Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:13 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Can you PM some tips on how to accomplish this? I'd really like to use fewer points for my yearly trips to Japan in J and F. Sounds like a dream come true to get a better itinerary and use fewer points without even needing transfer partners. Last time I checked the portal quoted me 570,000 UR so I must be doing something wrong.
Since it's dependent on the cash value, the trick is really just to find a really good cash fare. If you look at the JFK-TPE busineess deal there for $2000, that would be 133,334 UR points to purchase it at 1.5 cpp. According to AwardHacker.com, the cheapest way to transfer UR points to get from JFK-TPE in business would be to United at 160,000 UR points, and you have to find availability (yes, Virgin Atlantic shows but that's only for a non-stop flight on Delta which does not exist). You have to scroll through the cheaper options of NH, AC, and AV to find the first usable Chase transfer partner

However, there are two things to notice: (1 business class fares to Asia at the $2k price point are rather rare, and (2) most frequent flyer programs treat Japan as a closer region to the US than Taiwan (i.e. cheaper). Both of these tip the scales in favor of transferring miles to travel to Japan specifically.

I think that the 1.5 cpp UR redemption is mostly meant for the cheap domestic fares. If you can find an economy fare under $375, you are coming out ahead vs a domestic carrier's award chart's 25,000 mile RT cost. Makes sense since the majority of CSR customers will only travel domestically.
Happy, GTITAN and Statman like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
Since it's dependent on the cash value, the trick is really just to find a really good cash fare. If you look at the JFK-TPE busineess deal there for $2000, that would be 133,334 UR points to purchase it at 1.5 cpp. According to AwardHacker.com, the cheapest way to transfer UR points to get from JFK-TPE in business would be to United at 160,000 UR points, and you have to find availability (yes, Virgin Atlantic shows but that's only for a non-stop flight on Delta which does not exist). You have to scroll through the cheaper options of NH, AC, and AV to find the first usable Chase transfer partner

However, there are two things to notice: (1 business class fares to Asia at the $2k price point are rather rare, and (2) most frequent flyer programs treat Japan as a closer region to the US than Taiwan (i.e. cheaper). Both of these tip the scales in favor of transferring miles to travel to Japan specifically.

I think that the 1.5 cpp UR redemption is mostly meant for the cheap domestic fares. If you can find an economy fare under $375, you are coming out ahead vs a domestic carrier's award chart's 25,000 mile RT cost. Makes sense since the majority of CSR customers will only travel domestically.
Good example and analysis on the more realistic usage of the 1.5x value.

For domestic fares, almost always a Yes IF you cannot find Web Special awards and must use the standard award of 12.5K one way. (Does UA has such? while DL has started this several years ago and AA also has it now)

For international fares, especially to Europe, purchase business class fares often can be around $2500 if one does not mind connection or a bit indirect routing. This would make the UA award chart not competitive. Not to mention the programs of other Star Alliance members that Chase does not partner with so you could not use them if you only rely on UR transfer.

Though I am not sure a majority of UR card holders who pay $450 a year AF would travel primarily domestically. My guess is the opposite.

The reality is, all US airlines except AS, have devalued their award charts (incl the hidden ones that no longer displayed) so much in recent years, that it becomes more expensive to redeem a premium cabin international award than to purchase the flight with cash, factoring the 1.5x or even 1.25x discount. You also earn redeemable miles from the cash flight since unlike hotel programs, airline programs do not care where you book the flights.

As of now, Hyatt's charts are still reasonable and it is the only transfer partner we used since CSR exists.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:19 am

I'll continue to use TPE as example. It's just an example, the opposite may happen depending on dates and routes.
LAX-TPE roundtrip, May 3-15

United: 70K miles plus fees operated by EVA
United: $672 operated by EVA

Google flights showing EVA $818 or China Airlines $703

Chase portal showing EVA $833.61 or 66,689 UR
Chase portal showing China Airlines $696.61 or 55,729 points.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
I use most my points on international travel. So..not sure why I have different experience.
Coach or Business? Have you used for European airlines / LCCs? That is where I found the inflated prices the most, coupled with another issue that is UR does not offer the fares that include checked bag (and other things). For all European airlines if you buy the checked bag AFTER you ticketed, even online, you pay an additional premium to incl the feature versus you buy the fare that includes checked bag to begin with. The LCCs actually are doing a better job, i.e. you can buy the checked bags later and not pay much extra comparing to buying the fare incl the same features. Not the legacy European airlines.

Unless you travel in a back pack otherwise most people who travel from US, could not travel with a cabin bag at 7kg or below - and that includes business cabins of many airlines.

