Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by VFR
Given that economy airfare paid with cash, including international, seems to just be getting cheaper and cheaper, and many programs pass on fuel surcharges, transferring to FF programs for economy is usually going to be a worse value vs redeeming at 1.5 cpp. So for consumers who want to use their points to book economy travel (which is likely to be most), I would say that Chase has a significant advantage over Amex. Folks on FlyerTalk don't necessarily represent the average CSR customer; since we all fly a decent amount, we know the product more and are more interested in premium cabin redemptions, for which I would say transferring points is a better value and for which Chase is a worse proposition than Amex. However, because they offer both 1.5 cpp redemptions and points transfers, they can keep both types of customer relatively happy.

Getting back on the original topic (kind of)... is there a way for Chase to raise the annual fee on the card and keep all of the demographics that use their card happy? I count (a) the folks that like 3X point earning and redeeming at 1.5 cpp, (b) the folks that like 3X point earning and transferring to FF programs, and (c) the folks that have the card for Priority Pass (including restaurants) and travel benefits.
Where MR is superior to UR for economy is having many more transfer partners allowing you to work around specific devaluations. That said $0.015/pt is generally a pretty good economy redemption rate and when you go through the Chase portal you also earn airline points and segments/spend.

I debate going to a three card cashback system often. US Bank Travel Rewards with Platinum Honors for 2.62% back on unbonused spend, Costco Visa for 3% dining and 4% gas (and 2 year extended warranty), and US Bank AR for 4.5% back on travel and mobile wallet (which for me covers groceries).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:55 pm

Give me 6x on dining and I'll do it.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Where MR is superior to UR for economy is having many more transfer partners allowing you to work around specific devaluations. That said $0.015/pt is generally a pretty good economy redemption rate and when you go through the Chase portal you also earn airline points and segments/spend.

I debate going to a three card cashback system often. US Bank Travel Rewards with Platinum Honors for 2.62% back on unbonused spend, Costco Visa for 3% dining and 4% gas (and 2 year extended warranty), and US Bank AR for 4.5% back on travel and mobile wallet (which for me covers groceries).
Do you mean BoA for the 2.62% back? If so, you need to have at least $100k in BoA (ML also works). Also, USB AR isn't a cash back card, you earn points and can redeem for travel at 1.5 cpp which is a 4.5%. I am not aware of away you can convert the points directly to cash.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Xephyr
Do you mean BoA for the 2.62% back? If so, you need to have at least $100k in BoA (ML also works). Also, USB AR isn't a cash back card, you earn points and can redeem for travel at 1.5 cpp which is a 4.5%. I am not aware of away you can convert the points directly to cash.
Sure you need to have $100k but I imagine for most people on this site it isn't that difficult to throw an old IRA into Merrill Edge. In fact, next time ME offers increased brokerage transfer bonuses I will be doing just that.

And there are many ways to cash out AR points at $0.015/pt. It just requires a tiny bit of imagination. Even if you don't have the imagination, real time rewards is as good as cash to me.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Sure you need to have $100k but I imagine for most people on this site it isn't that difficult to throw an old IRA into Merrill Edge. In fact, next time ME offers increased brokerage transfer bonuses I will be doing just that.

And there are many ways to cash out AR points at $0.015/pt. It just requires a tiny bit of imagination. Even if you don't have the imagination, real time rewards is as good as cash to me.
Not a fan of BoA investment products so I don't like the opportunity cost there.

USB AR RTR is absolutely awesome. I hope CSR gets it so I can convert points to cash even faster. With all the Devaluation, 1.5 is looking better and better
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Not a fan of BoA investment products so I don't like the opportunity cost there.

USB AR RTR is absolutely awesome. I hope CSR gets it so I can convert points to cash even faster. With all the Devaluation, 1.5 is looking better and better
You don't need to use any of BoA investment products. Just ACAT transfer an account with whatever stocks or ETFs you hold into Merrill Edge and let it sit.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:39 pm

You don't need to use any of BoA investment products. Just ACAT transfer an account with whatever stocks or ETFs you hold into Merrill Edge and let it sit.
Wouldn't AMEX BBP be better with an AMEX Plat CS? It's 2.5% CB if you cash it out and you don't have to worry about moving your account into ME? I guess to each their own...USB AR is interesting though especially now that a lot of places offer mobile payment. If only restaurants also offered mobile payment
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Xephyr
Wouldn't AMEX BBP be better with an AMEX Plat CS? It's 2.5% CB if you cash it out and you don't have to worry about moving your account into ME? I guess to each their own...USB AR is interesting though especially now that a lot of places offer mobile payment. If only restaurants also offered mobile payment
Yes, with a $550 annual fee. If you want to get 2.5% everywhere another option is Citi Double Cash paired with Citi Premier as that only comes with a $95 vs. $550.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:22 am

The BofA Prem Rewards is pretty decent with a parked orphan IRA to trigger the rewards. But, up to 50K the Amex BB at 2X MR is best in class for non-bonus general spending, in my view.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:28 am

No one likes any institution's loaded crazy AUM investment products, what is your point? Move over your index funds in either MF or ETFs and park it, same result. When applying for BoA premium rewards after 90 days tell them don't call, write, or text and tell them to put a note in your file that says "loss leader" and bold/italicize/underline that in 26 character font.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:47 pm

Not going to move assets between institutions everytime someone makes a change. Especially since BoA cards don't yield much cash back to begin with (not compatible with my heavy spends).
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:33 pm

Not going to move assets between institutions everytime someone makes a change. Especially since BoA cards don't yield much cash back to begin with (not compatible with my heavy spends).
You can earn 2.625 cash back on everything on BofA Premium card. No caps or categories.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
You can earn 2.625 cash back on everything on BofA Premium card. No caps or categories.
Most of my spend are netting me 4.5% or 7.5% in cash. I use Citi DC @2% for all other which is going to be less and less. 2 625 is not enticing. 15k spend just to make back the AF. Don't get me wrong it's a nice card but not enough to steer me away.

Last edited by openwheelracing; Dec 28, 2019 at 10:50 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:48 am

Most of my spend are netting me 4.5% or 7.5% in cash. I use Citi DC @2% for all other which is going to be less and less. 2 625 is not enticing. 15k spend just to make back the AF. Don't get me wrong it's a nice card but not enough to steer me away.
If I am not already Plat Honor with BoA, I probably won't try to move money into ML just to get the card either. But if you don't have to move money, and if you fly at least one or two times a year, it is really easy to get back the annual fee. Just a few meals or drinks on the plane or just pay baggage fee for 1 or 2 trips would be enough.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:00 am
RNE

Chase could raise the AF for *new* accounts while grandfathering the old AF for longstanding cardholders. Why? That would dissuade cancelling the card and reapplying when the 48-month bonus-moratorium ends in August 2020.

RNE, musing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.