Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Maybe YOU should reread your post, because that's not what your post said. It said:

"Got a 7-10 day pending message, which I've never had before. Usually, I am approved instantly. I called immediately ....
So according to you, I was supposed to wait until I got the denial letter which I was informed was coming, and THEN call to appeal? Chase said I was denied because of 5/24 and I had to call them to take off one AU, which brought me to 4/24.

Had I waited until I got the denial letter, I would have lost 10 days and missed th deadline on paying some large bills which I will now be able to pay with the CSR to meet the spending requirement.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by pashber
So according to you, I was supposed to wait until I got the denial letter which I was informed was coming
At what point (and how) were you informed of the denial?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Had similar experience with applying for hyatt CC....7 TO 10 DAYS...I waited and they called 2 business days later and said I was maxed on credit with chase. Had Disney, CSP, and just had SW card approved the month prior. The nice lady sad she would close my Disney card which hadn't been used for over a year. I said sure no problem. She approved me for the hyatt and moved the credit over from the disney. I think it's always best to wait it out. I've never been denied a chase CC that I couldn't end up being approved. One time I had couple AUs that put me over 5/24 but did get approved when I called in after receiving the denial letter. I could have avoided the decision pending if I had decreased my Disney CL before applying. But I wanted to cancel the Disney anyways. Now I'm planning my trip to Hyatt ziva cancun using hyatt free nights and UR points from CSP. 10k vacation for free (well minus CC fees of less than 350 bucks)....wife and 3 kids flying southwest for 7 nights ....thanks Chase! I plan to post my fullplan once I make the reservations. Good luck

I applies for the Reserve today online. Got a 7-10 day pending message, which I've never had before. Usually, I am approved instantly. I called immediately and eventually was transferred to a lender. I was told the app had been denied for too many credit cards. I reviewed my history and knew that I was at 4/24 for the last 24 months, but that there was a possible 5/24 issue because I am an AU on DH's Sapphire card. The lender said that 5/24 was just an internet story, but she was willing to reconsider my app if I removed the AU, which I did, since we no longer will use this card once the Reserve is in place. (Note: she did ask whether I used the card as an AU. I said no. Is that even relevant?)

I then had to answer a battery of questions re: sources and amounts of income. At least she didn't ask for a tax return, but I was beginning to wonder what the heck....She even asked me how much of the reported pension income was mine. I thought HH income was the standard, not how much the applicant makes.

BTW, our joint income is $180K and credit scores are well over 800 apiece. Everything is paid in full every month. In fact, we have been paying before the statements close so that the amounts will not show up on a credit report as a debt for a mortgage refi (which we decided to forego because rates have now increased too much).

After getting that out of the way, she said I would have to reallocate credit from my 2 existing Chase cards (Freedom and Unlimited), which totalled about $50K. So I dipped into both cards to come up with $25K for Reserve.

I thought that rather odd because I had previously had a $25K line on the Chase Hyatt, which I closed in April. So looks like Chase is getting more stringent here.

I was finally approved, but was told the card would not be arriving for 1-2 weeks and that they could not expedite. My next payment (I checked online) will be 12/20, meaning that the first billing cycle closes around 11/23. I can probably meet the spending requirement if the card comes in by the 19th or so, as I have a couple of large bills I have not paid in anticipation of needing to meet a spending requirerment on a new Reserve card.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:01 am

If I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?
NO.
For cards subject to the 24-month waiting period, the wait to re-apply is measured not from the date of your previous application (or approval date, if different), but instead from the date you received the signup-related bonus on the previous card, which may be 3-4 months later than the approval date. The same rule applies regardless of the type of signup bonus received (points, miles, or free-night certs); anniversary benefits unrelated to spending requirements, such as annual IHG & Marriott certs, do not count as signup bonuses--------------
I JUST read this..... This may be the reason I was denied a 2nd cc for swa this week? I had thought it was the *open* date for a cc that was counted against 5/24,not the date you got a bonus (usually quite a bit later on) what to do now? Got 1 approved, 2nd denied for 'bonus within 24 months' think if I called recon it would make a difference?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by hsmama
If I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?
NO.
For cards subject to the 24-month waiting period, the wait to re-apply is measured not from the date of your previous application (or approval date, if different), but instead from the date you received the signup-related bonus on the previous card, which may be 3-4 months later than the approval date.
This is covered in the Wiki:

Can I apply for a specific Chase card and earn the bonus again after doing so previously?
It depends. A Chase card may be "churned" when an entirely new version becomes available. For example, business cards are distinct from personal/consumer cards. Note that simple variations among bonus offers do not amount to new versions/products for purposes of this rule.

