Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:43 pm

Frisk vs. strip search? I'll avoid both and take a bus or a train.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Phil will you take the WBI or Opt Out?
Given the choice between a strip search (i.e., someone searching me by looking under my clothing) or being frisked, I'll always choose to be frisked.

However, I'll almost certainly take a bus or a train to Albuquerque next month. Two days of such in each direction is not appealing, but neither is submitting to the frisk or the strip search.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:49 pm

Update from the Identity Project

http://papersplease.org/wp/2010/11/2...eckpoint-case/
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is it an 'update'?

-------------------------------------

Will there be cameras in the courtroom?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Will there be cameras in the courtroom?
The rules for cameras in New Mexico courts are at pp. 73-75 of this report:

http://www.nmbar.org/Public/publicpu...ediaIssues.pdf

"The media is authorized, by New Mexico Supreme Court rule and case law, to broadcast, televise, photograph and record court proceedings in the District and Metropolitan Courts of the State of New Mexico. Under the New Mexico Supreme Court’s Rule 23-107 NMRA, cameras and recording devices are allowed in the courtroom as long as they comply with the guidelines set forth in the Rule. In addition, the media coverage must not “detract from the dignity of the court proceedings” or interfere with a fair and impartial hearing....

In addition, Rule 23-107 NMRA states that media coverage is subject to a judge’s authority to ensure decorum and the fair administration of justice. The judge has the discretion to exclude coverage of certain witnesses, such as victims of sex crimes, police informants and juveniles. In addition, the rule dictates that neither members of the jury nor the jury selection process may be photographed. Broadcasting, photographing or recording of conferences between members of the court, court and counsel, co-counsel or
counsel and clients is also not permitted."

If you plan to attend and film, photograph, or record as a member of the media, you must advise the Court in advance:

http://www.metrocourt.state.nm.us/xn...edia&file=info

"The Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court welcomes news coverage. However, cameras are not allowed in the courthouse or in courtrooms without the permission of the judge. Please call the Communications, Information and Public Outreach Director (505-841-9897) for clearance 24 hours in advance or as soon as practicable. Courthouse Security will not allow cameras or other audio or video recorders in without prior clearance. The court follows the guidelines laid down in New Mexico Supreme Court Rule 23-107 (2006) regarding the recording of court proceedings."
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:31 am

jury selection: 30 minutes

My attorney estimates that jury selection will only take 30 minutes. She says it's very limited in Metro Court.

Trial date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 9:00 a.m.
Court: Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court
Case number: CR 25737/09 (For details, go to the court's search page, complete the CAPTCHA, then search for criminal case 2573709)
Judge: Kevin L. Fitzwater
Prosecutor: ?
Defense attorneys: Nancy Hollander, Molly Schmidt-Nowara
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
FAQ: (from the Identity Project) http://papersplease.org/wp/mocek/
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:38 am

Keep up the good work! Thanks for the update.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Maximum time to set an example

For those who want to contact the judge or DA to prosecute to the full extent of the law:

The judge:
Judicial Division 02
Fitzwater, Kevin L. - Judge
Trujillo, Luisa - TCAA
Courtroom 600 505-841-8281 fax: 505-222-4802

or DA:
Kari Brandenburg, and three Chief Deputy District Attorneys, Deborah DePalo, Gary Cade and Mark Drebing,
Main Office
Steve Schiff Building
520 Lomas Blvd NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102
(505) 841-7100
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:43 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by meisterau
For those who want to contact the judge or DA to prosecute to the full extent of the law:

The judge:
Judicial Division 02
Fitzwater, Kevin L. - Judge
Trujillo, Luisa - TCAA
Courtroom 600 505-841-8281 fax: 505-222-4802

or DA:
Kari Brandenburg, and three Chief Deputy District Attorneys, Deborah DePalo, Gary Cade and Mark Drebing,
Main Office
Steve Schiff Building
520 Lomas Blvd NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102
(505) 841-7100
Thanks, I already donated $100 dollars to the city of Albuquerque to help defray costs of prosecuting this case. Hopefully others will also. I will give them a call and voice support.

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
My attorney estimates that jury selection will only take 30 minutes. She says it's very limited in Metro Court.
Will there me any pre-trial motions heard that morning?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:15 pm

Any chance you can claim they got the wrong guy? Apparently they're prosecuting someone named "Phillip Mosack". I'd tell them they need to find this Mr. Mosack and throw the book at him.

Good luck.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yeah, good luck to Mr. Mocek during on the trials. If you wins the case against ABQ police department. Surely, I hope so for his sake. I want to hear those stories about his behaviors at airport.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by pmocek
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
What's the odds that a jury-trial will convict on these charges, and what's the burden-of-proof for these charges? I haven't read the entire thread, so I can't use the thread to take apart the charges, yet just started with #4: how can you trespass, unless you're told to leave and don't, or told not to come back and do?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon
What's the odds that a jury-trial will convict on these charges, and what's the burden-of-proof for these charges? I haven't read the entire thread, so I can't use the thread to take apart the charges, yet just started with #4: how can you trespass, unless you're told to leave and don't, or told not to come back and do?
The burden of proof with respect to any criminal charge always lies with the state, and the standard of proof is, "beyond a reasonable doubt."
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
You can trespass if a reasonable person would know that they are no longer welcome in that location.

I know a man in Houston that was convicted of "attempted trespass". I am still trying to wrap my head around that one.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by meisterau
For those who want to contact the judge
Why is this suggested? To cause a mistrial?

People accused of crimes in the US have a right to be tried in front of an impartial judge and jury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.