Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
I think I'll plan to redeem everything I can at the $.015 rate by September 30th just because there's really no evidence it will extend beyond that for any category at this point and it's not worth it to me redeeming at $.01 per point.
Me too. I have...
  • 1 million+ URs.
  • Hundreds of thousands of hotel points and airline miles, thus little need to transfer URs.
  • No plans to travel anyway.
Thus, I'm happy to burn as many URs as I can for 1.5¢ each. Even so, I'm earning more URs than I'm burning.

RNE, can't lose for winning.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm thinking of buying all my gift cards for Christmas at Lowe's and Kroger and taking advantage of this redemption since travel isn't going to be happening for me in the foreseeable future and when it does I have more than enough skypeso's and Hilton Points anyway.

I'm buying new window coverings and using home depot and will hopefully have the order completed on Thursday so can burn some points there. Want to get new appliances and thinking of estimating the cost and buying some Home Depot gift cards and using them during black friday when they have good deals on appliances.
Happy and Happy like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
Yes, I just checked my account and I have quite a few more options for redemptions than I did last week. For example a wine store that shows as "groceries" per transaction type was previously not an option for redemption but now it is.
I think I'll plan to redeem everything I can at the $.015 rate by September 30th just because there's really no evidence it will extend beyond that for any category at this point and it's not worth it to me redeeming at $.01 per point.
I noticed the Farmer's market tokens I bought last week are now eligible and weren't before (I bought them using my CSR hoping to use pay yourself back and was weird it didn't show up before whenever chase freedom has grocery stores for a cash back bonus it always qualifies), along with a lady I buy prepared food from at the Farmers Market
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I wish I had noticed this as soon as it started! Since all I ever do with my UR points is redeem for cash back at $0.01 per point, I've been leaving real money on the table!
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:59 pm

Outside of home depot, lowes, ace hardwarr, does anyone know what stores count as home improvement? Ikea? Appliancd stores like pc richards?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Brandon Fuhrmann
Outside of home depot, lowes, ace hardwarr, does anyone know what stores count as home improvement? Ikea? Appliancd stores like pc richards?
True Value, too
Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Not sure how long everything is going to last. Not trying to liquidate my points like crazy either. I was able to PYB on all of my bars and dining the past few months. I'll take it.

Hoping for another offer. I'm not about to make non bonus purchases just to cash out points.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Sorry really late to the game. How much can you claim back? Do you recall the timeframe for the 5x groceries? Any advice on which transactions to choose?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sggolf
Sorry really late to the game. How much can you claim back? Do you recall the timeframe for the 5x groceries? Any advice on which transactions to choose?
No limit on PYB, AFAIK.

5X for CSR groceries ended 7/31.

But choose any transaction available to you for reimbursement. How much you earned (5X or 1X) makes no difference when you choose the m for PYB.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we do PYB on a transaction do we still get the points we would have earned on the transaction or do we forfeit them?

I'm doing pretty good with PYB. I have a bunch of points and am buying new appliances, bought new window treatments for eight windows and bought a lot of gift cards at Kroger.

I had stopped using my CSR and Chase Freedom unlimited for a while since I couldn't use the points due to no travel and wish now I would have used the cards more
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If we do PYB on a transaction do we still get the points we would have earned on the transaction or do we forfeit them?

I'm doing pretty good with PYB. I have a bunch of points and am buying new appliances, bought new window treatments for eight windows and bought a lot of gift cards at Kroger.

I had stopped using my CSR and Chase Freedom unlimited for a while since I couldn't use the points due to no travel and wish now I would have used the cards more
On my account, it looks like I get to keep the points earned. I pretty much paid off everything with pay yourself back and yet I get incoming points.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If we do PYB on a transaction do we still get the points we would have earned on the transaction ....
Yes, this was established when the feature was introduced. Scroll back to the beginning of the thread, you will bee the answer by post 12.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, this was established when the feature was introduced. Scroll back to the beginning of the thread, you will bee the answer by post 12.
Thanks tried searching the thread and must have missed it.

Since none of my credit cards have grocery stores for a bonus category this quarter, I'll buy a large Kroger gift card to use since I have ton of points and also non restaurant gift cards they sell.

Thought about buying the restaurant gift cards for Christmas for the points but am probably better off waiting since the promo gift cards restaurants give out at holiday time are worth more than the points I'd be redeeming.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
How does PYB compare to Shop with Points on Amazon?
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
How does PYB compare to Shop with Points on Amazon?
Shop with points at Amazon is not a good option (0.8 cents per point) unless they are running a promo. Even a "normal" statement credit is better than that at 1.0 cpp. The PYB promo is 1.5 cpp, so clearly better than both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.