Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
The only negative is opportunity cost of not being able to use the points for a higher value in the future.
I'll take that bet. Outside of a few chance redemptions in the months ahead, I doubt the program will become more lucrative. Hard to see my UR balance dwindle without my passport getting stamped, but PYB is the best thing running in 2020.
CO-PLAT and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
Are their any negatives to this program? I have north of 275K UR and like the idea. With no plans for a huge redemption in the next year, or so, this seems like a good program.
Not from my perspective. I've "paid myself back" just shy of $6k so far, and I've still got over 1 million UR points to burn. I expect to be able to redeem another $3k more by the end of September.

My future opportunities will be limited to restaurant spend, unless Chase extends the grocery category bonus on the CSR or adds another category bonus. I'm not going to put charges on the CSR if I can get a substantially better return on another card, even with the Pay Yourself Back offer. I'm fine with using what remains for travel at 1.5¢ per point, or converting them to miles if there are decent redemption possibilities, but I'll take the 1.5¢ per point in cash/credit to the extent that I can get it.
Happy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Are their any negatives to this program?
Not for me. I just replaced several kitchen appliances courtesy PYB.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Just looking at some examples, it wants 533 points for a $8 charge. Assuming 2 cents per point, 533 points would be worth over $10 to offset an $8 charge?

Is that typical of this PYB promotion?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Just looking at some examples, it wants 533 points for a $8 charge. Assuming 2 cents per point, 533 points would be worth over $10 to offset an $8 charge?

Is that typical of this PYB promotion?
Its not 2 cents per point, it's 1.5 cents per point.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Good promo. I traditionally only used my points for flights and cruises. Cruises especially, are inconvenient to book in this manner. Calling by phone, giving all of your info, not being able to manage your reservation easily, etc. I would much rather pay out of pocket for those things.

My problem is, I'm running out of things to pay myself back on. I wish I had used my Reserve earlier for more of my grocery purchases. Either way, I have a negative balance at the moment, and will for the foreseeable future. That is very nice. I wasn't using my points for anything beyond 1.5 cents anyways.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Is this a limited time promo or a permanent feature?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This is a temporary promotion, scheduled to end September 30, 2020.

https://media.chase.com/news/pay-you...timate-rewards
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is a temporary promotion, scheduled to end September 30, 2020.

https://media.chase.com/news/pay-you...timate-rewards
Interestingly, some of the language in that release makes it sound like PYB will remain beyond 9/30 and even be rolled out to other cards. Obviously, these statements do not lock Chase into anything, and I'm sure that Chase is using the period running til 9/30 to evaluate demand, cost, viability, etc. with regard to whether to keep the program going. I could certainly see the redeemable categories and maybe the redemption values changing, though.
Happy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Hmm, so it looks like PYB is here to stay, but the 50% bonus for CSR is only through 9/30. After 9/30, what differentiates PYB from a statement credit?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Is this a limited time promo or a permanent feature?
Limited time till Sept 30. Though since you can only PYB on POSTED transaction, therefore plan to have all eligible transactions done 3 days before Sept 30 - because it generally takes Chase 2 to 3 days to post a pending transaction. If the PYB feature stops working at midnight of Sept 30 and your Sept 28 eligible transactions is still pending, my gut feeling is, you would be SOL on those.

Given Chase put in a lot of IT efforts to create this feature for online redemption, it is very possible that it may become an ongoing feature with a rotating categories as being eligible - just like we now see the new categories for bonus earnin on CSR for the next few months when the grocery spend bonus ended on June 30.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xov91
Interestingly, some of the language in that release makes it sound like PYB will remain beyond 9/30 and even be rolled out to other cards. Obviously, these statements do not lock Chase into anything, and I'm sure that Chase is using the period running til 9/30 to evaluate demand, cost, viability, etc. with regard to whether to keep the program going. I could certainly see the redeemable categories and maybe the redemption values changing, though.
My bet is, the categories would be on a rotating basis. The redemption amount may be capped to certain amount during the promotion period.
Therefore I view this is a one time opportunity to clear out large balances if one wants to. Going forward even the feature stays, there would be some restrictions. Right now, the only "restriction" is How Much you would want to redeem out from your stash.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS
Just completed PYB on account. With UR balance near 1M , good way to redeem some now. Travel on hold for probably this year so, Good to get some value from points.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Now that the 5x supermarket spending prom is over, do people think it is better to still put the supermarket spending on a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to you the PYB feature or use a Marriott Bonvoy Card for 6X points?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
Now that the 5x supermarket spending prom is over, do people think it is better to still put the supermarket spending on a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to you the PYB feature or use a Marriott Bonvoy Card for 6X points?
Depends what your points goals (and level of 2020 optimism!) are, but the following has me second-guessing CSR at grocery stores through 31 July:
  1. AMEX Plat has 4x Skymiles (targeted?)
  2. Citi AA has 3 AA miles per $1 spent, up to 2,500 miles (targeted?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.