Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Was this at MIA?
I think I may have seen him in the past...
SFO
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Jaxxon
New Employee makes a mistake.

Supervisor corrects the situation immediately.

End of story.

Quick! Cue outage!
Sarcasm duly noted. However...
How do you feel about some moron being in charge of your security who cannot even memorize the fifty states? Just image what other things they might ignore.

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
All of this has me thinking: Are drivers licenses issued by Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the USVI and CNMI valid for use at a TSA checkpoint? The verbiage states that they accept "state" issued photo ID.
The verbiage is state or federal photo IDs and technically DC is under federal jurisdiction so that should be covered.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:23 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Leviticus
The verbiage is state or federal photo IDs and technically DC is under federal jurisdiction so that should be covered.
DC licenses are issued by the DC DMV, which is not a federal agency.

I assume the actual text of the regulations specifies "state-equivalent" or something to that effect.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Leviticus
How do you feel about some moron being in charge of your security who cannot even memorize the fifty states? Just image what other things they might ignore.
Clearly, he memorized all 50 states, but forgot about the District of Columbia.

Seriously, though, it is sad that even those purportedly responsible for our nation's security doesn't even realize that a license from the capitol of our country is valid per his organization's rules.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Touche ^
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:34 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
There is a "White" guy at IAH CBP with a strong French accent (not sure if from France or Quebec or whatnot but very French) and it is very hard to understand him and he is famous amongst several local travellers for being an .... Lucky for me with GE I have not had to deal with him much but he is a "mid-rung" guy. So it is not just the Spanish accents. I've lived all over the world, speak a few different tongues, and even have family where is English is not a first tongue so I try to understand all and do an ok job, but I expect CBP to at least be able to be understood...and I do not mean by just speaking louder LOL
Or Louisiana Creole? It's not that far away of a drive from IAH.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:47 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mkt
Or Louisiana Creole? It's not that far away of a drive from IAH.
Oh no, he's French, or maybe from Quebec, but not Acadian or cajun by any means. I dated enough of those girls and dealt with their families over the years let alone being way down in that swamp land listening to those folks.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... and yet the souvenir passports from the Conch Republic have been accepted by the TSA as photo ID.

Originally Posted by cbn42
DC licenses are issued by the DC DMV, which is not a federal agency.

I assume the actual text of the regulations specifies "state-equivalent" or something to that effect.
Government-issued.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Government-issued.
But that would include city or public university ID as well... it has to say more than that.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbn42
But that would include city or public university ID as well... it has to say more than that.
Here's what the TSA characters post publicly under the ridiculous heading that "identity matters".

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

I'll grab another look at the TSA guides next week to get a more current look and see what it says -- I don't care about SSI ridiculousness.

Here's what it said in 2009:

Originally Posted by TSA
The ID is either a photo ID issued by a Government authority, an airport issued SIDA or sterile area airport ID card, or aircraft operator issued RAMP or CREW ID
City or public universities generally considered government authorities? Doubt it. Cities considered government-authorities? Sure.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Seriously, though, it is sad that even those purportedly responsible for our nation's security doesn't even realize that a license from the capitol of our country is valid per his organization's rules.
Isn't DC, a district in Columbia (country)?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:09 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by nrr
Isn't DC, a district in Columbia (country)?
Colombia

Distrito Capital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C...pital_District
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:50 am

I disagree, I think that he may realise something his supervisor didn't - that licence might not be valid, per the letter of their rules. Their rules say:

"Driver's Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)"

A DC licence is not a "state photo identity card" because DC is not a state.

I actually think the officer declining it was, technically, the one in the right per the letter (though obviously not the spirit) of the rules. If I was new to the job, brainwashed into believing that what I did was CRITICAL that I follow the rules exactly, and scared of getting demerits early on in the career, I'd probably check with a supervisor JUST TO BE POSITIVE.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by alexmt
I disagree, I think that he may realise something his supervisor didn't - that licence might not be valid, per the letter of their rules. Their rules say:

"Driver's Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)"

I actually think the officer declining it was, technically, the one in the right per the letter (though obviously not the spirit) of the rules. If I was new to the job, brainwashed into believing that what I did was CRITICAL that I follow the rules exactly, and scared of getting demerits early on in the career, I'd probably check with a supervisor JUST TO BE POSITIVE.
You'd have to be beyond brainwashed, into BRAINDEAD territory, to believe that NO resident of the nation's capital city is allowed to fly using their driver's license as ID. What does he think they do at BWI, IAD, and DCA, where millions of DC residents fly every year? Send them ALL to secondary? Not every DC resident has a Costco membership card, ya know!

Or how about Puerto Rico, USVI, Guam, and other US territories that aren't states but are definitely part of the United States?

This guy was an idiot, plain and simple.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexmt

Their rule is more like this:

"The ID is either a photo ID issued by a Government authority, an airport issued SIDA or sterile area airport ID card, or aircraft operator issued RAMP or CREW ID".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.