Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US on guard against chocolate eggs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by FXWizard
I see the potential for a lucrative smuggling business here...take Kinder Surprise eggs into the US, bring Mountain Dew back into Canada (ours doesn't have caffeine).
What is the point in that?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by fester
Since so many of you believe that Customs should not enforce the ban, should we allow toys from China with lead based paint as well? What's the difference between the toy in the egg and the paint on the toy if neither are supposed to be consumed?
Apples and oranges.

A parent can't tell whether something has lead paint in it or not as it looks the same as regular paint.

With a Kinder egg, I know the size of the egg, and I know that the toy isn't going to be any bigger than the egg. In fact, it's very likely to be a good bit smaller. If I'm not comfortable with the risk, I don't give it to my kid. Pretty simple.

I believe it's the responsibility of the parent to pay attention to what their child is doing, but I also know that we are overly litigious in this country and personal responsibility disappeared a long time ago.
I don't see how Customs could be sued for allowing it into the country. The government doesn't need to protect us from ourselves. Any rational judge would throw suits out like this as frivolous.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
Can still get King Cake.

I think the CPSC means well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the real culprit here is lobbying by Hershey and Mars who can't get Ferrero to let them make the Surprise under license. The reality is that the CPSC finding is not really what they are using. Its the old law on having non-food buried inside food.

1) Its called a baby

2) If you want to alienate the entire Gulf Coast, go ahead and do that.
I meant to write "gift" (as in gift from the 3 kings), not "king." Also, we weren't seriously suggesting king cakes be banned. The point is that this is apparently an inconsistent application of the regulation.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Superguy
A
With a Kinder egg, I know the size of the egg, and I know that the toy isn't going to be any bigger than the egg. In fact, it's very likely to be a good bit smaller. If I'm not comfortable with the risk, I don't give it to my kid. Pretty simple.
^ I fail to see how the small toys in the Kinder eggs are a greater risk than the small toys in a box of Cracker Jacks.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by european28
So how come Chinese restaurants (in the U.S.) are allowed to server fortune cookies?
Originally Posted by N1120A
Can still get King Cake.
Originally Posted by chollie
^ I fail to see how the small toys in the Kinder eggs are a greater risk than the small toys in a box of Cracker Jacks.
Shhh. Y'all are just going to get these added to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's banned list.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Shhh. Y'all are just going to get these added to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's banned list.
Only if they're coming in from outside the country...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Only if they're coming in from outside the country...
Kinder Eggs are linked to Evul Islumist Turrism.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:57 am

Have any of you actually had the eggs? There is a large yellow plastic casing inside the egg. Inside that is the toy. What triggered the ban, IIRC, is that these eggs were being brought into the US and given as gifts to children. A smart parent would check it out before letting the kid eat it. Apparently, we were out of smart parents at the time.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Apples and oranges.

A parent can't tell whether something has lead paint in it or not as it looks the same as regular paint.

I don't see how Customs could be sued for allowing it into the country. The government doesn't need to protect us from ourselves. Any rational judge would throw suits out like this as frivolous.
Really? There have been 100s of frivolous lawsuits that have gone through without a hitch. Are we short rational judges as well? For being anti-big brother, you sure have a lot of faith in our judges.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Have any of you actually had the eggs? There is a large yellow plastic casing inside the egg. Inside that is the toy. What triggered the ban, IIRC, is that these eggs were being brought into the US and given as gifts to children. A smart parent would check it out before letting the kid eat it. Apparently, we were out of smart parents at the time.
Yes, I have received thousands of them in my lifetime. Millions of them have been eaten by children all over the world, including the neighbours to the north of the US. Apparently there are people around the world still intelligent enough to be able to handle an Überraschungsei.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Sure, eaten plenty and lived to tell the tale and brought them into the US without realising they were so dangerous that they were banned, if challenged at customs, wouldnt the best thing to do be to drop or crush the egg then the toy isnt enclosed in the chocolate
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
just buy them on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5zvhynmcnu_b
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
Yes, I have received thousands of them in my lifetime. Millions of them have been eaten by children all over the world, including the neighbours to the north of the US. Apparently there are people around the world still intelligent enough to be able to handle an Überraschungsei.
Same here. I have a box of the toys around here somewhere. I don't agree with the ban, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Pluma
Just think of the children!

So when an American child goes to Canada how can the US Government prevent the health threat posed by this confection?

I guess Cracker Jacks got an exemption, or are kids smart enough not to eat the toy?
Any American parent who'd bring his child to Canada (which obviously hates children) is unfit to be a parent and hates America. I hope the CBP strips such monsters of their parental rights.

( for the sarcasm impaired ).
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:42 am

I've just checked the State Department website - and there's NOTHING about the danger of choking hazards in Canada. I'm going to take this lapse up with my Congresscritter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.