Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Compensation costs go up a lot with overtime, and I have little doubt that the supply and logistics costs for the blanks and to use the blanks have been rising too this year. Just be glad that the USG isn't using dates in Q4 2021 to get the baselines to determine what the "user fee"-type pricing of this new US passport type should be from the final week of 2021 and for all of 2022. Some may want to hope that the government doesn't start running the baselines for costing of "the next generation" US passports very often, or this "next generation" passport will be case of US passport application costs rising more extremely for ordinary US passport applicants than inflation.
100% agreed. We could see prices double from here.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by HibernateNow
since passport fees are going up by $20 on December 27, will they guarantee NextGen passports for applicants after that date?

(didn't think so, but had to ask anyway.... )

are there any passport agencies that only issue NextGen passports for in-person same-day issuance?(for emergencies)

THanks!
I would imagine spring to summer 2022 before you can reasonably expect one. Most applicants are getting the old epassport.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Compensation costs go up a lot with overtime, and I have little doubt that the supply and logistics costs for the blanks and to use the blanks have been rising too this year. Just be glad that the USG isn't using dates in Q4 2021 to get the baselines to determine what the "user fee"-type pricing of this new US passport type should be from the final week of 2021 and for all of 2022. Some may want to hope that the government doesn't start running the baselines for costing of "the next generation" US passports very often, or this "next generation" passport will be case of US passport application costs rising more extremely for ordinary US passport applicants than inflation.
while I understand the desire for user fees, I believe government, in most cases, should not be charging fees for most services required documents that only government can provide and are already paid for by taxes. And any user fees, if imposed, should be nominal because if they end up coming anywhere near to approximating actual cost then many "customers" will be priced out of the only source of passports, or any other similar, government issued only document or service. In my mind, user fees like this are simply wrong.
Spiff, GUWonder and gsoltso like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:12 am

I called them and made an appointment for urgent processing. I actually have just enough time to renew it at the US embassy in the destination country, but decided not to take the chance.

My plan was to see if my local Passport Agency was issuing new or old style passport. When I spoke with live reps on the phone, they couldn't tell me.(not surprising, since they handle passport questions nationwide)

I showed up this morning almost an hour earlier than my scheduled appointment. There were only 5 or 6 other people inside, but it still took almost 40 minutes to be called to a window. I asked the employee if I would be getting a new-style passport. She said they had been issuing the "NextGen" style since end of September. She gave me a slip to come back at 3PM. Since it's pointless to drive another hour to go home and then come back, I'm going to have lunch and take a nap in my car.

speaking of the "urgent" service, they didn't ask why I needed urgent service or provide any kind of documentation. (although I was fully prepared with all the papers to prove it)

*update: picked it up after lunch and it was the new one as promised... but quality is kind of low.

Last edited by HibernateNow; Nov 2, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:10 am

What quality? Aesthetic or.production? Or both? Doesn't surprise me.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:40 pm

I called them and made an appointment for urgent processing. I actually have just enough time to renew it at the US embassy in the destination country, but decided not to take the chance.

My plan was to see if my local Passport Agency was issuing new or old style passport. When I spoke with live reps on the phone, they couldn't tell me.(not surprising, since they handle passport questions nationwide)

I showed up this morning almost an hour earlier than my scheduled appointment. There were only 5 or 6 other people inside, but it still took almost 40 minutes to be called to a window. I asked the employee if I would be getting a new-style passport. She said they had been issuing the "NextGen" style since end of September. She gave me a slip to come back at 3PM. Since it's pointless to drive another hour to go home and then come back, I'm going to have lunch and take a nap in my car.

speaking of the "urgent" service, they didn't ask why I needed urgent service or provide any kind of documentation. (although I was fully prepared with all the papers to prove it)

*update: picked it up after lunch and it was the new one as promised... but quality is kind of low.
Please share some pictures!
Old Nov 7, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
Please share some pictures!
will try... it's currently in the hands of visa expediters.(just 2 more consulates to go)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:22 am

Here you go:
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/prad...001/index.html
https://www.swiftpassportservices.co...tion-passport/
chrisny2, gsoltso and CX HK like this.

Last edited by cafeconleche; Nov 8, 2021 at 6:31 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Next Generation passport- so random

Just renewed our passports. Wife and I sent them in same day.

The check for hers was cashed first, then mine a few days later.

Then a few weeks later, MINE gets approved and sent out as a Next Gen passport.

Today, hers arrives, dated 5 days later than my issuance and its the older type passport.

Random government at work!
Old Nov 14, 2021, 3:00 pm

will try... it's currently in the hands of visa expediters.(just 2 more consulates to go)
Just curious, which agency did you end up going to and did you get regular size (26 pg) or large size book? May need to renew mine at an agency with how my travel schedule is shaking out...
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Datapoint: Mailed an expedited request in on 10/28, with a stated date of travel for 12/2. I really didn't think based on their current lead times that I would get it back in time (had contingency plans just in case). Received new passport in the mail on 11/5. Very surprised. It is the new NextGen passport.
txviking likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:59 pm

Which passport center was this?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:42 am

Well surprise surprise, I just received an email from the embassy that the passport book security surcharge will be going up by $20 at the end of the month.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Unfortunately predictable. And I'm pretty certain the new generation passports' supply input/production are such that this $20 increase won't be the last fee hike tied to this passport book changeover done under color of the "security" excuse.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Blazing Saddles
In case you are interested, I sent out my passport renewal (expedited service) on December 13, 2021.

I received the passport today, December 29th. It is the "next generation" style and arrived from Tucson, AZ.

The security features are quite impressive.

Happy not traveling,
Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.