Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:11 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I Texas licenses seem, as far as I can tell, to have all the information required by REAL ID but apparently the sharing via a Federal database and maybe the various "proofs of residency/citizenship" are an issue. .
You must prove legality in the US to get a Texas DL/ID card. If someone is on certain types of visas the DL will have an expiry date the same as the visa.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
You must prove legality in the US to get a Texas DL/ID card. If someone is on certain types of visas the DL will have an expiry date the same as the visa.
Which seems reasonable to me but obviously that is a hot button for some. Since I was born into a military family, went on to work 42 years for the military, and have a spouse who still works for the military my whole life has been one of IDs, badges, security checks, etc., so it's all kind of normal to me. Guess I'm just conditioned.....maybe "brainwashed" by some thinking.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by relangford
Unfortunately, each State has its own ways of "proving" a DL is valid. Years ago, I need to get a Texas charitable organization license, but had to take a course on what to look for to prove a valid TX license. I was told we should never tell anybody, but we had dozens of people in the class. Thus, I cannot tell, but there are deliberate typos and coded numbers.

While I do not like the idea of granting government(s) more power, a national ID (to be used for identification, including voting and TSA) makes some sense since we have been told voter fraud is / is not a major problem and obtaining a valid ID is easy / difficult - depending upon your political stance - thus solving both "problems". Since States (including DC and territories) already issue DLs and even non-DL ID cards, it would be just moving the power from the States to the Federal government. Maybe the card could even have check marks indicating it is also a drivers license, Medicare card, hand gun permit, etc. (it should be a chip-enbedded card).
I would like to see that too (considering, as an example, my HK driving licence is a piece of paper while HKID functions as my primary identification. The only problem is showing all of the information on the front of the card and endorsements, as I doubt there is much space on the front with all the personal particulars, nor the back after the card states I am over 18 and have the permanent right of abode in HK at the back.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.