Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US on guard against chocolate eggs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:46 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
These are banned in the United States under the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and have never been available in the U.S. The United States is the only country that bans the eggs.

The Wikipedia article is a bit weak on details but can be found here. The link goes to the section on the U.S. ban of the eggs.

CBP press release
As I stated before, I have personally bought them at the BX at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma and MacDill AFB in Florida. Now granted I am sure the store manager didn't know any better when ordering them (they could have come on military transport, which goes through customs but not so much really...).

I've also seen them at import stores in Houston, most likely ordered "illegally" for resale.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:40 pm

Kinder eggs on sale at YUL after CBP!

Was I ever surprised to see Kinder eggs on sale at YUL after CBP preclearance...

This brings up an interesting situation: does CBP have jurisdiction over what items are sold on the "US side" at non-US airports (e.g. where there is preclearance)? I suppose not.

There certainly seems to be no process in place to protect the children from the nefarious chocolate eggs!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by okazon69
Was I ever surprised to see Kinder eggs on sale at YUL after CBP preclearance...

This brings up an interesting situation: does CBP have jurisdiction over what items are sold on the "US side" at non-US airports (e.g. where there is preclearance)? I suppose not.

There certainly seems to be no process in place to protect the children from the nefarious chocolate eggs!
Apparently, the Kinder Egg problem has a solution...lol:

US ban of Kinder eggs cracked at last

Also, reported on here: http://consumerist.com/2013/03/14/no...al-in-the-u-s/
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okazon69

As does YVR

Originally Posted by rwoman
Apparently, the Kinder Egg problem has a solution...lol:

US ban of Kinder eggs cracked at last

Also, reported on here: http://consumerist.com/2013/03/14/no...al-in-the-u-s/
Bah! That seems like a very inferior sort of solution!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by exbayern

Bah! That seems like a very inferior sort of solution!
Agreed...in my 3.5 years of living in Europe, I have yet to see a "Child dies by Kinder Surprise! Egg" incident.

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
According to statistics*, through almost 30 years of Kinder Surprise being on the market, at least six children worldwide have died from choking on the toys. They were ruled out as unfortunate fatalities.
* No source given
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

There were actually at least two children who died in past. But one also has to point out that many children have died over the years after choking on toy parts (along with coins and other small items) http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...114854969.html
On the telephone from Britain, now, is a woman named Glenys Ashton who manages a charity shop called Sense in the city of Birmingham. Twenty-one years ago last November, on Guy Fawkes Night -- "everything was going boom-boom outside" -- Mrs. Ashton's three-year-old daughter Jennifer choked to death on a part of a Pink Panther figurine from a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg.
So there was a tragic side to the "reassuring and emotional experience" as well.
The Ashton family campaigned to have the candies banned in Britain, testified before a committee of Parliament, and argued that the warning label was, to say the least, insufficient because, as Glenys tells me, "every child we know of who died has been thirty-six months or over."
This was true; a boy named Roddy Breslin from Northern Ireland already was three when he choked on the wheel and axle of a tiny truck.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:46 am

In the past, I noticed some mall stalls called "Treats from Europe" or something like that and among other things, they also sell Kinder Chocolate Eggs. Always found it strange as I had read about the ban before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.