Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:43 am

Sooo..... I have a 'few' chase cards in my wallet..... I want to apply for the SWA premier and plus, and soon. How long does it take for my accounts to refresh,and that pesky 4/24 AU to fall off,based on dates? (It's 2 years at the end of Oct,just passed) One acct inquiry fell off from Oct. 6th- but since I am going for both cards, I think I should wait till the end one due to come off,comes off. Will it show on creditkarma?
Also- best to apply for both one after the other(quickly) or to wait a day or two in between?
I have a chase cc (BA) that I want to cancel also, but I just paid the AF b/c I figured if I canceled/then applied so fast it would be frowned upon..... wrong move? right? advice?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmama
Sooo..... I have a 'few' chase cards in my wallet..... I want to apply for the SWA premier and plus, and soon. How long does it take for my accounts to refresh,and that pesky 4/24 AU to fall off,based on dates? (It's 2 years at the end of Oct,just passed) One acct inquiry fell off from Oct. 6th- but since I am going for both cards, I think I should wait till the end one due to come off,comes off. Will it show on creditkarma?
Also- best to apply for both one after the other(quickly) or to wait a day or two in between?
I have a chase cc (BA) that I want to cancel also, but I just paid the AF b/c I figured if I canceled/then applied so fast it would be frowned upon..... wrong move? right? advice?
Inquiries have nothing to do with it. You have to look at your actual credit report (which Credit Karma should be able to show you), and count the number of bank card accounts that have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. If that's now 4 (but count and verify, don't juist guess!), you should be good to go. But if one of the cards you thought you opened in Oct 2014 actually has an "opened on" date of Nov 2014 (for whatever reason), you would have to wait one month more.

As for AUs, those shouldn't count, but if they do, you should be able to resolve that on recon (after initial denial because of them counting).
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:53 pm

Anyone has a recommendation of a competent Chase CPC banker?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide a reference to a competent CPC banker (hopefully in the NY/Westchester/tri-state area). I scrapped together every penny I had to achieve CPC status, but so far I have gone to 4-5 Chase branches to see if any of them is willing to fight for me for a Chase Sapphire Reserve application (wayyyy past 5/24), and so far I have all received blank stares.

The conversation typically goes like this:

Me: Hi, I am a Chase CPC and I would like to apply for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card!

Banker: Oh great! I would love to help you. Please sit down!

Me: There is an issue though, although I have stellar credit, Chase typically do not approve people with more than 5 credit cards in the past two years. I was hoping that if I get denied based on this factor, would you be willing to help me call reconsideration to help me push this application through, considering I am a private client?

50% of Bankers: No way! Why would they deny you for more than 5 credit cards in two years? I have never heard of that!

Other 50% of Bankers (showing 0% of the enthusiasm from before): I will help you call, but we have no control over credit cards and we really can't influence underwriting in any way. Do you still want to apply?

So as you can see, I really just want to know if there is one competent Chase banker out there in the NY area that you can recommend to help me. Please feel free to PM, and I greatly appreciate it!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Based on countless examples in the other CSR thread(s) I think you're doing it wrong.

1. Ask the CPC banker to complete and submit your application.
2. If rejected, act mildly upset and request that the banker fix it.
3. Success!

There's no need to explain why you're doing what you're doing. We've seen time and time again that attempting to explain the CC game to bank representatives backfires.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Based on countless examples in the other CSR thread(s) I think you're doing it wrong.

1. Ask the CPC banker to complete and submit your application.
2. If rejected, act mildly upset and request that the banker fix it.
3. Success!

There's no need to explain why you're doing what you're doing. We've seen time and time again that attempting to explain the CC game to bank representatives backfires.
Thanks! Will try.

May need a lesson on acting mildly upset. I typically end up on the end of the spectrum.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You dont even need a banker. Call recon yourself and tell them you are CPC. Let the magic work!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
You dont even need a banker. Call recon yourself and tell them you are CPC. Let the magic work!
You sure about this? The data points indicate that a banker is probably more appropriate to push for this. Like Eminem said, I only got one shot, so I betta make it work the first time.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:04 am

Dumb question, but I'm assuming you asked them if you were pre-approved for the CSR (and the answer is no, hence the CPC angle)? If you are pre-approved it bypasses 5/24. Assume you know that but just making sure.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Action: Since a competent banker is not actually the issue, I will combine this thread into the "applying for" thread. There are numerous supporting data points in both the "applying for" thread and the dedicated CSR thread about CPC over-rides.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Inquiries have nothing to do with it. You have to look at your actual credit report (which Credit Karma should be able to show you), and count the number of bank card accounts that have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. If that's now 4 (but count and verify, don't juist guess!), you should be good to go. But if one of the cards you thought you opened in Oct 2014 actually has an "opened on" date of Nov 2014 (for whatever reason), you would have to wait one month more.

As for AUs, those shouldn't count, but if they do, you should be able to resolve that on recon (after initial denial because of them counting).
Oh,ok- I know for sure my 2 I'm waiting on were opened in Oct 2014- I guess I am wondering how long after that exact date(say for example it's Oct 28) I need to wait to apply now....
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Dumb question, but I'm assuming you asked them if you were pre-approved for the CSR (and the answer is no, hence the CPC angle)? If you are pre-approved it bypasses 5/24. Assume you know that but just making sure.
Yes I should have clarified I wasn't preapproved.

That said, I would really like to get some insight on applying by yourself online v. going to a banker when you are a CPC and over 5/24.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmama
Oh,ok- I know for sure my 2 I'm waiting on were opened in Oct 2014- I guess I am wondering how long after that exact date(say for example it's Oct 28) I need to wait to apply now....
Like I said, please look at your actual credit report. Does it list the day on which each card was opened, or only the month?

Chase goes by what your credit report stays (in terms of "opened on" dates), not by what actually happened. That's why you have look at what your credit report says.

For example, a card that was opened on at the very end of October (like maybe even for your example of Oct 28?) might say "opened in November" if the bank was a couple days late in reporting the opening. So please stop going by what you remember as the date you opened the card, and look at your actual credit report. (Or else just wait till December!)
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Like I said, please look at your actual credit report. Does it list the day on which each card was opened, or only the month?

Chase goes by what your credit report stays (in terms of "opened on" dates), not by what actually happened. That's why you have look at what your credit report says.

For example, a card that was opened on at the very end of October (like maybe even for your example of Oct 28?) might say "opened in November" if the bank was a couple days late in reporting the opening. So please stop going by what you remember as the date you opened the card, and look at your actual credit report. (Or else just wait till December!)
Yes.. thank you- on creditkarma it says opened Oct. 30 2014- I gues I'm asking, if it shows as that 'open' date on creditkarma, is that accurate for dates,and does that mean I am now below the 5/24 as of Oct. 30, or is it a certain number of days PAST that open date to show as fallen off? I.E. what Chase will base it on...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
You sure about this? The data points indicate that a banker is probably more appropriate to push for this. Like Eminem said, I only got one shot, so I betta make it work the first time.
I have done it without a problem many many times.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I have done it without a problem many many times.
You mean, just calling recon after a pending application, and tell them you are a CPC? That works? O.o

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.