Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US on guard against chocolate eggs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluenotesro
Dear God, will somebody please just shoot me. You gotta be kidding? A 7 page letter? 250$ to store the egg? ...????
Your taxes at work. NOT!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:10 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
while I agree that many in the CBP do lack the skill of critical thought, on this occasion I think you have to give them a pass - they did not outlaw the Kinder Surprise, another agency did and they are enforcing what appears to be a stupid law. But that is what they do, uphold laws written often by other agencies.

You would be happy that they keep anthrax out, but they did not make up the law which prevents that - a stretch I admit, but I will give them a pass on this - albeit a stupid rule/law.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Guess I can't order a King Cake this year.

Sheesh. CPSC is yet another one of those agencies that thinks it needs to protect citizens from their own judgement.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:54 am

I thought Canada was the ultimate nanny state for outlawing the importation of baby walkers. The US, though, wins this round.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I successfully brought a dozen through YVR CBP last year in my carry on. The Canadian toys have been disappointing compared to the Euro versions of 10 years ago.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:28 am

Oh My Aching Head

Will somebody please, please, please make the stupid stop?! It burns!!!

I wonder what those batstuff bonzo freakazoids in the DHS are going to do when they find out you can buy those toys as the commissary and half a dozen different specialty stores? At least - you could last year.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
In the second link, best quote ever:
f you really want to surprise your kids this Easter, you can consider getting them candy and toys separately. Mixing the two, especially when the toy is embedded inside the candy as it is with the Surprise egg, sends a mixed message about what is and isn't edible
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

Sheesh. CPSC is yet another one of those agencies that thinks it needs to protect citizens from their own judgement.
Exactly what I was thinking. Pastries (cakes included) are confectionery, too. Most "kings" I've seen in king cakes are pretty small and could present a choking hazard. Should they be banned, too?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

Can still get King Cake.

I think the CPSC means well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the real culprit here is lobbying by Hershey and Mars who can't get Ferrero to let them make the Surprise under license. The reality is that the CPSC finding is not really what they are using. Its the old law on having non-food buried inside food.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

Exactly what I was thinking. Pastries (cakes included) are confectionery, too. Most "kings" I've seen in king cakes are pretty small and could present a choking hazard. Should they be banned, too?
1) Its called a baby

2) If you want to alienate the entire Gulf Coast, go ahead and do that.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
As a parent, what I find incredibly silly about all this is that any small object can end up where it shouldn't where little kids are involved. Doesn't have to be a toy, although a toy is more likely to have been placed in reach.

So if I have a loose Mickey Mouse button in my bags, would CBP confiscate it? Any tiny figurine? Marbles? A bag of beans? a bag of hard candies or jawbreakers?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

I suppose that by banning small things it gives politicians something to do that's relatively harmless
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by exbayern
http://www.canada.com/life/Kinder+Su...187/story.html

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/saf...nder-eggs.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...9/01092009.xml

Newark, N.J. - U. S. Customs and Border Protection officers working at the Jersey City International Bulk Mail Facility continue to intercept shipments of Kinder chocolates which contain a surprise toy within a plastic capsule. Kinder chocolates are widely sold throughout the U.S. however, this particular candy has been banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission because the toy surprise hidden inside can pose choking and aspiration hazards to children younger than three. The chocolate eggs also violate the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 which prohibits embedding non-food items completely inside food items.
Those were my favorites and my kids love those too.
Each time I return from a trip, the first question out of my kid's mouth is "how many eggs did you bring me?"
Never knew they were banned

...has been banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission because the toy surprise hidden inside can pose choking and aspiration hazards to children younger than three.
ahmm, each individual egg contains warning stating that exact fact "not for children 0-3". What next? will they ban toothpaste because it "could be swallowed by children?

... violate the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 which prohibits embedding non-food items completely inside food items.
So how come Chinese restaurants (in the U.S.) are allowed to server fortune cookies? After all they do contain "non-food item" (fortune printed on a piece of paper) embedded completely inside a food item. Selective enforcement?

What a bunch of bozos...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by alanR
I suppose that by banning small things it gives politicians something to do that's relatively harmless
And the body scanners are just a means to implement that ban of "small things"?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
I wonder what those batstuff bonzo freakazoids in the DHS are going to do when they find out you can buy those toys as the commissary and half a dozen different specialty stores? At least - you could last year.
My German friends and colleagues report that the real war on eggs began Christmas 2009, with packages from Germany opened and Christmas gifts disturbed, to be replaced with a love note similar on the one on one of the links to a blog I posted earlier.

I have been in several German food stores in the US and while I don't always look for eggs, I haven't seen them anywhere I did look over the last year. That includes some of the bigger German food companies in the US which sell over the internet.

In fact, the German Deli shows the items as banned for being hazardous substances http://search.store.yahoo.net/gdcom/...wcatalog=gdcom
In compliance with Section 2(f)(1)(D) of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act (FHSA) Kinder Joy and Kinder Surprise Eggs will no longer be offered at GermanDeli.com
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:44 pm

I see the potential for a lucrative smuggling business here...take Kinder Surprise eggs into the US, bring Mountain Dew back into Canada (ours doesn't have caffeine).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:53 pm

Since so many of you believe that Customs should not enforce the ban, should we allow toys from China with lead based paint as well? What's the difference between the toy in the egg and the paint on the toy if neither are supposed to be consumed?

I believe it's the responsibility of the parent to pay attention to what their child is doing, but I also know that we are overly litigious in this country and personal responsibility disappeared a long time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.