Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by holocker
Now that the 5x supermarket spending prom is over, do people think it is better to still put the supermarket spending on a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to you the PYB feature or use a Marriott Bonvoy Card for 6X points?
With the CSR you’d get 1.5c back, a simple 2% cash back card would let you earn 2% (if you had it).

How much do you value your Marriott points? That should answer your question.

I personally have switched to the Hilton Aspire for 12x. And after July I will likely use my CFU for 1.5 UR.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that the 5x supermarket spending prom is over, do people think it is better to still put the supermarket spending on a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to you the PYB feature or use a Marriott Bonvoy Card for 6X points?
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
With the CSR you’d get 1.5c back, a simple 2% cash back card would let you earn 2% (if you had it).

How much do you value your Marriott points? That should answer your question.

I personally have switched to the Hilton Aspire for 12x. And after July I will likely use my CFU for 1.5 UR.
The PYB is NOT a factor to decide whether you would use the Sapphire cards to EARN pts - but rather, a great way for those cardmembers who have a lot of UR pts, to redeem such pts with the same value as redeemed for travel given the travel usage is very much up in the air now, transfer options notwithstanding.

In other words, the temp 5x was just icing on the cake. The ability to cash out the UR pts almost like cash redemption but at 50% higher rate is where the PYB value lies - because there are many ways to earn UR pts from all Chase UR cards and all can be pooled to the account with the best redemption option.

As for your HH card grocery spend, let's hope all your grocery spend on the HH is organic, i.e. up and up that can stand any RAT scrutiny in case you have not read the "news" yet. (The same "news" apply to all AMEX cobrand cards that have temp grocery spend bonus enhancement, fwiw.)
CO-PLAT, EkekoBWI and Zeeb like this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
My local supermarket is Whole Foods, so I am using the Chase Freedom for that spend. For random other supermarket spend (bodega, Gristedes, other markets), I am using a mix of Bonvoy Brilliant, Delta Reserve and Citi Premier. But honestly the various Chase bonuses prevented me from taking full advantage of the Amex grocery bonuses.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:20 pm

So just to make sure I am thinking about this right, here is an example of what I want to do:

I can walk into a Home Depot, buy $1500 of gift cards to another merchant (since my local Home Depot carries third party gift cards), and then "pay myself back" for the Home Depot purchase using 100,000 UR Points (100,000 pts = $1000 x 1.5 bonus = $1500).

Is this right?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
So just to make sure I am thinking about this right, here is an example of what I want to do:

I can walk into a Home Depot, buy $1500 of gift cards to another merchant (since my local Home Depot carries third party gift cards), and then "pay myself back" for the Home Depot purchase using 100,000 UR Points (100,000 pts = $1000 x 1.5 bonus = $1500).

Is this right?
Yes. And you'll earn 1,500 points for your $1,500 in spend. Or if you spend the same amount at restaurants, you'll earn 4,500 points.

(You missed the chance in May/June to earn 5x points at grocery stores, which made this tactic especially worthwhile.)
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

Is this right?
Just to add, you would need to make the purchase with your Sapphire Reserve. You probably know that, but didn't mention it in your post.
tbm13 and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just got an email with the subject "New benefit: Redeem points for 50% more value in new categories"

Try a new way to redeem your points. Through September 30, 2020, your points are worth 50% more when you redeem for statement credits after using your card at grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations.*
Of which I think charitable organizations is the only new thing, right?

To ensure your charitable donation purchase is eligible for Pay Yourself Back, please donate directly to the charity's parent organization. See the Pay Yourself Back FAQs for a list of eligible charities. Local chapters may not be eligible for Pay Yourself Back.
https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....yourself-back/

The following charitable organizations are currently eligible for Pay Yourself Back: American Red Cross, Equal Justice Initiative, Feeding America, Habitat for Humanity, International Medical Corporation, Leadership Conference Education Fund, NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, National Urban League, Thurgood Marshall College Fund, United Negro College Fund, United Way, and World Central Kitchen.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Zorak
Just got an email with the subject "New benefit: Redeem points for 50% more value in new categories"

Of which I think charitable organizations is the only new thing, right?
New as in that it wasn’t available when Pay Yourself Back was originally rolled out, but it’s been available for a while. DoC mentioned it on 7/13:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...ption-options/

But yes, the other categories are not changed. When I got the email, I initially thought they were announcing new categories for future reimbursements.
tbm13 and Zorak like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Wiki post created, since it looks like this feature is sticking around for a while.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I am guessing they will continue some sort of rotating categories for the 50% bonus. They went through all the trouble to build this functionality, which wouldn't make a ton of sense if the long-term reward rate was the same as just getting cash back (everyone logically would just take direct deposit rather than picking through specific transactions).
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I am guessing they will continue some sort of rotating categories for the 50% bonus. They went through all the trouble to build this functionality, which wouldn't make a ton of sense if the long-term reward rate was the same as just getting cash back (everyone logically would just take direct deposit rather than picking through specific transactions).
And if I had to guess, it would be categories that don’t earn a spend bonus to drive some non-bonused spend.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
And if I had to guess, it would be categories that don’t earn a spend bonus to drive some non-bonused spend.
I agree that would be logical for Chase. But even if so, it is still a pretty good deal. Say they set a category, and I charge something in that category on my CSR rather than my "usual" 2% cash back card. Once I account for the lost half a percent in cash back, I am still getting redemption value of 1.4925 per UR point (vs 1.5 via travel portal). The slight devaluation is probably worth not having to deal with Chase Travel (let alone the fact that my travel is near zero in covid world).
Happy, notquiteaff and alvinroast like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Ha ha. Not for me. Non-bonuses spend goes to freedom unlimited at 1.5x, then the points are transferred to the CSR account.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmr12
Ha ha. Not for me. Non-bonuses spend goes to freedom unlimited at 1.5x, then the points are transferred to the CSR account.
I, too, have the CFU, but then those un-bonused charges can’t be covered by CSR “Pay Yourself Back”.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:37 am

I, too, have the CFU, but then those un-bonused charges can’t be covered by CSR “Pay Yourself Back”.
Yeah I have CFU too, but usually I spent my grocery on my BoA Premium Reward card. Now I am spending all grocery on CSR for the Pay Yourself Back. Same with Lowes and Home Depot purchases... which actually increased by a lot since locked down. Seems like everyone staying home decided to fix things or improve things in their houses.
Happy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.