Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Better yet...as you hold it out for the TSO to test your drink, just drop it to the floor followed by an "oops, my bad" (and then just walk away)
Oh! This made me LOL!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better yet...as you hold it out for the TSO to test your drink, just drop it to the floor on their shoes followed by an "oops, my bad" (and then just walk away)
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Better yet...as you hold it out for the TSO to test your drink, just drop it to the floor on their shoes followed by an "oops, my bad" (and then just walk away
That's not what I said
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
there were reports of FTers refusing the drink charade when it first rolled out
Can it still be refused?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Want to know part of why the TSA's Red Team test rating failures are "off the charts" according to Rep. Mica? Obsession over things that are not a threat.

Binary liquid explosives on a commercial aircraft are pure fantasy.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Binary liquid explosives on a commercial aircraft are pure fantasy.
Kind of like a six-year-old girl wearing an explosive vest under her skin-tight shirt.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what I said
Sorry, was trying to make a funny comment.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
That's not what I said
It seems the strikethrough function isn't installed on this forum, and he was doing the "I fixed your post" routine popular on message boards.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM

we've known about this silliness for a while, but the subject line is currently the top headline at drudge.

link is to a colorado tv news story that basically boils down to "well this is dumb, and TSA won't explain why they're doing it"..

there's one passenger interviewed who sounds like she wants to be an AFS type, but she is still bewildered by this stupidity....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Drudge 7/5

Main headline article

http://www.kjct8.com/news/Passenger-...t/-/index.html
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
1. Chug drink.
2. Hand TSO the empty bottle.
3. Thank them for taking care of your trash, and finally making themselves useful.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Interesting...

We asked the TSA about the drink testings and they said, "TSA employees have many layers of security throughout airports. Passengers may be randomly selected for additional screening measures at the checkpoint or in the gate at any time."

Wonder if they're saying "attempting to enter the jetway", or if they claim they can wander around the gate seats and just start testing.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat1A
we've known about this silliness for a while, but the subject line is currently the top headline at drudge.

link is to a colorado tv news story that basically boils down to "well this is dumb, and TSA won't explain why they're doing it"..

there's one passenger interviewed who sounds like she wants to be an AFS type, but she is still bewildered by this stupidity....
And one of the most entertaining comment threads ever.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Interesting...

We asked the TSA about the drink testings and they said, "TSA employees have many layers of security throughout airports. Passengers may be randomly selected for additional screening measures at the checkpoint or in the gate at any time."

Wonder if they're saying "attempting to enter the jetway", or if they claim they can wander around the gate seats and just start testing.
I have read reports here on FT of exactly that happening. The TSO will approach a traveler, ask, "May I test your drink?", and when given an affirmative, they will wave a Magic Test Strip (TM) over the beverage and move on.

It's the security theater equivalent of a seance, or an excorcism. "The power of Pistole compels you! The power of Pistole compels you! This beverage is CLEAR!"
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:56 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I'm trying to think of a scenario where this sort of testing would be effective.

Either the liquid is explosive and the passenger would refuse to drink it (because the passenger would have to be complicit in order to get it on the plane); or, they're looking for something that will make the pax sick (in which case it would be the fastest incubation period ever and the culprit would clearly be smart enough to get around anything the TSA does).

Would could they possibly find?

If they came to me, I would just walk them back to the vendor and ask for a replacement. I think Starbucks would be sympathetic to, "The TSA thinks you gave me radioactive coffee - can I just get a new one?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.