Beginning in 2014, Chase began including explicit language in most of its offers, such as the following from a standard Sapphire Preferred offer:
Quote:
This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by benosufan
Had similar experience with applying for hyatt CC....7 TO 10 DAYS...I waited and they called 2 business days later and said I was maxed on credit with chase. Had Disney, CSP, and just had SW card approved the month prior. The nice lady sad she would close my Disney card which hadn't been used for over a year. I said sure no problem. She approved me for the hyatt and moved the credit over from the disney. I think it's always best to wait it out. I've never been denied a chase CC that I couldn't end up being approved. One time I had couple AUs that put me over 5/24 but did get approved when I called in after receiving the denial letter. I could have avoided the decision pending if I had decreased my Disney CL before applying. But I wanted to cancel the Disney anyways. Now I'm planning my trip to Hyatt ziva cancun using hyatt free nights and UR points from CSP. 10k vacation for free (well minus CC fees of less than 350 bucks)....wife and 3 kids flying southwest for 7 nights ....thanks Chase! I plan to post my fullplan once I make the reservations. Good luck
Your civility is much appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Googled this, but I'm wondering if any updated data. First question: What is likelihood of combined pulls for CSP and new Ink Pref? Or Ink Pref and Marriott biz? Wasn't sure if the personal vs business would also affect likelihood. Conflicting data on net.

Second question: though wiki doesn't have a hard number, what is the general rule of thumb re applications within short time period. For me, no Chase apps in 2 years other than CSR on 9/1. I'd like to do Ink Pref and CSP and/or Marriott Biz. I'm inclined to do Marriott last or even wait on it b/c reportedly not affected by 5/24. I'm at 3/24 currently.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:10 am

So according to you, I was supposed to wait until I got the denial letter which I was informed was coming, and THEN call to appeal? Chase said I was denied because of 5/24 and I had to call them to take off one AU, which brought me to 4/24.

Had I waited until I got the denial letter, I would have lost 10 days and missed th deadline on paying some large bills which I will now be able to pay with the CSR to meet the spending requirement.
No, according to me, you should have mentioned being told you were denied in your original post. You didn't mention that crucial detail, so it sounded like you called before you got the denial. I have no idea why you want to keep going on about this.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Searched but could not find definitive answer. When do the accounts fall off. I am at 7/24 right now but I opened 3 accounts on 12/20/14, so would I be at 4/24 on 12/21/16 or would I not be safe to apply until 1/1/17?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Googled this, but I'm wondering if any updated data. First question: What is likelihood of combined pulls for CSP and new Ink Pref? Or Ink Pref and Marriott biz? Wasn't sure if the personal vs business would also affect likelihood. Conflicting data on net.
I can't speak to the personal vs business part, but I had IHG and Hyatt apps on the same day a couple of weeks ago, and they only pulled my experian once.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Cool Marriott Card Declined

I just applied my wife (4/24) for a Marriott card thinking it's one of the easier cards to get but no dice. She called the reconsideration line and here's the result:

1st attempt: They said she was a co-applicant on a 5th card (possibly an in-store line of credit we applied for to get some appliances at a Spencer's store) and they couldn't do anything for her.

2nd attempt: This time I called, disguising my voice (I'm sure that would have been amusing but no indication they were onto me). They said the decline was because they were counting AU cards she had because they appeared on her credit report. They asked me if I used the AU cards and I wasn't sure how to respond so I said "yes, sometimes." That, I think was a mistake. The guy sounded like he really wanted to help and went away a couple of times to talk to a supervisor but he came back and said they couldn't do anything because I was using the AU cards. I asked if it might make a difference if I had myself removed as an AU and he said it might if they fell off the credit report.

I view this as an indication that AU cards matter and that it might be a good policy to remove all AU's after any AU points are earned or at least a couple of months down the road because they could affect your application.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTTTroll
Searched but could not find definitive answer. When do the accounts fall off. I am at 7/24 right now but I opened 3 accounts on 12/20/14, so would I be at 4/24 on 12/21/16 or would I not be safe to apply until 1/1/17?
Nobody knows for sure. Doesn't it seem safer to wait 10 days? Or are you more interested in being a guinea pig for us (and then reporting back)? (Ie, as long as no one dares risk being the guinea pig, we're not going to have good data on this!)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by liongate
. They asked me if I used the AU cards and I wasn't sure how to respond so I said "yes, sometimes." That, I think was a mistake.
You are correct, that was a mistake- you should've said you did not use them or that you use them only in case of an emergency and they would've thrown out the AU's- you could try to HUCA again and change your answer but YMMV
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by TTTTroll
I believe the conventional wisdom is for auto-approval you need to wait until the next month, but on recon you could probably apply 12/21 and then have them adjust your 5/24 count
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by btk2333
You are correct, that was a mistake- you should've said you did not use them or that you use them only in case of an emergency and they would've thrown out the AU's- you could try to HUCA again and change your answer but YMMV
Yeah, I guess one more try won't hurt -- all they can do is refuse. I went ahead and got my wife an Amex SPG card with a 30k bonus in the meantime. Instant approval. Nothing more in my name until May when I should be eligible for the CSR. We just finished the spend on my wife's CSR -- I was surprised how quickly the 100k points were in her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.