Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mikeef
Patting down a boarding pass? What, pray tell, was he expecting to find?
I once had them patting down my BlackBerry as it was my mobile boarding pass at the exact moment I received a call and when the phone started ringing, I shouted with fake-concern "what did you do to it" ? Which scared him enough to quickly give me back my phone and flee the area. I guess they don't understand electronics.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Patting down a boarding pass? What, pray tell, was he expecting to find? I know, I know...

Mike
Years ago at YYZ they wanded my BP
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:39 pm

My last DYWFT reply..."do you want to still have a job tomorrow?"

Yeah, they don't like that one. I really need better material. I do like a reply I've seen here that goes, "get me your TSM and a LEO and have them clarify exactly why I won't be able to fly today."
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
My last DYWFT reply..."do you want to still have a job tomorrow?"

Yeah, they don't like that one. I really need better material. I do like a reply I've seen here that goes, "get me your TSM and a LEO and have them clarify exactly why I won't be able to fly today."
I don't know why, but in my mind, the most logical response to DYW2FT is "Do you want to lose your job today?" Except that it's an empty threat; getting a TSO fired is darn near impossible unless they actually commit a crime on the job. And even then...

I'm curious, though - what exactly was the reaction to your reply? Anger? Retaliation?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't know why, but in my mind, the most logical response to DYW2FT is "Do you want to lose your job today?" Except that it's an empty threat; getting a TSO fired is darn near impossible unless they actually commit a crime on the job. And even then...

I'm curious, though - what exactly was the reaction to your reply? Anger? Retaliation?
It was anger. They repeated the DYW2FT mantra and I said, look, don't even go there, seriously don't go there or you're going to need to call your union rep, so just stop right now. They didn't like it, but it did stop the DYW2FT routine.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I had a successful rotator-cuff opt out this morning. I got in the body scanner, was told to raise my arms, told them I couldn't raise my right arm due to a rotator cuff injury. They opened up the metal detector for me only and I went on my way.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
8/12 SNA the checkpoint by the Delta gates.

6 people ahead of me, including a family. The gate to the WTMD was opened for the family, then closed. Everyone else was directed to the nude-o-scope. I put my stuff on the belt, but did not allow them to go through until it was my time in the "fish barrel". I said right away that I choose to opt out. No fuss made, a call for the "female assist" made in a normal voice, not yelled or barked. Asked to step through a gate to the other side. A female TSO came up to me quickly. She asked me to point out my belongings and she said she would gather them and take them with us. We walked over to their frisking area. She set my bags on a table next to where we would be doing the frisk. I was able to see my belongings the entire procedure - they were maybe a foot away. I was using my cane, so she offered me a seat while she was getting ready. She told me she was changing gloves and I did see her go get them from the box and she changed them in front of me. She did the spiel of what she was going to do. She actually had a very light touch, probably the lightest I've ever had in all my opt-outs. She went nowhere near my "resistance" (yes, she said that word), probably only halfway up my thighs. No rustling of my hair, and she allowed me to put my arms down as much as I needed (another rotator cuff victim). She took the gloves to the machine for checking and I was on my way. They did no checking of my bags.
For an opt-out and grope, all things considered, as much as I hate having to go through that process, it was tolerable and no theatrics from the TSOs. It would have been better there was a SDOO option, but with the WTMD only offered to families...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I once had them patting down my BlackBerry as it was my mobile boarding pass at the exact moment I received a call and when the phone started ringing, I shouted with fake-concern "what did you do to it" ? Which scared him enough to quickly give me back my phone and flee the area. I guess they don't understand electronics.
That amuses me.

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At DEN just tried the "can't raise arms, surgery" line - was walked through the WTMD with no fuss or muss and on my way. No patdown either.
As I stated in Post 2872, on the morning of August 12th, I received the full pat-down at DEN while not alarming the WTMD after I said I was a medical.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
As I stated in Post 2872, on the morning of August 12th, I received the full pat-down at DEN while not alarming the WTMD after I said I was a medical.
In that pat down, did they try to get you to raise your injured arms?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I get this every single time (full grope) because I'm physically unable to assume and hold the position.

