US on guard against chocolate eggs

Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

US on guard against chocolate eggs

It must be Easter season!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-guard-ag...11836-288.html

The United States takes its ban on chocolate eggs with toys inside very seriously, a Canadian woman discovered when she was threatened at the border with a 300-dollar fine over a Kinder Surprise, media said Tuesday
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Did you read any of the comments? Some of them are priceless.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:45 pm

Just think of the children!

So when an American child goes to Canada how can the US Government prevent the health threat posed by this confection?

I guess Cracker Jacks got an exemption, or are kids smart enough not to eat the toy?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:45 pm

Ah ha! This article finally explains what happened to me last year at the SFO airport port-of-entry. I always declare any food items at customs and on this trip we brought back a good sized chocolate Easter egg that the Hilton Rome Cavalieri gave us.

We got tagged for a secondary and the inspector zeroed in on the chocolate egg. He said he had to run it through the x-ray to make sure it was empty. Which it was. He then gave us back the egg and I asked him what he was looking for (I'm thinking drugs). He explained they look for small toys that can be a choking hazard for children. I thought that was a little strange at the time.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:33 pm

Kudos to border patrol for taking steps to protect not only our nation's children, but Canadian children visiting our country. Can you imagine what might happen if we left decisions about Kinder surprise eggs up to parents?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:36 pm

I think the Kinder Surprise eggs have to come with a fruit or vegetable in order for it to include a toy as well.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:43 pm

Would anyone like to bet on this? Take the toy OUT of the chocolate egg and the border guards would NOT have a problem with either the chocolate OR the small toy.

They are following the book... They might not know what a Nexus card is... But a toy in chocolate? That's it, up against the wall you nefarious smuggler!

Very soon the average IQ is going to be 50
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:45 pm

Thank god we have warriors to protect us against the terror eggs.
/s
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:46 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exbayern
Really? There are US websites you can buy these at. I brought some back from Europe last time I was there. I understand they are illegal to sell, but where is there an actual ban on having them in your possession?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Really? There are US websites you can buy these at. I brought some back from Europe last time I was there. I understand they are illegal to sell, but where is there an actual ban on having them in your possession?
http://www.canada.com/life/Kinder+Su...187/story.html

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/saf...nder-eggs.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...9/01092009.xml

Newark, N.J. - U. S. Customs and Border Protection officers working at the Jersey City International Bulk Mail Facility continue to intercept shipments of Kinder chocolates which contain a surprise toy within a plastic capsule. Kinder chocolates are widely sold throughout the U.S. however, this particular candy has been banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission because the toy surprise hidden inside can pose choking and aspiration hazards to children younger than three. The chocolate eggs also violate the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 which prohibits embedding non-food items completely inside food items.

One of CBPs roles as the unified border agency is to protect American children from these potentially dangerous toys, stated Robert E. Perez, CBP Director of Field Operations
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Big

I asked my friend to bring one for my kid when he came from Germany as my son's gotten them from past trips from me and friends. Had no idea they were banned. He balked and said they were banned. I was dumbfounded.

Completely idiotic.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Those were my favourite when I was young.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Would anyone like to bet on this? Take the toy OUT of the chocolate egg and the border guards would NOT have a problem with either the chocolate OR the small toy.

They are following the book... They might not know what a Nexus card is... But a toy in chocolate? That's it, up against the wall you nefarious smuggler!

Very soon the average IQ is going to be 50
I think you ate confusing TSA and US customs.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by venice4504
Did you read any of the comments? Some of them are priceless.
I like this part of the article:

While it may seem trivial to some, US authorities followed up with a seven-page letter asking Bird to formally authorize the destruction of her seized Kinder egg, she told CBC.

"I thought it was a joke. I had to read it twice. But they are serious," she said.

The letter reportedly stated if Bird wished to contest the seizure, she would have to pay a minimum 250 dollars for it to be stored as the two sides squabbled over the egg
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pluma
Just think of the children!

So when an American child goes to Canada how can the US Government prevent the health threat posed by this confection?

I guess Cracker Jacks got an exemption, or are kids smart enough not to eat the toy?
These days the "toy" consists of a lame puzzle or picture on some weak cardboard-like substance. None of the neat things we got as kids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.