Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate patdowns and detainment at DEN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TSORon
“Best to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”?
I couldn't agree more.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
. . . In large airports gate screening can take quite a bit of time, so beginning just a bit early is one way of ensuring that the flight is not late for its departure time. . . .
I'm confused. Why would the size of the airport have anything to do with the time requred for gate screening for any particulary flight? Does a 737 contain more passengers at a large airport than at a small one? Does "random selection" function differently depending on airport size? Or do the screeners at large airports just process people more slowly?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I read what was written and filtered the bias and lack of specific knowledge about process. I don’t believe I criticized anything, I only pointed out the factual errors. By what you have written it is obvious to me that you do seriously lack knowledge about what was going on.
Here is the meat of the OP.

Originally Posted by ScatterX
TSA came along for the gate checks. This gate had an area that was segregated for inspections. In this case, they were pulling people out of line for thorough pat-downs. After the pat-downs, they forced people to stay within this segregated area. One person tried to leave and was coerced by TSA to stay withing the inspection area. Since the flight wasn't ready to leave (about 10 min.), these people, IMO, were being detained unlawfully by TSA. FWIW, there was no LEO in sight.
Please highlight the factual errors in my post.

Was it the fact I was in Denver?

How about that TSA was there performing gate checks (note the little "g" and the little "c" with no reference to whatever you might define a gate check to be)?

How about the fact that there was a segregated area?

How about the fact that TSA pulled people out of line and was giving them pat-downs?

How about the fact that they were not allowed to leave after the pat-down?

Everything after that is my opinion.

Please do tell where my bias has colored these events to the point where they are factually inaccurate.

After reading your posts, this is the best I can do to address your superior knowledge of an event you did not witness.

TSA came along for TO DO SOMETHING. This gate had an area that was segregated for inspections. In this case, they were pulling people out of line for thorough BODY RUBBING. After the BODY RUBBING, they WOULD NOT ALLOW people to LEAVE this segregated area. One person tried to leave and was coerced by TSA to stay withing the inspection area. Since the flight wasn't ready to leave (about 10 min.), these people, IMO, were being detained unlawfully by TSA. FWIW, there was no LEO in sight.
Given the obvious mischaracterization of the events...
Again, please let me know how you determined that an event you did not witness is OBVIOUSLY mischaracterized.

You are assuming they are being detained.
Yes, I am assuming they were being detained. That's the point. I base this on the fact that they were told they could not go anywhere and they stayed where they were.

Was anyone holding them in place physically? Was there a threat of some kind to ensure compliance?
I can see where it might precipitate a LEO response, and even more wasted time on your part, but I can’t foresee anything more significant happening.
There was nothing physically holding them and I have no idea if any threat was made or not. IANAL, but neither of these things are necessary for detainment. The threat of calling a LEO is sufficient for me, but YMMV.

Then it was not gate screening.
Really? I called it a gate check, you called it screening. You win the Nobel prize for semantics. Happy?

A 747-400 can carry quite a few people, and it may take more than an hour to board the entire flight. Starting the gate screening a bit early lessens the pressure on the gate agents to meet their designated departure time.
A reasonable assumption. In large airports gate screening can take quite a bit of time, so beginning just a bit early is one way of ensuring that the flight is not late for its departure time. But I have not seen or heard any reports of gate screening causing a flight to be delayed. Many things can cause a flight to become late, and we have specifically designed the program to prevent screening from becoming one of them.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Eye witnesses are notoriously inaccurate, you can ask any police officer about that, or a prosecuting attorney if you like.
OK. Any attorney's or police officers want to answer this question?

Is an eyewitness more or less likely to properly recall an event than a person who did not see it at all.

For the bonus round, how much would you trust the person that did not see the event but insists he has a better understanding of what actually happened?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:53 pm

Is an eyewitness more or less likely to properly recall an event than a person who did not see it at all.

For the bonus round, how much would you trust the person that did not see the event but insists he has a better understanding of what actually happened?
Bolding mine:
Answer: About as far as I can shotput a cheesecake underwater.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by T-the-B
I'm confused. Why would the size of the airport have anything to do with the time requred for gate screening for any particulary flight? Does a 737 contain more passengers at a large airport than at a small one?
I speculate that TSORon is simply alluding to the fact that, while a 737 does not contain more passengers at a large airport than at a small one, a 777 can't usually land at a small airport. Large airports can handle large and small aircraft; small airports can only handle small aircraft.

Gate screening for large aircraft would presumably take longer than gate screening for small aircraft. Hence, the slight mis-statement that screening at larger airports takes longer. It's not the airport, it's the aircraft.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ron's assertion that eyewitness testimony is "notoriously inaccurate" is wrong.

Yes, there can be problems with eyewitness testimony. Yes, this testimony has been shown, through the use of DNA evidence, to result in a significant number of false convictions. Witness or victim recollection is perishable, and has to be handled as such. The accuracy of eyewitness identification depends on several factors, including perception, memory, communication, and candor. Even trained observers - law enforcement officers, for example - can make erroneous identifications in the heat of the moment.

But to suggest that it is "notoriously inaccurate" demonstrates the OP's utter lack of understanding of the criminal justice process. Eyewitness testimony can be a powerful and accurate tool in the prosecutor's tool kit, and when used carefully, is invaluable.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:23 pm

ScatterX, who are you going to believe, someone who wasn't there, or your lyin' eyes?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mauinokaoi
ScatterX, who are you going to believe, someone who wasn't there, or your lyin' eyes?
Since TSORon hasn't returned to explain what I had obviously mischaracterized and grossly misinterpreted about theoretical and hypothetical people, I guess I'll have to go with my eyewitness account, even though it is notoriously unreliable and biased (just ask the unbiased apologist that works for TSA and didn't see the event in the first place ).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:22 am

Since TSORon hasn't returned to explain what I had obviously mischaracterized and grossly misinterpreted about theoretical and hypothetical people, I guess I'll have to go with my eyewitness account, even though it is notoriously unreliable and biased (just ask the unbiased apologist that works for TSA and didn't see the event in the first place ).
As I recall, our resident TSA apologists claimed that Nancy Campbell was groped probably because they missed screening her at the checkpoint, not because it was a random gate search.

Yet here we are when this is being done in spades to many people at the gate. I guess that was more dis-information from those folks. Anything for a temporary advantage. Like calling an eyewitness wrong without any proof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.