Most recently, in PHX T2. This time there was a slight twist - I explained that I couldn't assume the position, got told (again) that it meant I was an opt-out, extensive patdown, private parts, might have to wait a while, bla-bla. Then the TSO demanded that I demonstrate how close I could come to the position (?). I did and got sent to wait for my grope (one of the nastiest ever).

I can navigate the WTMD without a problem. I can't properly assume the position they want for the grope either, but I've never gotten too much flak about that, presumably because they have to accept that pax in wheelchairs can't assume position either. Some TSOs don't get that either - a stroke victim friend recently got a TSO who didn't seem to understand that one half of the body doesn't respond. She kept telling my friend (louder each time, as if that would help) to raise her arm or move her leg -my poor friend, believe me, she would like nothing more than to be able to move that arm and leg like she used to. And her hearing is fine.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Some TSOs don't get that either - a stroke victim friend recently got a TSO who didn't seem to understand that one half of the body doesn't respond. She kept telling my friend (louder each time, as if that would help) to raise her arm or move her leg -my poor friend, believe me, she would like nothing more than to be able to move that arm and leg like she used to. And her hearing is fine.
If they were remotely capable of "getting it," they wouldn't be working for the TSA.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
In that pat down, did they try to get you to raise your injured arms?
I have a different reason for "ineligible".

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Three Striper: That is correct. If he is ineligible, then let him through the WTMD. He'll only get a pat-down if he alarms.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
At DEN just tried the "can't raise arms, surgery" line - was walked through the WTMD with no fuss or muss and on my way. No patdown either.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
^

Tried it for the first time at RDU. Worked like a charm. Too bad the rest of the sheeple were marching right through the NoS
So how did you originally find out about the "ineligible" screening procedures and are they documented anywhere, because this was my exchange the last two days with the TSA:

My initial request:

On August 12th at approximately 4:30 am, I was directed to the body scanner at DEN. When I told the TSO that I was ineligible (i.e., I was not an "opt-out"), I was directed to the WTMD, which I did not alarm. Thereafter the TSO required a full and complete pat-down with a residue test of the TSO's gloves. I asked several times of the TSO as to the proper procedure if a person is ineligible, and he told me there was no difference - all had to receive the full pat-down and residue test. That is contrary to my understanding and, in fact, contrary to another person's experience at DEN just four days later who can't raise his arms.

My understanding is that if you are ineligible, then you go through the WTMD. If you alarm, then the alarm is resolved. If you don't, then you are clear to proceed. If you are an opt-out, then you do not go through the WTMD, but you are patted down and the gloves go through the residue test before you are cleared to proceed.

This discrepancy provides angst in traversing the screening checkpoint. As such, I would appreciate immediate clarification on the proper procedure generally applicable to this situation.
I received a response from the TSA and thereafter pointed out that the received response was non-responsive and I had preemptively addressed what the response raised. So this was the TSA response:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) does not discuss or release specific security procedures.

This information is developed exclusively for TSA personnel and is considered Sensitive Security Information (SSI). TSA cannot release SSI to the public because it is considered detrimental to the security of transportation.
So I would like know any information about this issue that has been gleaned.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have a different reason for "ineligible".

So how did you originally find out about the "ineligible" screening procedures and are they documented anywhere, because this was my exchange the last two days with the TSA:

My initial request:

I received a response from the TSA and thereafter pointed out that the received response was non-responsive and I had preemptively addressed what the response raised. So this was the TSA response:

So I would like know any information about this issue that has been gleaned.
The first time I heard the term "ineligible", was when I had to argue with the clerk at the SAN commuter terminal. One of the clerks working TDC said "ineligible" when referencing a medical issue.

I'm going to guess that they've got some sort of documentation about it, or else the clerks would always deny the medical exemption.

As far as emailing TSA, they're not going to provide any assistance.. Those people likely could not tell you what TSA stands for, had you asked that in your email.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
No excuse needed. I usually think of my best lines 30 minutes after whatever encounter occurred.

Maybe others have better responses. That "Do you wanna fly?" shtick must be in the training manual. It manages to be simultaneously infuriating and really really lame (as the young 'uns used to say).
If it were in the training manual they wouldn't have a clue. It's clearly word of mouth (probably while they're gabbing while blocking the WTMD in front of the nude-o-scope).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.