I'll continue to use TPE as example. It's just an example, the opposite may happen depending on dates and routes.
LAX-TPE roundtrip, May 3-15

United: 70K miles plus fees operated by EVA
United: $672 operated by EVA

Google flights showing EVA $818 or China Airlines $703

Chase portal showing EVA $833.61 or 66,689 UR
Chase portal showing China Airlines $696.61 or 55,729 points.
How about the same dates for business class?

The Poster asked for "tips" were looking for J / F, not Y.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:05 pm

These days I only travel economy. Maximize # of flights and minimize out of pocket. Two kids will do that to you.

Yes, transferring to partners will almost always get better value for premium class,.but truth is msrp is inflated.

I used UR portal for Europe all the time, mostly CDG, MUC and STR. You can find great deals via various airlines with long layovers. SAS, Norwegian, NZ, UA, Lufthanza comes to mind. Works good if you need a break (kids). I also find some great places to stay. We stay away from touristy spots. Been there done that. Recently stayed on a farm for two weeks in Salzkamagut. Kids had a blast and accommodation is better than 5 star hotel. Parking right out front door, fresh milk delivered by the door in morning. Full kitchen, beautiful view and great people.

Last edited by openwheelracing; Dec 22, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
These days I only travel economy. Maximize # of flights and minimize out of pocket. Two kids will do that to you.

Yes, transferring to partners will almost always get better value for premium class,.but truth is msrp is inflated.

I used UR portal for Europe all the time, mostly CDG, MUC and STR. You can find great deals via various airlines with long layovers. SAS, Norwegian, NZ, UA, Lufthanza comes to mind. Works good if you need a break (kids). I also find some great places to stay. We stay away from touristy spots. Been there done that. Recently stayed on a farm for two weeks in Salzkamagut. Kids had a blast and accommodation is better than 5 star hotel. Parking right out front door, fresh milk delivered by the door in morning. Full kitchen, beautiful view and great people.
Some of us actually pay for J and F which is the point I was making that your philosophy doesn't work so well for everyone The MSRP is not "inflated" if you're someone who actually pays those prices, prices which are never discounted out of SFO unfortunately. If my only choice is fly SFO-TYO in Y I'm just not going to go at all. Hell, even in economy, direct flights out of SFO are often over $2000 round trip so that's 150k UR right there.

You can find great deals via various airlines with long layovers. SAS, Norwegian, NZ, UA, Lufthanza comes to mind.
What happened to better routings on the portal?

FWIW I get your point but I think you're missing the other side of the points game when you blanket dismissed the value of transfer partners. The point that was made about Chase's weak transfer game is very relevant to many people including myself. AMEX MR has absolutely horrible cash out value compared to the CSR 1.5c redemption, but it also enables you to fly round trip business from the US to Japan for 75,000 miles during cherry blossom season, which is pretty cool.
roberto99, Happy, Statman and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Formatting

Some of us actually pay for J and F which is the point I was making that your philosophy doesn't work so well for everyone The MSRP is not "inflated" if you're someone who actually pays those prices, prices which are never discounted out of SFO unfortunately. If my only choice is fly SFO-TYO in Y I'm just not going to go at all. Hell, even in economy, direct flights out of SFO are often over $2000 round trip so that's 150k UR right there.
Exactly our situation. All the travels are discretionary. Yes, been there done that, more times than we care to remember. No way we could endure a long haul in Y as we age. The calculation for us is to compare the J cash ticket cost with the 1.5x factor versus transfer to UA. The gap has become much narrow in recent years thanks to the devaluation of UA.

Lack of transfer partners as well as transfer bonuses, are the real weak areas of the UR program now other banks have caught up.

FWIW I get your point but I think you're missing the other side of the points game when you blanket dismissed the value of transfer partners. The point that was made about Chase's weak transfer game is very relevant to many people including myself. AMEX MR has absolutely horrible cash out value compared to the CSR 1.5c redemption, but it also enables you to fly round trip business from the US to Japan for 75,000 miles during cherry blossom season, which is pretty cool.
But the transfer partners and transfer bonuses of AMEX MR are much much better than UR. Though the sweet spot of VS on ANA might change when VS would have a revamping of its program in early 2020. Right now if one needs to go to Japan, the MR 30% transfer bonus to VS is a great deal.

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Exactly our situation. All the travels are discretionary. Yes, been there done that, more times than we care to remember. No way we could endure a long haul in Y as we age. The calculation for us is to compare the J cash ticket cost with the 1.5x factor versus transfer to UA. The gap has become much narrow in recent years thanks to the devaluation of UA.

Lack of transfer partners as well as transfer bonuses, are the real weak areas of the UR program now other banks have caught up.

