years late and hundreds of millions of dollars over original estimates - business as usual, nothing to see here.....
One might almost think that somewhere, someone is embarrassed about this and that's why the transition is happening with very little fanfare.

BTW, I received my very first US passport today and unsurprisingly, it's the old design. Based on the post above, I expect that will be the case for the majority of applicants for a few months still.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
One might almost think that somewhere, someone is embarrassed about this and that's why the transition is happening with very little fanfare.

BTW, I received my very first US passport today and unsurprisingly, it's the old design. Based on the post above, I expect that will be the case for the majority of applicants for a few months still.
Agreed. Am not surprised you got the ePassport and not the NextGen passport. They have just announced it and have contracts to produce equipment through about March of 2022. In addition, BoE&P and DoS planning and budget documents state that they were planning to complete the rollout in FY 2022 (October 2021 to September 2022). I think by next summer the NextGen passport will be the solely issued version. It will be predominantly the old version now, with a very gradual shift over a year.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Agreed. Am not surprised you got the ePassport and not the NextGen passport. They have just announced it and have contracts to produce equipment through about March of 2022. In addition, BoE&P and DoS planning and budget documents state that they were planning to complete the rollout in FY 2022 (October 2021 to September 2022). I think by next summer the NextGen passport will be the solely issued version. It will be predominantly the old version now, with a very gradual shift over a year.
I'm actually glad I got the ePassport. I don't much care for the look of the NextGen one. Also, my other passport (Norwegian) has a polycarbonate biodata page. Not only did that cause me problems back in the day (early polycarbonate pages got brittle with age and would come loose from the passport,) it also makes the passport bulkier. It may be more secure, though.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:18 pm

It is more secure. When I am confident I will get one, I will renew. Despite having renewed fairly recently. These days, I will take the extra security and protection.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:27 pm

It is more secure. When I am confident I will get one, I will renew. Despite having renewed fairly recently. These days, I will take the extra security and protection.
What worries do you have about your current one being abused, assuming you keep it in your possession?
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
What worries do you have about your current one being abused, assuming you keep it in your possession?

Data and ID theft is a major problem in general. I would be inclined to always opt to maximize security on these fronts.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:20 am

Department of State is so proud of their achievement that the announcement was done via subfolder on a website. No real demonstration of product features. No media articles or announcements. No discussion of rollout. Bizzare.

Last edited by Valerian; Jul 24, 2021 at 1:13 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Department of State is so proud of their achievement that the announcement was done via subfolder on a website. No real demonstration of product features. No media articles or announcements. No discussion of rollout. Bizzare.
In what way does the above matter, and what is the point of “tooting their own horn” or not on this? To drive up unnecessary queries about why applicants didn’t get a new version? Rather than getting busy marketing to a domestic audience, perhaps the country should have all hands on deck for issuing just the common passport version in widest US circulation.

As unfortunately the State Department won’t scrap the idea of this expensive approach for those eligible for US passports now and in the future, the slower the rollout the better it is for America’s passport users in the aggregate. I apply for too many personal passports to welcome the inevitable price hike that will eventually come with the arguably less environmentally-friendly US passport version with the polycarbonate biodata page.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In what way does the above matter, and what is the point of “tooting their own horn” or not on this? To drive up unnecessary queries about why applicants didn’t get a new version? Rather than getting busy marketing to a domestic audience, perhaps the country should have all hands on deck for issuing just the common passport version in widest US circulation.

As unfortunately the State Department won’t scrap the idea of this expensive approach for those eligible for US passports now and in the future, the slower the rollout the better it is for America’s passport users in the aggregate. I apply for too many personal passports to welcome the inevitable price hike that will eventually come with the arguably less environmentally-friendly US passport version with the polycarbonate biodata page.
passport fees probably going up $20-25. Not a dramatic increase overall. Are you recommending clients get their passport renewed now? DoS likely to get around to raising passport fees very soon if they have launched the tourist version. So that passport fee increase is coming much sooner, rather than later. My guess is by winter. Possibly by this fall.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The initial increase in price won’t be the only increase in price. And due to the no additional passport page thing carrying on for this new version too, for some US citizens the US passport costs are rocketing up faster than on average in that way too.

Also, given US children’s passports aren’t going to be spared a price hike, the costs for American families that travel abroad will add up even faster than on average too.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

This is the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debateforum, the place to discuss issues affecting travel safety and security.

While some natural deviation from the subject of the thread is fine, please keep the focus of the discussion on the more secure version of the US passport, not speculation about an increase in passport fees unless those are directly related to the issuance of Next Generation Passport. You are welcome to start a new thread about passport fees going up in TravelBuzz or the USA forums, where such topics have historically been discussed.

Future posts which have nothing to do with the next generation of the US passport will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.