Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Tofe
Applied for SW 'Premier' and 'Plus' last week on the same day. Called in and got the Premier approved with moving around credit. Called in a few days after for the Plus and got denied (at first CSR said it could be approved with moving around credit then he came back and said he was unable to approve it). Did a 2nd recon call today and it was a no go. At this point I am losing hope. Should I call recon again in a few days or just wait some time and re-apply? I am trying to get the SW Companion pass and it will be very difficult to achieve without getting the second 'Plus' card.
Well nobody has replied to me yet but upon reading some of the recent comments, do you guys think reducing the credit line of one of my cards (therefore reducing the overall credit extended to me by Chase) would help me in getting approved if I called back recon again? The CSR did say that Chase has extended the maximum amount of credit to me based on my income reported. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Dylane
I applied for the CSP on Monday. I've received a lot of offers for this card in the past, have a FICO well above 800, and am far from being a churner, just have one credit card that I've had for about 8 years, so was expecting an instant approval...but instead got a 7-10 day waiting message. I didn't think too much about it until I came across this thread and saw that lots of people who got this message were later denied for the card. Since my current card is being transferred to another issuer next month, and I don't want that to happen, I needed to make sure that I was approved for a new card this month so that I can start transferring all my bills over to the new card.

So today I called in to the automated line to check the status, and that just said it was pending. Then I transferred to a live representative who checked and said it was in a 30 day pending period. I explained why I wanted to know sooner than that, and she transferred me to someone who was supposed to be able to give me an immediate decision, but that person took another 10 minutes to check my account, ended up telling me the same thing about a 30 day period, and then transferred me to another rep in an overseas call center. That rep did a bunch of things to confirm my identity, then went and talked to someone else for a few minutes, then came back and approved my application, but said that it would be two weeks before I receive my card. I tried to find out if there was something in my credit file, or other info that made this not a quick and automated process, but she couldn't tell me anything.

Have to say this wasn't a great first impression compared to my experience with Amex, where it seems that the first person you talk to almost always has the authority to help with whatever you need without transferring off to someone else.
They offer expedited services for their premium cards. Call Sapphire Customer Service (1-800-493-3319) and say "I'm going on a trip in the middle of next week and would really love to have this card to use on that trip." I did that on a Wednesday, with a trip on a Saturday morning, and they shipped it overnight on Thursday so I had it on Friday. I later received a duplicate of the card about a week later in regular mail that I'm keeping in a drawer (so I have a pristine one to switch out when this one gets too used). The second card was automatically processed by their system and sent out about ~4 days after my application was approved.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by Tofe
Well nobody has replied to me yet but upon reading some of the recent comments, do you guys think reducing the credit line of one of my cards (therefore reducing the overall credit extended to me by Chase) would help me in getting approved if I called back recon again? The CSR did say that Chase has extended the maximum amount of credit to me based on my income reported. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would certainly try that route. What do you have to loose? If you're interested in applying for any Chase card in the future you don't want to be at your "maximum amout of credit". Before any Chase app, DH and I send a secure message to Chase customer service to request a credit line reduction on our highest line of credit. It seems Chase has started approving our last app up to the amount of credit they are willing to grant - much more than we ever need. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Doctor of Credit just reported that Chase will soon include co-branded cards in the 5/24 rule. So I applied for a Disney Premier card to get in under the wire. 7-10 day pending message.

I'll just wait for a response.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by aglasgow
I would certainly try that route. What do you have to loose? If you're interested in applying for any Chase card in the future you don't want to be at your "maximum amout of credit". Before any Chase app, DH and I send a secure message to Chase customer service to request a credit line reduction on our highest line of credit. It seems Chase has started approving our last app up to the amount of credit they are willing to grant - much more than we ever need. Good luck!
Thanks! I just requested to lower my credit limit by $15k on my Sapphire. I hope it makes a difference. Otherwise, I will need to find out how to get ~60k Southwest miles that qualify towards the Companion Pass.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:22 am

applied for the Ink+ on 1/31, and have had a 2 week message ever since. Today it changed to 7-10 days. Should I expect denial? I would assume if approval it would have said, "Congratulations! You have been approved..."
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by sunshineonlieth
applied for the Ink+ on 1/31, and have had a 2 week message ever since. Today it changed to 7-10 days. Should I expect denial? I would assume if approval it would have said, "Congratulations! You have been approved..."
Did you ever get the 30 days message? That's what the automated line keeps telling me.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:49 am

got the 30 days instantly after applying. Am on the phone with recon right now, it was a denial. Will HUCA.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Doctor of Credit just reported that Chase will soon include co-branded cards in the 5/24 rule.
That worked so well with the CSP that they had to increase the sign up bonus to try to get someone to apply, since most people don't qualify anymore. So now they want to do that with all of their cards?

IF they do, a year from now I'll be down to just a Freedom and a IHG card from Chase. Nothing else is worth the AF, much less doing actual spend with it. Glad to get the heads up though, as I've been tending to put some spend on all of my Chase cards every month, just to keep on their good side. Now that they don't HAVE a good side anymore, there is no reason to spend on any of their co-brand cards unless I need to top off an account for an award.

What are these people thinking? AMEX went to 'once in a lifetime' and their profits have just been tanking ever since. Now Chase wants to follow AMEX into that tank.

So now my spend will go totally to Citi, B of A, and Barclays, all of whom are still letting me churn. I'm a good client if you reward me regularly. But if you decide to punish me for being in this hobby, don't expect me to spend $ on your cards.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:07 pm

Doctor of Credit just reported that Chase will soon include co-branded cards in the 5/24 rule.
"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:43 pm

That will certainly throw a wrench into things. I was just about to close my Hyatt cards to avoid the annual fee and wait for a year to reapply and pick up the two nights, but now that may not be such a good idea. I will have to think long and hard about whether a cat 4 night with a 1 year expiry is worth the $75. Same with $85 for the Marriott card. I guess these questions probably make Chase happy if it changes my mind from closing and reopening later to paying the annual fee, but not so good if I decide that I am better off closing and never reopening.
It does push forward my plans to apply for an IHG and maybe a Marriott business card.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

I find this incredibly hard to believe, and I'd be surprised if the co-brand contracts even allow it.

"I'm switching from American Airlines to United and I'd like the MileagePlus card."

"Sorry, sir, you opened five cards over the past two years. Please come back in 17 months."

A co-brand company would have to be crazy to agree to a hard-and-fast rule like 5/24. Maybe no sign-up bonus for people in violation of 5/24, but no card, period? Makes no sense.

Does "Doctor of Credit" get CC referral commissions? If so, maybe he's hurting for money and needs a rush of commissions or something.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Does "Doctor of Credit" get CC referral commissions? If so, maybe he's hurting for money and needs a rush of commissions or something.
AFAIK no he doesn't.

In fact, he allows folks to post THEIR REFERRAL LINKS

How many other bloggers do that mister?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."
Sounds like something Morgan Freeman would say, or at least sounds cool if you say it in his voice.

I know, I know, Ghostbusters...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:11 pm

check status line lately wants to redirect me to the agent instead of telling me the status. what's that supposed to mean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.