But the transfer partners and transfer bonuses of AMEX MR are much much better than UR. Though the sweet spot of VS on ANA might change when VS would have a revamping of its program in early 2020. Right now if one needs to go to Japan, the MR 30% transfer bonus to VS is a great deal.
I'm not talking about VS. For J awards (not F) outside of ANA's peak time booking with ANA is cheaper and you have access to inventory right when calendar opens. Anyway, this is off topic but suffice to say, Chase really needs to improve their travel partner game. How did they allow themselves to be beaten not just by Citi, but by Capital One of all issuers.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:08 pm

What happened to better routings on the portal?

I don't know how many times I emphasized YMMV. I speak for myself and my style only.

You actually pay J and F. Good for you but I bet you are in minority. Yes MR to ANA is great but I don't want to go to Japan all the time, well......that actually sounds kind of nice.

Having more options of layover or direct flight is better routing. Again YMMV.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not talking about VS. For J awards (not F) outside of ANA's peak time booking with ANA is cheaper and you have access to inventory right when calendar opens. Anyway, this is off topic but suffice to say, Chase really needs to improve their travel partner game. How did they allow themselves to be beaten not just by Citi, but by Capital One of all issuers.
Thanks for the clarification. We usually only fly one-ways because virtually all our trips are some type of RTW, made up by various programs, flights and cruises. Therefore the R/T only ANA redemption does not work for us. Though this article implies that you can now book one way with VS on NH.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/12/15/...ng-club-miles/
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how many times I emphasized YMMV. I speak for myself and my style only.

You actually pay J and F. Good for you but I bet you are in minority. Yes MR to ANA is great but I don't want to go to Japan all the time, well......that actually sounds kind of nice.

Having more options of layover or direct flight is better routing. Again YMMV.
If we were flying coach transcon, we also prefer having connection with 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs layover somewhere midway - chance to stretch the legs, walk around a bit, even have a bite.
With kids, and if the goal is going for quanity over quality, sure coach with layovers work better than direct flights on very long hours. The layovers allow for a more sanity for all parties involved.

Still, the original poster's question is for business or first class travel booked thru UR and what he saw is not working as what you posted, for coach travel.

There is really no trick just hard number comparison - see how much it costs to fly on award, plus the availability issues, versus how much it costs to fly on revenue, taking into account the 1.5x. OP may be able to find some good fares going thru Hong Kong these days, especially on Chinese airlines,
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:31 pm

RE: UR vs MR

As H observed, the considerable points devaluation with UR's partners has more or less left Hyatt as the only option that doesn't completely suck. I still remember when UR was first launched, the value transfer to UA and Hyatt were incredible. I recall wondering the point of elite status when I can just redeem for J/F and Suites galore. Now, I'm probably of the opinion 1.5 cpp is not bad, at all.

For me, MR is better, especially now. When you combine bonus transfers and as mentioned the 75K NH J RT or to VS for NH F, Amex has held its own, while Chase has been slipping. Years ago, if any suggested Citi TY or Cap One (these guys!) would be pulling near Chase, I'd laugh at you out of general principle. Now, I really don't even have a counter.

What I really miss was SPG, especially for businesses. Wow, that was the greatest of them all, in my view.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:39 pm

Only one thing is certain: Devaluation.
Happy, GTITAN, krazykanuck and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the clarification. We usually only fly one-ways because virtually all our trips are some type of RTW, made up by various programs, flights and cruises. Therefore the R/T only ANA redemption does not work for us. Though this article implies that you can now book one way with VS on NH.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/12/15/...ng-club-miles/
Lucky at OMAAT called five times and couldn't do it and nobody in the comments on his article could either. It's obviously technically possible but you have to somehow get an agent to break all the barriers.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Given that economy airfare paid with cash, including international, seems to just be getting cheaper and cheaper, and many programs pass on fuel surcharges, transferring to FF programs for economy is usually going to be a worse value vs redeeming at 1.5 cpp. So for consumers who want to use their points to book economy travel (which is likely to be most), I would say that Chase has a significant advantage over Amex. Folks on FlyerTalk don't necessarily represent the average CSR customer; since we all fly a decent amount, we know the product more and are more interested in premium cabin redemptions, for which I would say transferring points is a better value and for which Chase is a worse proposition than Amex. However, because they offer both 1.5 cpp redemptions and points transfers, they can keep both types of customer relatively happy.

Getting back on the original topic (kind of)... is there a way for Chase to raise the annual fee on the card and keep all of the demographics that use their card happy? I count (a) the folks that like 3X point earning and redeeming at 1.5 cpp, (b) the folks that like 3X point earning and transferring to FF programs, and (c) the folks that have the card for Priority Pass (including restaurants) and travel benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.