Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polonius
Is this what society has come to? The point where "rights" need to put in quotes, since they don't really exist? And of course, asserting them is "making a scene"?
Based on Phil's posts here and what I heard on the audio tape, I am inclined to believe that he made a scene. That doesn't mean the cops were right, just that he made a scene when he disobeyed their orders (i.e. he fought out the issue on the street). As far as "rights", that simply means that what the courts consider his rights and what Phil considers his rights don't always seem to match up.

Originally Posted by polonius
Anyway, would love to hear your suggestions for alternate means for getting the courts to address this issue -- are you honestly ignorant enough to believe that if he had been polite, co-operative, and deferential, that he could have still pushed this issue into the court system? Your whole post seems to originate from a parallel universe in which cops don't overstep their bounds and courts are willing to accept cases based on what didn't happen.
Its called a civil lawsuit; you don't have to get arrested to go to court. Look how many things have been changed through 42 USC 1983 actions. There is a very long list. Very long.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wildcatlh
If you want to challenge the constitutionality of a law, you pretty much have to get arrested for violating it first.
Is that what is in play here? Which of these charges do you think are unconstitutional?

Originally Posted by pmocek
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
I think I've been quite liberal in my discussion of public information. I'm not going to talk here about discussions with my attorney.
No one's asking you to. But are the reasons for the delays not a part of the court record?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Ari
Based on Phil's posts here and what I heard on the audio tape, I am inclined to believe that he made a scene. That doesn't mean the cops were right, just that he made a scene when he disobeyed their orders (i.e. he fought out the issue on the street). As far as "rights", that simply means that what the courts consider his rights and what Phil considers his rights don't always seem to match up.
Since the court hasn't even heard the case yet, just postponed it a number of times, any claims about "what the court considers" are, at best, premature. We'll know what the court considers when it tells us (and what it should consider when the appeals finish).

My guess is that they'll piss around for a while, then offer to settle by dropping all charges in return for an agreement not to sue. It's obviously Phil's decision how to act; my recommendation would be to insist on a written apology in addition (and, better, more training of the police in the law and people's rights).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Since the court hasn't even heard the case yet, just postponed it a number of times, any claims about "what the court considers" are, at best, premature. We'll know what the court considers when it tells us (and what it should consider when the appeals finish).

My guess is that they'll piss around for a while, then offer to settle by dropping all charges in return for an agreement not to sue. It's obviously Phil's decision how to act; my recommendation would be to insist on a written apology in addition (and, better, more training of the police in the law and people's rights).
Regardless of how this turns out under New Mexico law what if any change will be forced on TSA's ID policies?

I'm thinking none from this case.

So even if Phil wins the case what good will it have done?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Regardless of how this turns out under New Mexico law what if any change will be forced on TSA's ID policies?

Disclaimer: I'm sure that I don't know what I'm talking about, from a legal or statutory perspective.

But a win for Phil in this case would establish that TSOs can't summon LEOs to arrest a passenger for ... well, whatever it is that the prosecution claims Phil did. (Well, they could, but the LEO wouldn't comply.)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Disclaimer: I'm sure that I don't know what I'm talking about, from a legal or statutory perspective.

But a win for Phil in this case would establish that TSOs can't summon LEOs to arrest a passenger for ... well, whatever it is that the prosecution claims Phil did. (Well, they could, but the LEO wouldn't comply.)
It will do nothing to TSA whatsoever. The only thing TSA has to do with this is that they called the police to respond. Everything that he was charged with happened after the police arrived at the scene. The laws that the state are alleging that he violated are state and local laws not federal. That is really the problem here. He entered this encounter knowing what TSA could do and what he was entitled to do and not do within TSA policy. What it appears he didn't understand was the state and local laws and that the local airport police had the will and ability to enforce them.

