ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by andymo99
I think this is called "transgender," no?
Transgender refers to those who have surgically changed their sex and are legally male/female afterwards.

A transvestite wears clothing of the opposite sex.
A transexual is a male with artificial or otherwise enhanced breasts.
(I think, not really my thing).

I don't know how the TSA intends to implement supergropes with the last two categories. Some mightily surprised screeners ahead .
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Transgender refers to those who have surgically changed their sex and are legally male/female afterwards.
No, not necessarily. Transgender refers to people who want to be known by a different gender than that of their birth. Transsexuals are more likely to have been surgically changed, but there are disagreements on usage of the word.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Angry

I just cleared skewrity at MCI a few moments ago. While reassembling my gear, I noticed the enhanced patdown being conducted by the MCI FirstLine agents. I thought that TSA said it was limited to BOS & LAS?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I just cleared skewrity at MCI a few moments ago. While reassembling my gear, I noticed the enhanced patdown being conducted by the MCI FirstLine agents. I thought that TSA said it was limited to BOS & LAS?
There have been multiple reports on here of people receiving the "enhanced patdown" at more than just BOS/LAS for the past couple of weeks.

When was the last time you knew TSA to be completely honest with their plans?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
So let me get this straight. I am a Federal Law Enforcement Agent who spent months at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center learning the exact laws that regulate my powers to reasonable search and seizure. My Agency has Body Scanners in select locations and very strict rules for using them (even though we have the broadest authority by law to search people). In fact we can only legally use them when a suspect consents to the machine.

Yet here we have an Agency that is not Federal Law Enforcement, does not have nearly the training or search authority that I have and they get to use it on any person they see and basically hassle people if they opt out (A pat down with no articuable reason why you are doing it is hassling. And NO, the person not wanting to be photographed essentially naked is not an articuable fact). I have seen these machines in use and while not photo quality, I would hardly call the images grainy as TSA is saying.

Furthermore, what about my young daughters? Are we going to have adults looking at their essentially nude images? Illegal last time I checked, and I should know, I have arrested child molesters. Or are my daughters going to be subjected to a pat down every time they fly until they are 18? This policy is ridiculous and TSA has it backwards. The body scans should be an option for people who consent to it in order to not have to wait in the metal detector line or for people who set off the metal detector but don't want to be patted down they can select a body scan.
Dave42 from Seattle, WA
posted on The Seattle Times

Nice post!^
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Dave42 from Seattle, WA

Nice post!^
WTG Dave42!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Wimpie
Dave42 from Seattle, WA
LTTE or comment on article or ??? Would love to fwd the link to a friend of mine if I/you can find it.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The FAIL is oozing into flyover country.

Originally Posted by essxjay
LTTE or comment on article or ??? Would love to fwd the link to a friend of mine if I/you can find it.
I'd like to let Dave42 know about the new Nude-O-Scope site.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Flying out of SFO yesterday I saw someone getting the pat down, it was shocking the guy was all up in the dudes junk. so despite what they said its happening in other airports.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:47 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Here is a report from the battlefield...

I flew out of BOS Terminal A this past Monday morning. As per usual, I refused the nude x-ray machine. I do so not because of privacy or health concerns, but because the nude machines require that you don't see your carryon bags for too long a time for my comfort.

I've gone through the "opt out" patdown many times before. When I went through on Monday, I had not heard any news of the "enhanced" patdown. In fact, the first I learned of it was tonight.

That said, the patdown that I endured on Monday was so drastically different from all the prior ones that I took a comment card and filled it out (returning it when I got back to BOS Terminal A yesterday). My comments on the card roughly went like this:

As per usual, I refused to use the expensive "nude-o-meter" machine today, because doing so requires my carryon bags to be out of my sight for too long a time for my comfort. I am used to the "opt out" patdown, but today's experience was far different from the one that I experience roughly once per week. I am not sure if the protocol has changed from prior weeks, but my patdown today by Mr. Beverly featured a full-on cupping of the testes. In my future patdowns, should I expect a cupping of the testes to be part of the routine, or was this just Mr. Beverly's creative interpretation of the protocol? Please let me know so that I can manage my expectations.

