Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ramlax13
Interested to see which benefits are passed along to AU of the card, if any. PP membership, Global entry, etc.
Me as well. I'm hoping some of it carries over to the AU.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Don't close it, downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited - no AF and different/complementary UR earning structure to CSR.
Good thought, thanks, you are right.

She was once turned down for a Freedom, a couple years ago. I never understood that. Only time in 25+ years either of us was declined.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:58 pm

Don't close it, downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited - no AF and different/complementary UR earning structure to CSR.
+1 here. Absolutely don't close the CSP. Converting it to one of those is the way to go.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yep, wife has CSP and I think I will get her the CSR and drop CSP. Not sure why I wouldn't. Anybody?

My brother to a T. Smart as hell (surgeon). Has $3k a month office expenditure. Has the free cheapest crappiest DL card giving 1 Skymile per dollar. I have been after him for YEARS to get an Ink or at least SPG or 2% cashback or SOMETHING.

His response: "Those have an annual fee, right?"

"Yeah, like $75-95, but you'd get back hundreds a year, maybe thousands, in value. Pushing $1000 or more maybe in year one from signup bonus alone. Then if you do not like it, cancel."

"I am NOT paying an annual fee. Case closed."

I even offered to manage it for him as he is so busy. No dice. What can you do?
Fidelity Visa. 2%. No annual fee. Hook him up.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
At least for the first card year, the $300 credit can be applied twice. So that's $600 for your $450 annual fee. Then if you just use the 100k points for travel instead of transferring to a partner, that's another $1500. Plus Global Entry, $100.

So, for the first year, you get $2200 in value for your $450. Then after that you can decide if you want to keep it. Definitely worth it to apply.
Yeah it's a great deal no matter what at least for the first year. Plus even if you aren't flying soon you can probably buy airline gift cards.

The bonus miles and spend will get me about 80% to a round trip ticket to New Zealand on United BusinessFirst.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Has anyone heard if Private Client customers will get a bonus?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sjackson12
Yeah it's a great deal no matter what at least for the first year. Plus even if you aren't flying soon you can probably buy airline gift cards.
That's what I do with my AmEx Plat, but this credit (from what we saw yesterday at least) is going to be so easy to use that I doubt most people will need to resort to gift card shenanigans. I spend $300 on Uber/Lyft in a few months. And this card will definitely be getting all my Uber/Lyft spend at 3x
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
That's what I do with my AmEx Plat, but this credit (from what we saw yesterday at least) is going to be so easy to use that I doubt most people will need to resort to gift card shenanigans. I spend $300 on Uber/Lyft in a few months. And this card will definitely be getting all my Uber/Lyft spend at 3x
Quicksilver can be better.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
At least for the first card year, the $300 credit can be applied twice.
I'm anticipating that this will be changed/clarified once the card is official introduced on 8/21 to not allow this as it keeps being talked about.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I'm anticipating that this will be changed/clarified once the card is official introduced on 8/21 to not allow this as it keeps being talked about.
How so? Based on the terms below:

A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for purchases in the travel category, up to $300 in statement credits annually ("annually" means the year beginning with your account open date through the first December statement date of that same year, and each 12 billing cycles starting after your December statement date through the following December statement date).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
I'm anticipating that this will be changed/clarified once the card is official introduced on 8/21....
Would you anticipate that American Express and Citi would make a similar clarification? It is very clear from the leaked terms that Chase's me too version is also a calendar year benefit (see terms helpfully quoted by missing_link ).:
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:38 pm

I'm anxiously checking my inbox in hopes that I slipped through and have a tracking number.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

At least for the first card year, the $300 credit can be applied twice. So that's $600 for your $450 annual fee. Then if you just use the 100k points for travel instead of transferring to a partner, that's another $1500. Plus Global Entry, $100.

So, for the first year, you get $2200 in value for your $450. Then after that you can decide if you want to keep it. Definitely worth it to apply.
Anyone have insight as to whether the $300 you spend in travel and the $300 credit will count towards the $4000 spend, or do you need a $4300 spend to actually get the bonus?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:43 pm

What does everyone think about this situation?

My wife and I share a CSP account currently, approximately $55k annual spend. It is my account. I had been planning to have her get her own CSP to bank the 65k bonus points (50k after spend + 5k AU + 10k referral). Now I'm wondering if we should just both get the CSR when it's officially launched. The $900 up front is a solid chunk, but it looks like we'll get $1200 in travel reimbursement before renewal, coming out ahead +300. Then we'd likely cancel/downgrade one of the CSRs before renewal and keep the other to use as we do our CSP currently.

So, get both now if we can swing the upfront costs? Have her get a CSP first, and then the CSR later this year (with hopefully the same or similar bonus)?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingChase
What does everyone think about this situation?

My wife and I share a CSP account currently, approximately $55k annual spend. It is my account. I had been planning to have her get her own CSP to bank the 65k bonus points (50k after spend + 5k AU + 10k referral). Now I'm wondering if we should just both get the CSR when it's officially launched. The $900 up front is a solid chunk, but it looks like we'll get $1200 in travel reimbursement before renewal, coming out ahead +300. Then we'd likely cancel/downgrade one of the CSRs before renewal and keep the other to use as we do our CSP currently.

So, get both now if we can swing the upfront costs? Have her get a CSP first, and then the CSR later this year (with hopefully the same or similar bonus)?
Assuming she is at 3/24 or 4/24 or less, I would have her get the CSP, wait 31 days (and maybe see if you can get a referral link for the CSR in the meantime) then get the CSR. After a year she can downgrade the CSP to a Freedom/FU and pay no fee on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.