FB
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I said "courts", not court-- as in what higher courts have ruled over the years vis-a-vis rights and powers. What this court says (by the way, I believe the jury will be the finder of fact) in this case will have little to do with rights; it will just tell us if 12 people think Phil is guilty of that with which he is charged beyond a reasonable doubt.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Zip. It is a fool's erand. Compare with Bierfeldt and George which actually had/have a chance of changing things. I doubt Phil would prevail in a civil rights lawsuit though I do think these cops need to be put in their place.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Ari
I said "courts", not court-- as in what higher courts have ruled over the years vis-a-vis rights and powers. What this court says (by the way, I believe the jury will be the finder of fact) in this case will have little to do with rights; it will just tell us if 12 people think Phil is guilty of that with which he is charged beyond a reasonable doubt.
Whatever if he found not guilty of his charges and they will eventually to dropped all of his charges against Mr. Phil. He will walk away from the courts. Let's find out soon enough on December 2010. He will wins the case against ABQ police department.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Ari

Its called a civil lawsuit; you don't have to get arrested to go to court. Look how many things have been changed through 42 USC 1983 actions. There is a very long list. Very long.
But again, without some sort of harm occurring, how do you get it in front of a court, regardless of it being civil or criminal? Without harm, you have no standing to file a suit.

Realistically, a lot of those charges could have been brought against Bierfeldt too as he was "uncooperative" with TSA and the law.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari

Zip. It is a fool's erand. Compare with Bierfeldt and George which actually had/have a chance of changing things. I doubt Phil would prevail in a civil rights lawsuit though I do think these cops need to be put in their place.
It was my thinking that Phil wanted to challenge the TSA requirement to present ID, and I agree I think he missed the target.

What I do think is happening is that Phil is running up a legal bill that he and his supporters will end up paying for no gain.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
But again, without some sort of harm occurring, how do you get it in front of a court, regardless of it being civil or criminal? Without harm, you have no standing to file a suit.

Realistically, a lot of those charges could have been brought against Bierfeldt too as he was "uncooperative" with TSA and the law.
Gilmore had standing; he didn't have to piss off a bunch of cops to get it.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Gilmore had standing; he didn't have to piss off a bunch of cops to get it.
No, but he had to be denied his right to travel. There has to be harm.

Besides, pissing off cops shouldn't be a crime (well, it isn't, but, as in this case, contempt of cop is one of the worst things you can do, apparently). It should be the duty of every American citizen.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Besides, pissing off cops shouldn't be a crime (well, it isn't, but, as in this case, contempt of cop is one of the worst things you can do, apparently). It should be the duty of every American citizen.
And can be quite lucrative, since the pissed-off cop doesn't have to pay out of pocket. Thus he has no incentive to change his ways. A cop that has to cough it up is a "Man Bites Dog" story. The last I heard of was a year ago, when a cop arrested a Fire Captain for not moving his firetruck on the cop's order (said firetruck was at the time creating a traffic break for rescuers at an accident).

This is why I laugh when I read or hear someone say that a wronged person has remedies via 42 USC 1983. Yes, that individual will get some cash. But MY metric is not the amount of money paid out, but the subsequent actions of the LEO or agency in question. Photography in Lower Manhattan is an excellent example -- over 100K paid out total, and cops are still arresting people with cameras. That does not meet my definition of "meaningful recourse" and plays a major role in my advocacy of harsh remedies for these morons.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but he had to be denied his right to travel.
Phil couldn't have done that?

Originally Posted by n4zhg
And can be quite lucrative, since the pissed-off cop doesn't have to pay out of pocket. Thus he has no incentive to change his ways. A cop that has to cough it up is a "Man Bites Dog" story. The last I heard of was a year ago, when a cop arrested a Fire Captain for not moving his firetruck on the cop's order (said firetruck was at the time creating a traffic break for rescuers at an accident).

This is why I laugh when I read or hear someone say that a wronged person has remedies via 42 USC 1983. Yes, that individual will get some cash. But MY metric is not the amount of money paid out, but the subsequent actions of the LEO or agency in question. Photography in Lower Manhattan is an excellent example -- over 100K paid out total, and cops are still arresting people with cameras. That does not meet my definition of "meaningful recourse" and plays a major role in my advocacy of harsh remedies for these morons.
Cops do pay out of pocket for punitive damages awarded I believe. I could be wrong, but I thought it works this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.