Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:12 am

For those who still have eligible purchases, can anyone check if PYB function at 1.5c/pt still works for grocery or restaurant purchases as of today 10/1?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by creampiggy
For those who still have eligible purchases, can anyone check if PYB function at 1.5c/pt still works for grocery or restaurant purchases as of today 10/1?
I just paid myself back today (10/1) for a couple of restaurant purchases that were prior to 10/1. Not sure if that's what you meant or if you meant for charges on 10/1 or later. The latter I cannot help with. Edit: can confirm it's still the 1.5c rate.
RNE and creampiggy like this.

Last edited by ironcow13; Oct 1, 2020 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
I'd like to purchase an Apple Gift Card but no grocery store near me has them. If I buy one online from a grocery store's website (e.g., Kroger), will that code as a grocery store purchase for PYB purposes?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I'd like to purchase an Apple Gift Card but no grocery store near me has them. If I buy one online from a grocery store's website (e.g., Kroger), will that code as a grocery store purchase for PYB purposes?
AFAIK Kroger doesn't ship gift cards. I don't remember seeing any actual apple gift cards at Kroger, just Itunes/App store cards.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Not the question you asked, but I generally advise against Apple gift cards; better to take the added warranty on electronics that comes with CSR than the small savings the GCs (could) afford. There's a few assumptions in my last sentence, but perhaps this is something to think about if relevant to your case.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Not the question you asked, but I generally advise against Apple gift cards; better to take the added warranty on electronics that comes with CSR than the small savings the GCs (could) afford. There's a few assumptions in my last sentence, but perhaps this is something to think about if relevant to your case.
I definitely thought about that. I was still going to put some of the cost of the Apple Watch I’m looking at buying directly on my CSR so the purchase would be covered by the added warranty.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:20 am

I definitely thought about that. I was still going to put some of the cost of the Apple Watch I’m looking at buying directly on my CSR so the purchase would be covered by the added warranty.
The extended warranty will only reimburse you up to the amount you charge to the card.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The extended warranty will only reimburse you up to the amount you charge to the card.
Thanks for clarifying. Admittedly, I only read the CSR benefit booklet and - thankfully - don't have experience with filing a claim. Clearly I need to do more research.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:53 am

Thanks for clarifying. Admittedly, I only read the CSR benefit booklet and - thankfully - don't have experience with filing a claim. Clearly I need to do more research.
It's near the bottom of page 19 of the benefits guide.
You will be reimbursed up to the amount charged to Your Account or the program limit, whichever is less.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:27 am
RNE

If I buy one online from a grocery store's website (e.g., Kroger), will that code as a grocery store purchase for PYB purposes?
The preceding advice you received is so good I shutter to add this obvious bit of my own. To wit, when in doubt, do a small test purchase first. And afterwards, report your results here to benefit others.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:20 am

So after being thoroughly embarrassed by my oversight on the warranty coverages on my CSR...I'm glad to say that after doing a trial purchase, the gift card purchase coded as grocery and is eligible for PYB.
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm glad to say that after doing a trial purchase, the gift card purchase coded as grocery and is eligible for PYB.
Was that a purchase from a web site, as you suggested a couple days ago?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by creampiggy
The 50% bonus has been extended through April 30, 2021 with the same categories (grocery stores, restaurants, home improvement stores, and select charitable organizations).
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...serve-benefits
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:41 am
RNE

Does Chase really think1.5x PYB is sufficient to compensate for the CFF eating CSR's lunch?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Does Chase really think1.5x PYB is sufficient to compensate for the CFF eating CSR's lunch?
I don't see it that way. CSR is a better card if you have CFF as well. CFF is a better card if you have CSR as well. They enhance each other. Think of them as spaghetti and meatballs. Both good individually, but better together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.