Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Explore
I have the CSR and also the Freedom. Can you pay yourself back at 1.5x for eligible purchases on the Freedom? I don't see the Freedom purchases listed, even after I transferred those points to the CSR - unless there's a lag time for them to show up. Any information?
I wish I saw this earlier or chase would have notified me about this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:17 am

Datapoint: I used the feature on a Peapod (Stop & Shop grocery delivery) order paid for with my CSR. The points were deducted immediately upon submitting, and the redemption credit showed up in 1-2 days labelled as REDEMPTION CREDIT. The 5x points from the original transaction were left intact (purchase was made during the 5x grocery promo period)
conroy9 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Datapoint: I used the feature on a Peapod (Stop & Shop grocery delivery) order paid for with my CSR. The points were deducted immediately upon submitting, and the redemption credit showed up in 1-2 days labelled as REDEMPTION CREDIT. The 5x points from the original transaction were left intact (purchase was made during the 5x grocery promo period)
Interesting. Do you think they will walk the 5x points back at the time the statement is generated? I only ask because I see this as I think about redeeming points to "pay myself back:" going through the process on the Chase website:

Once you redeem any amount of points to a purchase for a statement credit, it will no longer be listed as an eligible purchase.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bmr12
Interesting. Do you think they will walk the 5x points back at the time the statement is generated? I only ask because I see this as I think about redeeming points to "pay myself back:" going through the process on the Chase website:
I suspect not. My Walmart posts as groceries and i returned an electronics purchase I made there (found a cheaper price elsewhere). Anyways when my statement posted I noticed I got 5x points on the purchase and only 1x removed on the refund.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmr12
Once you redeem any amount of points to a purchase for a statement credit, it will no longer be listed as an eligible purchase.
I don't think this means that the purchase does not earn points. I think it is talking about eligibility for the "pay yourself back" program. Once you pay yourself back for a purchase, it will be removed from the list of purchases that are eligible for the "pay yourself back" program. This text appears at the bottom of the list of purchases that are described as "eligible." Below is how it reads in context on my account.
TRANSACTION DAYS LEFT TO REDEEM PURCHASE AMOUNT
  • [email protected]Post Date: 06/08/20 84 $164.6610,977PTS
  • SQ *EL SURPost Date: 06/09/20 85 $176.0011,733PTS
  • [email protected]Post Date: 06/11/20 87 $118.437,895PTS
  • SQ *CALAVERAPost Date: 06/12/20 88 $280.8018,720PTS
These are the eligible transactions we found for the last 90 days.
Currently, only purchases at grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), and home improvement stores made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards can be redeemed with your Ultimate Rewards points for a statement credit. Transaction eligibility, categories, merchants and redemption values may change from time to time without notice. Once you redeem any amount of points to a purchase for a statement credit, it will no longer be listed as an eligible purchase.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I don't think this means that the purchase does not earn points. I think it is talking about eligibility for the "pay yourself back" program. Once you pay yourself back for a purchase, it will be removed from the list of purchases that are eligible for the "pay yourself back" program. This text appears at the bottom of the list of purchases that are described as "eligible." Below is how it reads in context on my account.
Ok good point. I'll try a small one and my statement date is coming up and see what happens.

I hadn't thought of churning returns to get 4X, but I imagine they'll eventually catch up to that one.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
My grocery purchases that were setting off the travel credit were not also showing up on PYB. This makes sense. The same purchase shouldn't be credited twice.

Today I had two grocery expenses that totaled $150. $120 or so finished up the travel credit. But, both showed up on PYB.

My guess is they coded so that once you hit $300 all the grocery expensesthat post on or after that date are available to PYB to avoid trying to write even more code that tries to figure out what part of the purchase that put you over should be left to be redeemed.

The "double dip" here isn't great because the URP could be used in other ways, but if you haven't used your travel credit at all and need $305 in groceries it appears you can double dip. Of course YMMV as I am just speculating based on what has happened with my grocery purchases in the past and most recently for my CSR.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by highops
My grocery purchases that were setting off the travel credit were not also showing up on PYB. This makes sense. The same purchase shouldn't be credited twice.

Today I had two grocery expenses that totaled $150. $120 or so finished up the travel credit. But, both showed up on PYB.

My guess is they coded so that once you hit $300 all the grocery expensesthat post on or after that date are available to PYB to avoid trying to write even more code that tries to figure out what part of the purchase that put you over should be left to be redeemed.

The "double dip" here isn't great because the URP could be used in other ways, but if you haven't used your travel credit at all and need $305 in groceries it appears you can double dip. Of course YMMV as I am just speculating based on what has happened with my grocery purchases in the past and most recently for my CSR.
I had the Chase Freedom card earning 5% on grocery this quarter. I upgraded (back) to CSR to use the PYB. They upgraded my card immediately and before I got the physical card and activated, a grocery store purchase during this time got 9% (5% + 4%). Apparently during this interval when the card was upgraded and sent out/upgraded (but not activated yet) that 9% bonus on grocery was sweet. Once I got the card and activated it, though, it was back to the usual 5% on grocery.

Once I had the CSR, I was able to PYB on ALL the charges within the last 90 days, even those that were previously done using Chase Freedom. On top of that, grocery charges also got credit for the $300 travel credit which was nice.

Now is all this worth the $550 AF? Well, not much travelling going on but large bursts of grocery shopping when we do go out, so this was helpful and an easy way to redeem nearly a quarter million UR points.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:31 pm

I was able to use PYB for a doordash order and it also received the $60 door dash credit.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Odd things happening now. Hello Fresh is coding as grocery but not showing available as PYB.

Last edited by highops; Jun 17, 2020 at 7:04 pm Reason: Undoing auto correct
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by highops
Odd things happening now. Hello Fresh is coding as grocery but. It showing available as PYB.
yep these (hello fresh, home chef, etc) have been getting 5x points since may as well.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:49 am

My statement just became available. There was no clawback or reduction in points earned when I redeemed some points for pay-yourself-back.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:02 am

It did for me-windows at Lowe's.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
It did for me-windows at Lowe's.
People were talking about the 5x earning at the current grocery spend promotion have not seen a claw back when people also used the PYB to erase the spend.

What do you mean - the spend in getting new windows at Lowes is eligible for PYB - Of course it should be, as Lowes is one of the home improvement stores out of a doz names, and home improvement spend is one of the three categories eligible for PYB benefit - the other 2 are Dining and Grocery.

Or the spend that should have earned 1x, and the 1x is clawed back?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ymarker
I had the Chase Freedom card earning 5% on grocery this quarter. I upgraded (back) to CSR to use the PYB. They upgraded my card immediately and before I got the physical card and activated, a grocery store purchase during this time got 9% (5% + 4%). Apparently during this interval when the card was upgraded and sent out/upgraded (but not activated yet) that 9% bonus on grocery was sweet. Once I got the card and activated it, though, it was back to the usual 5% on grocery.
Has anybody else been seeing this?

I have two Freedom cards, and I was planning to upgrade the one that has some grocery spend from April to CSR, both to use PYB on those earlier purchases and to be able to spend more than $1500 this month on groceries (on my existing CSR card) with PYB while still earning 5x UR.

But if I'll actually be earning 9x UR, I'm better off upgrading the card that has no grocery spend yet, since presumably I'll only get 9x UR up to the $1500 quarterly Freedom limit. Even if I'm charged a $550 annual fee (I've heard mixed reports on whether it's $550 or $450 for upgrades), I'll come close to recovering that in a single $1500 gift card purchase at 9x UR - I'd earn 13,500 UR points, which are worth $202.50 toward PYB, plus the $300 travel benefit, all on the first swipe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.