Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by mkt
This was back in the early days of social media. Online justice then required purchasing a domain with the suffix "sucks", and good usage of SEO.

Disney took care of it quite quickly. When security and the manager arrived, they had the ID book (which should have been at the bar), and they verified the authenticity of my ID. The manager even comped me a drink for the misunderstanding.

With Costco, even through the police officer vouched for the authenticity of my ID, they still refused to sell me the alcohol. It took a letter on law firm letterhead (thanks dad!) for Costco to see the error of their ways. I received a letter of apology and a free year of Costco membership. I now use my passport as my ID for going there though, since the same employee is still working there (at least she was last november).

Disney 1, Costco 0.
The most absurd part of this is that they should only be confirming your age, so who cares where your ID is from? A friend was once refused entry to a local bar with his Canadian driver's license. And I was once refused entry to a different bar with an expired driver's license while I waited for the new one in the mail. I didn't cease to be of legal age the day after my license expired. It's the mindless following of procedure with no thought to what they are actually preventing/allowing that annoys me.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mh3265a
YES they are all valid. It's not whether they are a "state" or not rather whether they meet REAL ID Act requirements which all states and U.S. territories do
Actually, that's not true. Only about half the states/territories currently have REAL ID compliant DLs, from what I can see, and about a third have extensions to meet the requirements.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mkt
With Costco, even through the police officer vouched for the authenticity of my ID, they still refused to sell me the alcohol. It took a letter on law firm letterhead (thanks dad!) for Costco to see the error of their ways. I received a letter of apology and a free year of Costco membership. I now use my passport as my ID for going there though, since the same employee is still working there (at least she was last november).

Disney 1, Costco 0.
Here in MA, many liquor stores no longer take out of state ID
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:21 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Not to digress too much but:
Originally Posted by CDKing
Here in MA, many liquor stores no longer take out of state ID
The TABC-TExas Alcoholic Beverage Comm. has insane power over certain aspects of bar/package stores that they can enforce via laws in Texas. Due to their tactics many bars will not accept federal (military for example, or passport) or out-of-state IDs. Not all are like that but they can if they want, and they blame the TABC.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Actually, that's not true. Only about half the states/territories currently have REAL ID compliant DLs, from what I can see, and about a third have extensions to meet the requirements.
Correct. Louisiana DLs do not comply with REAL ID standards.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by PHLisa
The most absurd part of this is that they should only be confirming your age, so who cares where your ID is from? A friend was once refused entry to a local bar with his Canadian driver's license. And I was once refused entry to a different bar with an expired driver's license while I waited for the new one in the mail. I didn't cease to be of legal age the day after my license expired. It's the mindless following of procedure with no thought to what they are actually preventing/allowing that annoys me.
I think it's to prevent liability. If an out-of-state ID is fake, they would get into trouble.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:27 pm

I recall once overhearing a Northwest Airlines ticket agent ask a passenger from Iran for their state and ZIP code. [It's not exclusively a government employee thing.]

The passenger had a good comeback: "ZIP code! Lady, they're still riding camels over there."
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:29 pm

This thread reminds me of a story I heard almost 20 years ago. I searched the internet to see if I could find it, could not, so maybe it was a hoax. However, it was funny enough I will share it anyway.

A man from West Virginia is driving through Arizona, and of course his car has a West Virginia license plate. He is not speeding or doing anything illegal, but a police car pulls him over. The policeman asks for his drivers license, the man offers it to him, and he is immediately arrested and incarcerated, not being told why. Two hours later, the local police department determines that West Virginia really is a state, and releases the man.

I did not intend to offend anyone from Arizona, but I do have many friends living in Arizona who don't doubt one minute it could be a true story.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by garykung
This sounds hilarious.

But this news makes me wonder a valid point - under what authority can DC DMV (as well as other territories) issue ID or DL? My understanding is without an act of the U.S. Congress, these places do not have the same authorities as states.

And BTW - I never relied on that list anyway. In the past when I still worked for the Fed, I have been using HSPD-12 PIV when TSA did not explicitly say it can be used for travel.
Originally Posted by ND76
The District of Columbia "Home Rule Charter", which is the "organic statute" for the activities of the DC local government, is an Act of Congress, Public Law 93-198, approved 12/24/1973:

http://www.abfa.com/ogc/hrtall.htm
Maybe we should give the TSO in the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was just questioning the jurisdiction and statute under which the DL was valid. Ya know, a legal scholar.

Mike
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There's a reason many New Mexico license plate designs also have "USA" on them.

A friend who used to live there and tried to get Olympic tickets from the US representative for them some time ag was rebuffed by the telephone agent when he gave his address. He was told he couldn't do so as he wasn't a US resident.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There's a reason many New Mexico license plate designs also have "USA" on them.
Same for Guam USA and CNMI USA.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think it's to prevent liability. If an out-of-state ID is fake, they would get into trouble.
Could it not be scanned to verify authenticity?
(OT: I think that the USA should have chip IDs to prevent fakes from being issued. If even developing nations like Brazil, Argentina, and Malaysia have chips on their ID documents, states can do the same thing. Argentina and Malaysia I do not have links although I can confirm for sure for both as I saw a man take out the mykad when filling out a Singaporean D/E card and an Argentine reentering their nation at EZE.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Feb 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
As stated on here before.... I had a "Agent" @ MCI ask me for additional ID when I presented my Hawaii Drivers License when I flew back home on personal biz and wasn't flying armed..... because he was having issues remembering if Hawaii was a state or not....

It took less than a minute and I was on my way......but still.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
What would really fix all of this: not allow driver's licenses to be used for proof of anything but ability to legally drive, and use a uniform national ID for everything else. It would make life to much easier, but many are afraid it would give the government too much power (as opposed to what the government already has). It would be easy to implement under the commerce clause and would be more efficient.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
All of this has me thinking: Are drivers licenses issued by Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the USVI and CNMI valid for use at a TSA checkpoint? The verbiage states that they accept "state" issued photo ID.
I bet they are. The TSA website says:

Driver's Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
I think that last part would qualify them for use. I checked, and Guam has an equivalent of a DMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.