Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Priority Pass:Sapphire Reserve,JPM Reserve,Ritz. Restaurant benefit ends 7.2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Priority Pass:Sapphire Reserve,JPM Reserve,Ritz. Restaurant benefit ends 7.2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When Sapphire Reserve was introduced, Chase purchased their Priority Pass memberships through a third party. If that's still true, Chase may have been insulated from cost increases due to price changes and utilization frequency. The timing of this announcement may be driven by a contract renewal, rather than a market assessment.
dw and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
When Sapphire Reserve was introduced, Chase purchased their Priority Pass memberships through a third party. If that's still true, Chase may have been insulated from cost increases due to price changes and utilization frequency. The timing of this announcement may be driven by a contract renewal, rather than a market assessment.
Interesting. I'd expect a company the size of Chase to basically do the equivalent of self insurance, with PP/Collinson as the plan administrator only.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm wondering what the distribution of users looks like. Last time I was at SFO (coming back from OGG), I overheard one UA crew member telling another to get the CSR because PP gives you a US$28 credit once a day at every airport. And she was taking the other crew member there as her guest.

My guess is that a very small number of "super users" account for a large percentage of the bill, most of whom are airline crew and very frequent flyers who are in airports every week or multiple times per week. And I have to wonder why they didn't target those people instead of cracking down on everyone.
Aren't they supposed to check for a boarding pass -- wouldn't that stop crew? If there was a PP option at BUR or OAK, I'd certainly be getting my money's worth, can't blame people for using the benefit. But I agree, limits could solve the super user issue. I have rarely been able to use it but was very happy vs lounge food.
Rare, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
A lot of people mentioning the Venture X here, which I kind of understand… but not really. The Venture X offers 2x on all spending, and some benefits. But the lounge access aspect for the primary cardholder are now similar to Chase Sapphire Reserve. The Venture (not X) at $95 offers many of the same other benefits outside of lounge access - particularly 2x on all spend. Unless you live in one of the Capital One airports, Venture X doesn’t really do much to solve the lounge issue.

At the end the day - if you want lounge access in the US, you really need an airline club network. That was largely true before all this and especially true now. The alternative is not Venture X or whatnot, it is Amex (Delta Reserve or Amex Platinum), Citi (Exec) or United (Chase United Club)
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and gudugan like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Mar 28, 2024 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I'm sure Chase's PP vendor is raising prices for full access because of the Groupon effect - restaurants hope CSR holders come for what is effectively a free entre and spend a whole lot more, or bring the whole family, but that never materialized. Just not enough David Brookses out there buying five or six doubles of top-shelf single malts to go with their free burger.

I'm just a bit surprised that Chase didn't pay the new price, even if they had to raise the AF a bit to do so, in order to stand out in a crowded field instead of becoming an also-ran.
Rare, italdesign, mtofell and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:41 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by abaheti
Aren't they supposed to check for a boarding pass -- wouldn't that stop crew?
Perhaps some restaurants weren’t policing the boarding pass requirement in the interest of getting more swipe fees. A few years ago, when PF Chang’s at LAX was part of the program, I checked it out once and was surprised at how many crew in uniform were eating there (and from what I could hear when checks were dropped, using PP).
abaheti likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dw
Perhaps some restaurants weren’t policing the boarding pass requirement in the interest of getting more swipe fees. A few years ago, when PF Chang’s at LAX was part of the program, I checked it out once and was surprised at how many crew in uniform were eating there (and from what I could hear when checks were dropped, using PP).
Literally just now walked out of the Brewtop at SEA. They asked for my boarding pass and scanned it (and I saw the app populating my flight info). Not clear why Collinson couldn’t enforce that to kill of the crew usage/scam.

(incidentally there was quite a line at the Amex CL the entire time I was at Brewtop.
Rare, SPN Lifer, abaheti and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by dw
Crew can add themselves as a nonrev to a flight very easily. Which generates a boarding pass.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
i have noticed a ton of flight crew using this, and inviting friends, moreso in the last month than in the last twelve months combined. makes me wonder if some critical mass hit and suddenly costs went vertical.

i can think of many ways to have limited without killing. one lounge per hour or two. one guest instead of two. cut the dollar limit to $20.
mtofell, gudugan and tygron like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by abaheti
Aren't they supposed to check for a boarding pass -- wouldn't that stop crew?
I don't recall the SFO restaurants asking for a BP. Mustards has not, at least.
abaheti, gudugan and tygron like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by econ
Lark Creek Grill asked for mine less than a week ago.
SPN Lifer, abaheti and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by econ
It is a Priority Pass requirement, but it might not be in the financial interest of a restaurant to enforce it.
dw, SPN Lifer, abaheti and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by psychtobe
i have noticed a ton of flight crew using this, and inviting friends, moreso in the last month than in the last twelve months combined. makes me wonder if some critical mass hit and suddenly costs went vertical.

i can think of many ways to have limited without killing. one lounge per hour or two. one guest instead of two. cut the dollar limit to $20.
In the past I’ve seen not just flight crew, but airport employees (gate agents) using it during their meal breaks. I’d imagine just one week’s use would exceed the average cardholder’s typical annual usage.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
Chase should have bought The Club lounges and refreshed them to chase sapphire lounges for a jumpstart and then fill in the gaps.
Would have been very tough considering The Club's parent company is the same owner as Priority Pass - would have decimated the program, and probably would make Amex pull out, at least for lounges in US/Canada/Mexico. I'm not sure Collinson would agree to a sale of Airport Dimensions' US properties unless it was part of Priority Pass and/or there was a long-term (10+ year) requirement to accept all Priority Passes at the door (maybe with a different food/drink menu and/or space for CSR holders inside).

Also, the refresh wouldn't be immediate - some like CLT could probably be refreshed very within a few months as they are still new and would probably be new furniture and an upgraded food/drink menu. Most of the lounges, however, like ATL or MCO would take time as it would likely require a full-ish reno to be brought to Chase standards.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dw
In the past I’ve seen not just flight crew, but airport employees (gate agents) using it during their meal breaks. I’d imagine just one week’s use would exceed the average cardholder’s typical annual usage.
Multiplied by the number of airports around and they were probably taking a bath on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.