Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Would the defendant be privy to that information?
Yes, if the court gave the reason. It would just be info in the record.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:14 pm

Any idea why the first judge recused themself?
None that wasn't discussed previously.

I'm all for transparency, but my freedom is on the line, here. If I had any inside information, it would be foolish of me to share it.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek

I'm all for transparency, but my freedom is on the line, here. If I had any inside information, it would be foolish of me to share it.
Phil, I am certainly not asking for any privileged information. Was just curious if the first judge had given a public reason for stepping down.

To be quiet honest I am surprised this deal has taken as long as it has.

Not being a lawyer I don't know or fully understand the merits of this case but from what I do understand I see no crime committed.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Looking at the court's website, it shows a trial date of December 7. Hopefully it won't be delayed again and we can make some progress in the courts against the TSA's ID policies.
Gosh! I hope not. Lets find out if the trials dates is subject to changes without notice. Just try to be more patience for awhile unless pmocek will let you know soon as possible.

I have nothing new to report since September, when the case was reassigned to a different prosecutor and the trial rescheduled for December.
Are you still planned go to the court? Let me know if you hear from your attorney had to says. I am concerning about your trials date will kept those date.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:32 pm

I am certainly not asking for any privileged information. Was just curious if the first judge had given a public reason for stepping down.
Understood. I didn't mean to direct the second part of my response at you, BD, but in retrospect I see that it was unclear. I meant only to let you know that I didn't have anything to report (providing a link back to previous discussion) and to address any general concern that I might be holding back information for some nefarious purpose.

I'd love to tell anyone who'll listen everything I know about this situation, but people who understand the law better than I do say that it's a bad idea for a criminal defendant to talk about his case before it goes to court, and I'm not going to second-guess them. I'm comfortable pointing to or repeating public information that people could find for themselves, but that's as far as it goes. Anything else I might be able to report would come from, what, my personal experience or discussions with my attorney? I'll stay on the safe side and keep any of that to myself.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, inside information. Something on the record isn't inside information.

I'm comfortable pointing to or repeating public information that people could find for themselves, but that's as far as it goes.
If the judge gave the reason, then it is in the record and is public information-- it is not "inside" information.

Anything else I might be able to report would come from, what, my personal experience or discussions with my attorney? I'll stay on the safe side and keep any of that to myself.
If your attorney told you that the sky is blue, would you keep that to yourself as inside information? Point: not everything your attorney tells you is inside information and much of it is available to the public. If you want to be on the "safe" side and not share anything that you didn't personally obtain from public records, that is fine. But you shouldn't pretend that all other information is inside information and not public just because it came from your attorney. That seems to be what's going on here.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:54 pm

We're going to court in Albuquerque on Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Although the court's Web site still shows the case status as "not docketed", it's my and my attorney's understanding that jury selection for my trial will begin on Tuesday, December 7, 2010. I'm making firm travel arrangements.

Trial date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 9:00 a.m.
Court: Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court
Case number: CR 25737/09 (For details, go to the court's search page, complete the CAPTCHA, then search for criminal case 2573709)
Judge: Kevin L. Fitzwater
Prosecutor: ?
Defense attorneys: Nancy Hollander, Molly Schmidt-Nowara
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
FAQ: (from the Identity Project) http://papersplease.org/wp/mocek/
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck, Phil. We're all rooting for you. ^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Prefect timing with this case - hopefully the jury pool will include a bunch of folks who've been x-rayed and groped recently at the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Tres interesting timing, indeed. Good luck, Phil. :-:
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Good luck, Phil.
He'll need it.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
December 7th, a day that will live in infamy.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Prefect timing with this case - hopefully the jury pool will include a bunch of folks who've been x-rayed and groped recently at the airport.
That may not necessarily be a good thing ... the "anything for security" contingent would be proud of having been screened that way ...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phil will you take the WBI or Opt Out?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phil will you take the WBI or Opt Out?
We'll see if he can make it there without getting arrested going through security this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.