FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:48 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
I use most my points on international travel. So..not sure why I have different experience.
Coach or Business? Have you used for European airlines / LCCs? That is where I found the inflated prices the most, coupled with another issue that is UR does not offer the fares that include checked bag (and other things). For all European airlines if you buy the checked bag AFTER you ticketed, even online, you pay an additional premium to incl the feature versus you buy the fare that includes checked bag to begin with. The LCCs actually are doing a better job, i.e. you can buy the checked bags later and not pay much extra comparing to buying the fare incl the same features. Not the legacy European airlines.

Unless you travel in a back pack otherwise most people who travel from US, could not travel with a cabin bag at 7kg or below - and that includes business cabins of many airlines.

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
I'll continue to use TPE as example. It's just an example, the opposite may happen depending on dates and routes.
LAX-TPE roundtrip, May 3-15

United: 70K miles plus fees operated by EVA
United: $672 operated by EVA

Google flights showing EVA $818 or China Airlines $703

Chase portal showing EVA $833.61 or 66,689 UR
Chase portal showing China Airlines $696.61 or 55,729 points.
How about the same dates for business class?

The Poster asked for "tips" were looking for J / F, not Y.