Above is not verbatim, as I turned in my card yesterday with no idea that this discussion existed. However, I can say with certainty that "cupping of testes" appeared as written.

I have not received a reply yet, but I gave my email and phone number and made clear that one was expected.

Now that I read this, I will be much better prepared for the patdown. I am going to insist that the Officer explicitly acknowledge that he will be touching my twig and berries before he proceeds.

***Further interesting thought: It might be really fun and interesting to stimulate oneself to a markedly aroused state (in the bathroom) immediately before going through the screening. Once adequately excited, shove all the junk back in there and then see what the TSO finds when he does his thorough search.***

I'm flying out of BOS tomorrow (Earl permitting), but from Terminal E. Not sure if they have the nude machines. If so, could be interesting.

Here is a battlefield update from BOS Terminal E, which is mostly international flights:

I am flying with my wife. We entered a line and were indeed pointed to the nudie screeners. My wife was lined up to go through when I reminded her that she might want to see what I explained to her from earlier in the week. She was tempted to switch but just went through the nudie thing instead.

I stepped up and had my usual maddening conversation with the TSA agent.

Agent: Go ahead through sir.
Andymo99: I can't raise my hands above my head.
Agent: [Quizzical look]
Andymo99: That's a lie, but I'm not going through.
Agent: Sir, you have to...
Andymo99: I opt out.
Agent: Oh, ok. Step aside and wait for the...

[Funny how I always have to use the magic words "opt out."]

So I went for my patdown with my wife watching on from ~15 feet away, amused that she'd get to see my promised antics when the groping ensued.

The agent did the patdown, and it was old-school! I didn't get so much us a tug or a rub or an incidental brush! I felt so humiliated! Was I not hot enough for the guy?!

So when it ended, I said to him incredulously, "Is that it!?" He affirmed that it was, and so I exclaimed to my wife in a loud voice for all to hear, with all the faux enthusiasm I could muster, "He didn't cup my balls like the guy ealrier this week!"

A few people (including several agents) stopped in their tracks and were a bit speechless. By way of explanation, I turned to my agent and with continued incredulousness in my voice said (still loud enough for others to hear), "Over at Terminal A, the agent cupped my balls earlier this week. This was very different."

The agent then explained, "Oh, we don't do that over here."

I said, "Oh, are there different protocols from Terminal A vs. Terminal E."

He said, "Yes. We haven't rolled that out yet."

I said, "Weird... what with the international flights coming in/out of this terminal, I'd think we'd get the full monty here first..."

And that was the end of it. As I gathered my belongings, another agent (a woman) walked past me and muttered under her breath "awesome language." Too bad she didn't have the balls to say it to my face. Regretfully, I let her comment past w/o response.

Will be out of country for several weeks, so no more reports 'til end of month. Until then...

Last edited by andymo99; Sep 6, 2010 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:17 pm

Can't wait till they "roll it out". The howls promise to be deafening.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Talking

By way of explanation, I turned to my agent and with continued incredulousness in my voice said (still loud enough for others to hear), "Over at Terminal A, the agent cupped my balls earlier this week. This was very different."

The agent then explained, "Oh, we don't do that over hear."

I said, "Oh, are there different protocols from Terminal A vs. Terminal E."

He said, "Yes. We haven't rolled that out yet."
"Some terminal screeners grab your junk. Some terminal screeners don't. Each terminal screener is different."
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:46 pm

Maybe they just sent out a memo saying "If you want to grab a guy's balls, roll it out at your station. If you can't stand coming to work if we require you to grab them, well, your station hasn't rolled it out. Grabbing optional". Wow, that oughta make you feel better when you get grabbed. Whoever is doing it is into scrota.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by N965VJ
"Some terminal screeners grab your junk. Some terminal screeners don't. Each terminal screener is different."
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:02 pm

That's very funny!!! Those commercials just hang around till life makes them into a joke.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.